Why give Florida residents a discount?

I don't know that it's all that common to have local discounts at other venues around the country. I'm hardly a scientific sample, but I live in the St Louis area, which is not a tourist destination, and our Six Flags has no local discount. You can get season passes for a value, but anyone could get those, not just locals. Most other venues around town have no local discount, presumably because the majority of visitors ARE local, so there's no benefit to discounting most tickets you sell. We often visit family in Chicago and it's similar there - no locals discounts usually - except sometimes free resident days once a month or so. I'd calculate that those days are again about keeping up a good corporate name, getting locals in the door so they tell friends and family about it and attract more visitors.
Sometimes the locals' discounts are tucked away in such a manner that only the locals will know about them. Examples: the $10 off coupon on the Coke cans, and discount coupons at Kroger/Albertsons/Name-your-supermarket...
As for free resident days -- that's a 100% discount!
And the Six Flags annual is a great deal (in a Six Flags sort of way) when you consider that it includes ALL their parks, not just your local park...

Sometimes the locals' discounts are tucked away in such a manner that only the locals will know about them. Examples: the $10 off coupon on the Coke cans, and discount coupons at Kroger/Albertsons/Name-your-supermarket...
As for free resident days -- that's a 100% discount!
And the Six Flags annual is a great deal (in a Six Flags sort of way) when you consider that it includes ALL their parks, not just your local park...

Good point about the "secret" coupons. Certainly available to all, but possibly only known to locals, so it's basically a locals discount. Of course the free days are 100% off (I wasn't very articulate about it) but they are on off days and rare, (12 Tuesday's a year, or even 12 Thursday's a year after 3pm) such that I'd consider that pretty different from a "come any day, or 75% of our days at a discount" promotion. The 6 Flags annual deal IS great, but not limited to locals - one reason being exactly as you stated - ability to use it at OTHER 6 Flags parks.

All of this trying to say that Disney certainly has business reasons for offering local discounts, but I'm not so sure that keeping up with the Jones' because "most/many other venues offer local discounts" is accurate.

I think because of the recent increase in crowds, it seems like Disney is trying to discourage they "day tripper". It is pretty obvious with their promotions and steep discount on multi-day tickets they want you there for 4-10 days .. dining and spending money on all sorts of souvenirs. People who just come for the day .. or the night, don't do that as much (or at all).

I got to know some Orlando locals on a mission trip and it was amazing to hear about their day trips to Disney. Daughter wants to see a princess? Just pop in the car and go to MK for a few hours and go home, no different than you or I going to the mall. Since everything is already paid for in advance (AP tickets, parking) Disney doesn't really make anything off of that guest in food, souvenirs or hotel stays.

So they could probably do away with the Florida discount to discourage that, but instead I think they just chose to increase annual passes prices and do this tiered pricing.

It is a good will thing though .. and since Flordia is a BIG state .. I am sure there are plenty of locals that actually vacation to Disney for more than just a day (since it would still be a few hour drive to Orlando).

There are a few things they could do that would cut crowds down if that is what they really wanted to do while still giving discounts to Floridians for things like hotel rooms etc.

First would be to take away the free parking with the annual passes. Second would be to get rid of the monthly payment plan for Florida APs (not available for out-of-state APs).

There are a few things they could do that would cut crowds down if that is what they really wanted to do while still giving discounts to Floridians for things like hotel rooms etc.

First would be to take away the free parking with the annual passes. Second would be to get rid of the monthly payment plan for Florida APs (not available for out-of-state APs).

I think the monthly plan would be the big hit. For awhile if you had seasonal, weekdays or after four Epcot they did not have free parking you had to pay for it. They just added the free parking recently to those passes.

Well, the just ADDED free parking to the Weekday Select and Silver Pass this year. In the past, those levels had to pay for parking.

I'm laughing at the concept that Florida residents don't spend as much money at Disney as other folks. I should add up all my spending at Disney over the past year, between merchandise, food, and an anniversary stay at the Dolphin, and see what it comes out to.

I think the monthly plan would be the big hit. For awhile if you had seasonal, weekdays or after four Epcot they did not have free parking you had to pay for it. They just added the free parking recently to those passes.

That's right they did add it, which makes me think reducing crowds is not not the goal of any of this. And they always had free parking for regular Florida APs.

Yeah but they always had free parking for regular Florida APs.

True but a lack of free parking does not mean that Floridians stop buying the other passes. I purchased a seasonal without parking due to the fact that I at the time stayed on Disney property anyway and it was a moot point.
I still think that losing the monthly payment plan would be the kicker. Having to pay that amount up front would most likely make more AP holders in Florida reconsider.

When I started staying elsewhere the lack of free parking became more of an issue. I stated on a Disney survey that I wished there was a discount on parking fees for seasonal and other passes that did not receive the free parking benefit. The lack of the free parking would get some Floridians.

Last edited:
Because. WDW is a huge part of our economy here in Florida. HUGE! Most of my friends here worked, have worked or know others that have worked at Disney/universal/Sea World or a combo of all three.

Disney uses our land, water, and human resources. They are in our politics constantly. Ever wonder why Rosie O'Gradies closed? Two words - Pleasure Island. Disney is in everything down here.

When 911 happened and people were terrified to fly, florida residents saved Disney by going there. After our trifecta of hurricanes hit Orlando, Florida residents saved Disney. We make Disney.

So, yeah, Disney owes Florida residents a lot. They are a big mouse around here and need to court us instead of screwing us around here.

Uuuuuuuuuuh, I believe it's the other way around. Florida residents owe Disney a lot. It was nothing but a swamp before Disney came to town.

Uuuuuuuuuuh, I believe it's the other way around. Florida residents owe Disney a lot. It was nothing but a swamp before Disney came to town.

Orlando was a cow town but Florida had a nice tourism business before they came to town. Part of the Reason Walt Disney came here was an already established trade that was already down here. It got amped up when Disney came for central Florida.

We already had Northerners coming down here for the warm Florida weather and more started coming after WWII.

AT least that's what I learned in Florida History classes and was also told during Disney traditions.

Last edited:
I know the parks are more crowded then ever. Attendance is up a lot and it doesn't seem like it is going to slow down anytime soon. I always wondered why Disney gives a great discount to Florida residents. There are many amusement parks that don't give discounts just because you live in the same state the park is in. I don't think Disney owes anything to Florida residents and since they are looking to cut down on crowds, maybe they should not discount Florida residents anymore. I am sure if I was a Florida resident, I wouldn't go for this idea but why crowd the parks with Florida residents who pay considerably less? Does anyone else in other parts of the country, get discounts because they are a state resident? Why does Disney discount Florida residents?

Agree 100%. At one time when the resort was growing and the massive expansion of new hotels was taking place, Disney needed to offer a discount to Florida residents. That time has come and gone. Other then the possible political reason, which I believe Disney has out grown, it's a tradition of the corporation that needs to go away.

I agree. I'm a little protective of Fl, especially it's environment here. And Disney does get major major taxs brakes - which is annoying b/c the land there is so very valuable, they should be paying more.

My husband loved going to Downtown Orlando for concerts and bars. Both our former major (who cut the deal for PI) and Disney pretty much killed what was there of downtown. It's taken a few years to recover.

It's pretty much a fact that Disney transformed Florida. But I do think it strains us. Getting discounts is a small price for us.

I also take it as a gesture of goodwill. We give you guys orange juice when you drive across the boarder, no? That's nice.

Did Disney offer a Cali discount when it began? Maybe it's a continuation?

Either way, I'm still in the "Disney owes Florida" camp.

Last edited:
And then Disney killed Pleasure Island to put up a glorified shopping mall with stores and restaurants you can find in most every major city in the USA and quite a few minor ones too!

Disney has been making moves to discourage Florida residents from being in the parks during peak times but doesn't want to get rid of the locals entirely.

I'm laughing at the concept that Florida residents don't spend as much money at Disney as other folks. I should add up all my spending at Disney over the past year, between merchandise, food, and an anniversary stay at the Dolphin, and see what it comes out to.

Laughing with you. I'm from Fl and have been going since '72. DH and I since '78. DD since '86. We are not day trippers and we don't have an AP. We always stay on site for at least 2-3 nights. We can go because of FL resident or military discounts. There are other discounts out there that are available to anyone. I have also gotten a pin in an email/snail mail or when calling to make a reservation.

Orlando was a cow town but Florida had a nice tourism business before they came to town. Part of the Reason Walt Disney came here was an already established trade that was already down here. It got amped up when Disney came for central Florida.

We already had Northerners coming down here for the warm Florida weather and more started coming after WWII.

AT least that's what I learned in Florida History classes and was also told during Disney traditions.

Yes Florida has always had its beach tourism and yes Orlando was once, nothing but part cow town, part swamp, but Disney has brought Trillions of dollars to Orlando and the state of Florida. Without Disney, there would be no Universal, There would be no Legoland, no Sea World, no MCO, no NBA Basketball team, 90% of the golf courses would not exist around Orlando, no nothing. 95% of all other industrial/Commercial development would not exist. It would still be just a cow town in the middle of a swamp. And you probably wouldn't live there today.

Last edited:

I'm laughing right along with you too. Plus, not all Floridians live in Orlando or within an hour of Disney. I live in Florida but 6.5 hours away and I still went 6 times last year and every trip was at least 4 days. I used to live in Iowa and usually would only get down to the World about 2 times a year. I am a DVC owner (have been for 18 years) and an AP holder (have been for about 6-7 years) and I have too say that as a Florida resident I now spend more money and time at Disney than I did when I lived in Iowa.

OP - Disney also gives discounts (mostly dining and on APs) to Disney Vacation Club members who live all over the country and world - should they take these away too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter