Why I am opposed to the new prix fixe menus... and it isn't just cost!

My motion sickness doesn’t let me do 3D movies, but I don’t have an issue with them existing. I just pick other attractions and rides that are better for my needs.

Same deal here. There are plenty of restaurants out there at Disney World that are NOT prix fixe. I don’t understand making a big deal out of the … three … that are. It’s great that there are different options for different people.

My motion sickness doesn’t let me do 3D movies, but I don’t have an issue with them existing. I just pick other attractions and rides that are better for my needs. Same deal here. There are plenty of restaurants out there at Disney World that are NOT prix fixe. I don’t understand making a big deal out of the … three … that are.

California Grill seems to have added itself to the list (possibly) for the 50th...still TBD if they will offer their regular menu...

I guess I'm mobile ordering Pecos Bill from now on.

Apparently, we will be right there with you! No way I am paying $89 for my 11 year old to eat nothing. I can't even eat all of that food! Well, it was good while it lasted and I'm glad we got one last trip in a couple of months ago when it was the Wave. Obviously, my family is not the target demographic that they are aiming for. it's not that I can't afford it, it's that I'm not going to. Our best friends are VERY well off and have no issue spending money on trips, nice dinners and hotels and even they won't pay rack rate at AKL, even though it's their dream hotel. So I'm not sure who their demographic is that they are aiming at anymore.

You hit the nail on the head. Disney is going to do as much as they want, for as high a prices they can get, because people keep paying.

From strictly a bottom line point of view, they are on track. Why charge a quarter when you can change a dollar. Why worry about someone who wants to pay less when as soon as you open reservations for a restaurant, they "sold" 60 days worth of reservations in just a few minutes.

Funny part is, Disney is also against anyone else trying to do the same thing. Buying out the entire line of shirts and reselling them on ebay where people would pay a premium is something Disney has (thankfully) shut down. But it is in essence the same issue. That lady would not be buying up all that merchandise if the demand was not there.

Think about Space 220. All reservations were handed out within minutes (if not seconds) of them being announced. Don't you think if it sold out that quickly, The next place Disney opens with that type of demand, why would their Prix fixe menus cost twice as much? Does Disney really care if it takes an hour or even a day to sell out the first few months?

You are not incorrect, but it should be acknowledged this is not the only way to run a business. And more to the point it was not how Disney quite successfully ran its business for decades. The balance between guest satisfaction and max pricing has been gradually tipping toward the latter for quite some time, but it is clear they are now taking a major leap in that direction. This is not a given. It is a perfectly reasonable business strategy to leave some $'s on the table now in an effort to increase longer term satisfaction and results. When it comes to prix fixe menus specifically, its a choice between increasing guest satisfaction/loyalty by giving guests choices (still quite expensive choices) and attempting to maximize revenue by removing those choices and charging even more. Neither option is inherently right or wrong, they are just different ways of approaching the business.

So yes, Chapek's Disney "going to do as much as they want, for as high a prices they can get, because people keep paying." That is clear. But it is quite reasonable to point out this is not the only responsible path to take, and it can definitely be argued it is a strategy that increases the chances of longer term negative consequences.

I understand your point but at the same time, this isn't really new since with the character dining and buffets it is this way. I can't count how many times I've paid $30-40 or whatever the cost for a 3 or 4 year old to eat a couple strawberries or the like. Even as a Disney "adult" eating at CRT she didn't like what was offered and they gave her a larger portion of the most expensive chicken nuggets ever. But it was our choice. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I figure just like resort prices or past character dining, you're paying for the experience. If you don't like it, don't eat there. If you want the experience, they pay the charge.

The thing is, with the character meals, you can (kind of) justify the cost as paying for "not having to stand in the character lines" and to get "precious photo memories". I just can't see myself paying that much extra just for décor.

I haven't had weight loss surgery, but I know people who have, and others with various allergies, and I sympathize with the OP and others affected by these changes. A theme park isn't really a great place to carry around leftovers. If Disney needs to make so much per table to run this type of restaurant, I wish they'd charge a "table fee" for the "show" and then let people order what they can actually eat.

Same deal here. There are plenty of restaurants out there at Disney World that are NOT prix fixe. I don’t understand making a big deal out of the … three … that are. It’s great that there are different options for different people.

Prix fix is not some kind of option added because some guests prefer it. It is the removal of options for all guests, and it just may so happen that some guests don't care because they would have ordered what was on the prix fixe menu anyway.

But sure, 3 restaurants is not too big of a deal. Of course if you think it stops at 3 I've got a bridge to sell you... ;)

You are not incorrect, but it should be acknowledged this is not the only way to run a business. And more to the point it was not how Disney quite successfully ran its business for decades. The balance between guest satisfaction and max pricing has been gradually tipping toward the latter for quite some time, but it is clear they are now taking a major leap in that direction. This is not a given. It is a perfectly reasonable business strategy to leave some $'s on the table now in an effort to increase longer term satisfaction and results. When it comes to prix fixe menus specifically, its a choice between increasing guest satisfaction/loyalty by giving guests choices (still quite expensive choices) and attempting to maximize revenue by removing those choices and charging even more. Neither option is inherently right or wrong, they are just different ways of approaching the business.

So yes, Chapek's Disney "going to do as much as they want, for as high a prices they can get, because people keep paying." That is clear. But it is quite reasonable to point out this is not the only responsible path to take, and it can definitely be argued it is a strategy that increases the chances of longer term negative consequences.
I agree...

I have read and researched a lot about Walt Disney since I first went there back in the late 70s. I do not think Walt would be happy with what his park experience has become.

I have said on a few threads, as a DVC and out of state AP holder, I think Disney does not realize we are their bread and butter business. Yes, the VIP tour may bring in a huge bundle for very small operational cost, but we are the people that keep returning. And while we try to do things as economically as possible, I also find myself doing more substitutions. Leaving the park, going to Nathans instead of Casey's, or Olive Garden instead of Biergarten. I assume those substitutions will only increase since my overall entertainment budget has not.

I agree, if you drive away your bread and butter customers, what will you have left when "élite" have all completed their one and done trips?

I see both side of the argument here. I've not had any surgery but I am a small person with a small appetite. I eat small amounts often. It's one of the reason we don't do the buffets, it really is a waste of money for me (for my son not so much because he can his portion and mine and still be hungry) plus I don't like serving myself on vacation. I was at Chefs de France in April and they tried to sell me on the Prix Fixe option since I was ordering a salad, entre and glass of wine. I knew I wasn't getting a dessert and I had already done the math as to what I was going to order so I came out better ordering ala carte.

Like a few others have mentioned, you can avoid those restaurants, thankfully there are a lot of places to eat at Disney. Would I like to try Space 22? Frankly, probably not since not much on the menu appeals to me. If CG goes prix fixe will I go there? Probably, it's worth it for me because I've always had good food and good service (which is almost more important than the food to me) there. Heck, I once spent over $700 for a meal at V&A's for my son and myself. Believe me, I didn't eat the entire 7 courses nor did I drink all the wine in my flight. I knew it was going to be a one time experience for us and I knew going in I wasn't going to eat all or even taste some of the courses. I'm not a fan of seafood and a couple of the courses were just that. I knew I could have told them in advance I didn't like seafood but I also knew I wasn't going to be able to eat everything anyway.

I really don’t being locked in on what to order. That’s why we don’t buy the DDP. We've gotten it when it’s “free” (4 people in a moderate is/was the best deal) and then just supplement with apps if we wanted.

For some reason I don’t mind it too much at BOG or Space 220 since I consider those theme park restaurants and BOG didn’t have the greatest food even before it went prix fixe. The price isn’t usually worth the food quality for in the park restaurants. So those are easy enough for me to skip over.

It bothers me a bit at CG. We enjoy CG. The food is excellent. The fireworks view is amazing. Once we did sushi and apps. Along with drinks and dessert. Our bill was more than the prix fixe. The cost is in line with quality. Even for prices back at home. Now I will think about skipping it if they don’t eventually go back to a normal menu.

I get why they do this after the BOG cupcake fiascos. Or the CG folks that order a dessert so they can watch the fireworks.

This summer in a non-disney hotel where we stayed for one night and had to eat they were doing a prix fixe menu with pre-made food due to covid and I paid $65 for her to have a house salad and water.
holy crap...that's nuts.

So that eliminates AYCTE, pre-fixe menus, etc? Are you going during a festival? There are still ways to enjoy a nice meal. You all take Disney's choices so personally. The reality is that Disney doesn't care that you can't/won't eat like that. Move on and find something that suits your whole family.

My biggest problem with prix fixe menus is that it is very easy to waste food. There is so much food left on plates because some people simply can't eat it all. A la carte options still have food waste but it is significantly less. Add in the price, and then you feel guilty leaving anything on the plate and then end up way too full.

I also had WLS last year. I can eat maybe half a dish a meal, that's on a good day. So we are limiting our buffets and Prix Fixe menus. I think we are doing BOG or CRT, and maybe 3 buffets. (Total 10-day trip). It's also why we would never do the DDP.

My biggest problem with prix fixe menus is that it is very easy to waste food. There is so much food left on plates because some people simply can't eat it all. A la carte options still have food waste but it is significantly less. Add in the price, and then you feel guilty leaving anything on the plate and then end up way too full.

Do you feel the same way about buffets?

I also had WLS last year. I can eat maybe half a dish a meal, that's on a good day. So we are limiting our buffets and Prix Fixe menus. I think we are doing BOG or CRT, and maybe 3 buffets. (Total 10-day trip). It's also why we would never do the DDP.

I would do the QS one if they had it this upcoming trip. It fits our family better right now with little kids who want chicken nuggets and pizza regularly.

I think that if the family wanted strongly to do a meal we would do it, but I have little kids and so right now the character are what the trips are about. I have done a lot of the big hitters already (BOG, CRT, CG, etc. pre WLS) and did Tusker House this past summer post WLS. Yes it's a waste of money, but the kids loved it. One kid only at white rice and cupcake frosting, but we interacted with characters for the first time that trip (to me that made it worth it). We only did 2 sit down meals over 4 days. This upcoming trip will probably be similar with a plan for a sit down meal every other day.

We have two with food allergies, and a T1 diabetic. These new menus have very little we can eat. I'm not cheap, and am very willing to pay for an experience. But I absolutely hate being wasteful, and paying a premium price for food we can't eat. When I was first trying to address my own food allergies, I ate "Whole 30". I had mostly great experiences talking to "the chef" and ordering dinners that were loads of vegies and seafood/chicken/steak. I didn't mind paying for the ability to eat food that was good for me. But I don't need huge quantities of food. My son with food allergies does pretty well with allergy menus, but my T1 daughter has a very hard time finding meals that don't make her feel awful.

We were always regulars at BOG for both breakfast and lunch before the "changes" and haven't been back since. Sad.

Last edited:
I had WLS 7 years ago so have learned to adapt... yes, even to Disney... over the years. Prix-fix or buffets are only worth it for me for the experience so I generally avoid them. I've never eaten in the Castle, but have been contemplating the big splurge for next trip... a few bites of this, a couple of bites of that and I think I'd be happy for the experience. Haven't been to BOG since they went all prix-fix but that is another lovely place to dine and I might perhaps return to in the future.

The trend to more prix-fix, though, I find discouraging since a menu does allow me more latitude to select something appropriate to my nutritional needs... i.e. protein... and limited appetite. The new space restaurant at Epcot is a major disappointment. Not only is it prix-fix, there is little I would even eat... not a single "lift-off" on the menu. I'm sure this is someone's idea of a great menu... just not mine.

More and more places are crossed off my list. I feel sorry for families, though, who are trying to provide exciting and interesting dining especially for their little ones... paying through the nose for a half eaten chicken nugget is just crazy!

I would do the QS one if they had it this upcoming trip. It fits our family better right now with little kids who want chicken nuggets and pizza regularly.

I think that if the family wanted strongly to do a meal we would do it, but I have little kids and so right now the character are what the trips are about. I have done a lot of the big hitters already (BOG, CRT, CG, etc. pre WLS) and did Tusker House this past summer post WLS. Yes it's a waste of money, but the kids loved it. One kid only at white rice and cupcake frosting, but we interacted with characters for the first time that trip (to me that made it worth it). We only did 2 sit down meals over 4 days. This upcoming trip will probably be similar with a plan for a sit down meal every other day.
That is where we are at, also. I will have a then 6 and 8 year old, both who eat almost exclusively fruits and veggies along with the occasional pizza and chicken nuggets lol. Tusker House, Chef Mickey, and Trattatoria Al Forno if the characters come back. Then probably CRT or BOG for the "experience". Otherwise, it will be QS or TS with a "per entree" pricing.

OP: I'm sure you've considered this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway--there are plenty of wonderful TS restaurants throughout WDW that aren't prix fixe and you can order a la carte. If you want to do a lot of character meals, though, the prix fixe menu can be a problem, so perhaps you could limit the number of prix fixe meals you have in any given trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter