Why I am opposed to the new prix fixe menus... and it isn't just cost!

Imagineer2Be

Mouseketeer
I am very frustrated with the push to the prix fixe menu. I had Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) about a year ago. I can eat about 1 cup of food at a meal. It is a very small amount, but it's working great for me (down nearly 100 pounds!). I leave lots of food on the table no matter where I eat, but I generally order food with this in mind. This isn't an option with the new prix fixe menu.

My husband loves steak and we generally order an app he and the kids like (I'll have a bite or two), two kids meals, and then I will order something else (protein heavy) too and take about half or more back to the room, or trash it. However, having both us us get and app and a dessert is too much and I would be taking so much food home or having to carry it around a lot. I don't mind going to a buffet at Disney if the kids are happy about it and there is something I can eat.

I will eat at these prix fixe places eventually (maybe), but it has to be worth it for the family... aka the family has to really want to go.

I haven't gotten the surgery, but I am working very hard to cut my weight down. Disney is hard enough to stick to it - but sharing meals and sampling is definitely one of the ways we've been trying to do it. I've not done the lounges for many of these places (mostly because I like to actually have a schedule and not wait hours for a table), but I am starting to consider how to do them reasonably.

It's either a prix fixe or a minimum charge per person. Too many people were just ordering a desert and taking up a time slot. Di$ney needs to get the biggest amount from each table and the servers are looking for tips. When 4 people order a desert and call it good at BOG it's not profitable for Di$ney's bottom line or the server. Sadly, I don't see Di$ney reversing course, not with BOG is still busy and booking up. Now you have CG and Space 220 following that pattern. It does seem odd that Di$ney doesn't provide an option for those in your situation as they are always so quick to make changes based on allergies and other issues.

Agreed - really do not like this expensive and limiting trend. But it appears to be here for now, and is likely to be the norm for the future. I also agree with SteveH - places like BOG are still very busy. The new places will also book up. So why would they change anything?

In many ways, they have sorta been doing this already with their buffets. The high price at a place like Mickey's or Boma or Cape May requires a second look sometimes - but it's basically a Prix Fixe that you get up and serve yourself. And those places are always full.

I am frustrated by the increase in these too. No surgeries to make this even more of an issue, but it is not often everyone in our family wants a full 3 course meal. We will sometimes share apps and desserts, but rarely each get one. It is too bad because some of the restaurants are very good, but it is hard to justify the $$$ with a family of 5 for more food than we will eat.

It's absurd, I can rarely finish a regular entree, I don't need extra courses. And my petite teenagers certainly don't. I can certainly understand if they want to set a minimum purchase for each table, but make it a bit more reasonable and give diners the flexibility of how they get there.

The prix fix is absurd for many reasons.
Example, I have a 15, 13 and 11 year old.

At best the 15 year old might get some value for $79 @ Space 220 but no way for my 13 and 11 year old.

They’re obviously trying to make up for no character dining?

I am frustrated by the increase in these too. No surgeries to make this even more of an issue, but it is not often everyone in our family wants a full 3 course meal. We will sometimes share apps and desserts, but rarely each get one. It is too bad because some of the restaurants are very good, but it is hard to justify the $$$ with a family of 5 for more food than we will eat.

I feel your pain, it makes places like Space 220 and now California Grill far out of budget

It's absurd, I can rarely finish a regular entree, I don't need extra courses. And my petite teenagers certainly don't. I can certainly understand if they want to set a minimum purchase for each table, but make it a bit more reasonable and give diners the flexibility of how they get there.
It's ok to skip the bread and only have a few bites of each course.
I tend to prefer entrees too, but when we get a prixe fixe I try to be mindful....more is coming.

Yea that's definitely something I wouldn't consider had you not mentioned it.

I'm personally against it because they charge a 10-year-old the same as any other adult, which I think is generally an unfair assessment of how much food a small child can eat.

I do see from a business perspective why prix fixe is a good thing, and reservations will continue to fill up whether we like it or not, so this is not a surprising move in the Chapek era.

It's either a prix fixe or a minimum charge per person. Too many people were just ordering a desert and taking up a time slot. Di$ney needs to get the biggest amount from each table and the servers are looking for tips. When 4 people order a desert and call it good at BOG it's not profitable for Di$ney's bottom line or the server. Sadly, I don't see Di$ney reversing course, not with BOG is still busy and booking up. Now you have CG and Space 220 following that pattern. It does seem odd that Di$ney doesn't provide an option for those in your situation as they are always so quick to make changes based on allergies and other issues.

You hit the nail on the head. Disney is going to do as much as they want, for as high a prices they can get, because people keep paying.

From strictly a bottom line point of view, they are on track. Why charge a quarter when you can change a dollar. Why worry about someone who wants to pay less when as soon as you open reservations for a restaurant, they "sold" 60 days worth of reservations in just a few minutes.

Funny part is, Disney is also against anyone else trying to do the same thing. Buying out the entire line of shirts and reselling them on ebay where people would pay a premium is something Disney has (thankfully) shut down. But it is in essence the same issue. That lady would not be buying up all that merchandise if the demand was not there.

Think about Space 220. All reservations were handed out within minutes (if not seconds) of them being announced. Don't you think if it sold out that quickly, The next place Disney opens with that type of demand, why would their Prix fixe menus cost twice as much? Does Disney really care if it takes an hour or even a day to sell out the first few months?

I am against it as well. I have a 15 year old picky vegetarian. Typically with the limited entrees on the prix fixe menu there is nothing she will eat, and with Disney's new- we don't modify or leave any ingredient off the meal policy- it is about impossible. If she was ordering on her own, she would order one of the salads and dessert-- maybe 2 of the salads or a salad and a different appetizer and dessert if they are small and she is hungry. This summer in a non-disney hotel where we stayed for one night and had to eat they were doing a prix fixe menu with pre-made food due to covid and I paid $65 for her to have a house salad and water.

I would much rather have a minimum price requirement so that she can pick and choose from the salads, appetizers, soups and desserts, instead of being forced into whatever the ONE vegetarian entree option is that is something she won't touch.

Last edited:
Sure, I suppose we could each just eat a few bites of food for $600 including tax and gratuity.
[/QUOTE
I am against it as well. I have a 15 year old picky vegetarian. Typically with the limited entrees on the prix fixe menu there is nothing she will eat, and with Disney's new- we don't modify or leave any ingredient off the meal policy- it is about impossible. If she was ordering on her own, she would order one of the salads and dessert-- maybe 2 of the salads or a salad and a different appetizer and dessert if they are small and she is hungry. This summer in a non-disney hotel where we stayed for one night and had to eat they were doing a prix fixe menu with pre-made food due to covid and I paid $65 for her to have a house salad and water.

I would much less have a minimum price requirement so that she can pick and choose from the salads, appetizers, soups and desserts, instead of being forced into whatever the ONE vegetarian entree option is that is something she won't touch.

Same . I’m picky as are my older teens . We would prob go once if we order a child’s entree and receive the app and even pay adults price if an option

Sure, I suppose we could each just eat a few bites of food for $600 including tax and gratuity.
We had 5 kids ages 3-7 at BOG and they ate almost nothing but we still had to pay for them and the 6 adults plus gratuity (they added it in).

I tried to get a reservation for our dates in October but no luck. I want to see the inside. But, it is just DH and I on this trip.

You can thank the people abusing the system for the changes. Families going to BOG and ordering a cupcakes not unusual. Disney doesn't want people booking a popular restaurant and then just ordering drinks or desserts to enjoy the atmosphere. It was becoming too common so the prix fixe menus fixed it.

I understand your point but at the same time, this isn't really new since with the character dining and buffets it is this way. I can't count how many times I've paid $30-40 or whatever the cost for a 3 or 4 year old to eat a couple strawberries or the like. Even as a Disney "adult" eating at CRT she didn't like what was offered and they gave her a larger portion of the most expensive chicken nuggets ever. But it was our choice. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I figure just like resort prices or past character dining, you're paying for the experience. If you don't like it, don't eat there. If you want the experience, they pay the charge.

I hear you...

My allergies make it impossible for me to eat desserts on menus, b/c the vegan subs always have tree nuts (unless it's sorbet, and 1/2 the time, that's mango)...

So, I already miss one course...and while I will eat meat/veg, you then are adapting all the sides and sauces with them, and I hate to do that for multiple courses b/c I want the kitchen's attention once (b/c every extra time you need it, you risk more screw ups).

On Space's menu, as is, I don't think I could eat a main course as is...and I could eat one sorbet and one app from the "pre fixe"...

So, for the 3 course, I'm looking at the tuna (which is the only app I can eat, as is, I think, if it's the "norm" type Asian dish), no main, and strawberry sorbet...

But, if I could order what I wanted, I'd get the tuna app, the brussels side, and probably split the lounge deviled eggs or fried potatoes side with my kids (so I'd have 3 courses and ate when they did)...and I'd be happy...

And all my kids and spouse would go 3 courses, so Disney would make out, but they won't b/c my fam wouldn't make me go somewhere I couldn't eat or wouldn't eat - and right now, I wouldn't eat for $100 to just get tuna and a scoop of sorbet...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter