Why give Florida residents a discount?

Good point about the "secret" coupons. Certainly available to all, but possibly only known to locals, so it's basically a locals discount. Of course the free days are 100% off (I wasn't very articulate about it) but they are on off days and rare, (12 Tuesday's a year, or even 12 Thursday's a year after 3pm) such that I'd consider that pretty different from a "come any day, or 75% of our days at a discount" promotion. The 6 Flags annual deal IS great, but not limited to locals - one reason being exactly as you stated - ability to use it at OTHER 6 Flags parks.

All of this trying to say that Disney certainly has business reasons for offering local discounts, but I'm not so sure that keeping up with the Jones' because "most/many other venues offer local discounts" is accurate.

The difference is that here in St. Louis, Six Flags is the only game in town. It doesn't have competition from nearby amusement parks like Disney World does. And as you said, St. Louis isn't a tourist destination so it doesn't really need to give locals much of a break since we're the core customers as it is. Now if St. Louis was a tourist destination and there were several other similar venues competing for the same dollars, I suspect each venue would offer some sort of perk to the locals to pull those dollars into their coffers rather than their competitors.

If that is what they think, that would be even more ridiculous to suggest that only people who can go to Disney for the day shouldn't be given discounts. I am hoping the OP just doesn't understand the geography or size of Florida, maybe they have the impression that everyone can drive to the parks for the day.

If you will READ the post CAREFULLLY, nothing like that was EVER said, or implied. Everyone knows how big Florida is. Everyone knows that a large numbers of Floridians are not day trippers, and probably stay in the same percentages at Disney Resorts as other people from other states do. Bottom line is, when Disney was going though its major expansion of the parks and the resorts, Disney offered Florida residents discounts to help increase attendance and occupancy. Now those numbers have increased significantly from people around the world and there's no need for Disney to continue offering Florida residents a discount.

We have APs... It takes us about an hour and half from driveway to parking lot, depending on traffic. We have been to the parks every week so far this year. My husband has an unexpected Friday off, so I just booked a Thursday night stay with dining plan for next week. We're going to check out Flower and Garden and then take advantage of HS EMH on Friday night. The average person just can't do that and I think that's why Disney likes to keep us around. ;)

A typical park outing for us looks like this:
Leave home at around 4pm, arrive at parks by 6pm. Wander around, grab some popcorn, complete our fast passes, eat something for dinner, maybe grab a coffee or funnel cake, watch fireworks, wait for the crowds to clear out so we can take advantage of the final hour, once the park closes we like to mosey around while my husband take pictures, talk to cast members, etc. It's very low key, but always different. That's why we love going back. Every single trip is different.

Now once the crowds start picking up and the temperature rises we will greatly decrease our visits. We don't mind summer blackout dates because it's mostly hot and miserable. We will do a 2 day stay in May and probably again in September.

Just curious, prior to FP+, did y'all go to the parks every week?

If you will READ the post CAREFULLLY, nothing like that was EVER said, or implied. Everyone knows how big Florida is. Everyone knows that a large numbers of Floridians are not day trippers, and probably stay in the same percentages at Disney Resorts as other people from other states do. Bottom line is, when Disney was going though its major expansion of the parks and the resorts, Disney offered Florida residents discounts to help increase attendance and occupancy. Now those numbers have increased significantly from people around the world and there's no need for Disney to continue offering Florida residents a discount.

I don't know which post you are referring to but I'll stand by mine.

Does anyone know what percentage of Florida residents (most likely with a discounted AP) visit the parks on the weekends? On our last trip we went to Hollywood Studios (recommended park) on a Saturday (one of the slowest weeks of the year) and the place was packed. Waited almost an hour for Great American Movie ride. Fantasmic at night was mobbed. I assume a lot of the guests were locals.

OP here. I am not saying that Florida residents don't stay on-site or spend money in Disney. I am just questioning why they should get a discount? Maybe things are done different up North (northern NJ) but we don't get any type of discount for going to amusement parks if we live in the state. We are very close to NY and we go to attractions there and I have never seen "NY resident discount" nor have I ever seen a discount for Pennsylvania residents who visit Hershey Park. I am just wondering why Florida/Disney gives their residents a discount. I do not think this is the "norm". I guess it's a nice thing to do but if Disney is trying to cut down on crowds, perhaps they shouldn't give discounts to the residents of the state. On the weekends it seems like the parks are always packed and I always read, "the locals are filling the parks".

When we were in DFW we could get discounted tickets to Six Flags Over Texas, Sea World San Antonio, the museums... In California there are a variety of parks you can get local discounted passes for.

If it's "the locals" who are filling up the parks, especially this past weekend, then they were very strange locals. The ones I know swear they aren't coming until after Easter due to spring break crowds, and these are the ones who can see the fireworks from their driveways. Then again, these were color coded with backpacks and flags and everything! :rainbow:

I also would believe that Florida residents with an AP, probably use them a lot more then people who buy AP's from out of state. I could be wrong but I am sure Disney knows how many days are used by AP holders.

I know the parks are more crowded then ever. Attendance is up a lot and it doesn't seem like it is going to slow down anytime soon. I always wondered why Disney gives a great discount to Florida residents. There are many amusement parks that don't give discounts just because you live in the same state the park is in. I don't think Disney owes anything to Florida residents and since they are looking to cut down on crowds, maybe they should not discount Florida residents anymore. I am sure if I was a Florida resident, I wouldn't go for this idea but why crowd the parks with Florida residents who pay considerably less? Does anyone else in other parts of the country, get discounts because they are a state resident? Why does Disney discount Florida residents?

What you have to remember is that there are two kinds of Florida residents. The locals who can drop in when they want, even after work just for an ice cream and fireworks, that would make my day. But those people may go in, buy dinner, buy drinks, spend money ... and never get in one line, just spend money.

And there are many who live in Florida but not so close they go there for the day. Those folks still spend plenty on hotels, food, drinks and more. They may go once a month for long weekends and in the end spend way more than one family might spend traveling once per year.

Having an AP doesn't mean you hang out there all the time, it only means that it make financial sense. If they want to go one day a month, it makes sense. I have an AP, leave 8 hours away (not FL) and try to get there 5-6 times a year for 35-45 days total. If I moved somewhere in Florida (would not be close to Orlando) I would probably go more often but stay less days. FL AP rate gives me that little extra cash to make it more often and spend more money - and in the end they will probably make more money from me than I saved.

I believe they are referring to locals, day trippers. People who live within a specific radius of Orlando - Tampa etc. that (PRIMARILY) don't stay in Disney owned resorts. (And I know there are plenty from Tampa that stay in Disney Resorts), but a large number don't.

If that is what they think, that would be even more ridiculous to suggest that only people who can go to Disney for the day shouldn't be given discounts. I am hoping the OP just doesn't understand the geography or size of Florida, maybe they have the impression that everyone can drive to the parks for the day.

I don't know which post you are referring to but I'll stand by mine.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me.

Let's see.
- YOU spoke for the OP saying you believe they were referring to day trippers who should not receive discounts.
- I said it's ridiculous if that is what they meant since the discussion is Florida resident discounts, and most Florida residents are not day trippers.
- I said that if so I hope the OP is not up on her geography to not realize most in the state can not day trip.
- YOU attack me for not reading "the post" - since I was talking about two posts - you did not clarify.
- YOU said everyone knows how big Florida is .. sadly a great many people in our country know nothing about other states or parts of the country.
- YOU said everyone knows large numbers of Floridians are not day trippers, not sure where you get that data but I certainly wouldn't presume that at all.
- YOU present as your fact as to why there are Florida discounts.
- Well ... Florida discounts have been around well over 30 years, during good times and bad, and at any point Disney could have eliminated them. They haven't.
- Instead this last round Disney increased Florida residents options and gave them more opportunity for free parking and free photopass.
- In addition each year Disney usually offers some great deals on regular tickets to Florida residents along with hotel and other discounts. Always courting them.

Disney clearly feels Florida residents are an important part of their bottom line.
I also note they are not giving those tickets away. Yes they are discounted but some of the better priced ones still come with considerable restrictions.

And it absolutely shouldn't matter to any other guest whether Florida residents get some discounts, that is Disney's business.

Because. WDW is a huge part of our economy here in Florida. HUGE! Most of my friends here worked, have worked or know others that have worked at Disney/universal/Sea World or a combo of all three.

Disney uses our land, water, and human resources. They are in our politics constantly. Ever wonder why Rosie O'Gradies closed? Two words - Pleasure Island. Disney is in everything down here.

When 911 happened and people were terrified to fly, florida residents saved Disney by going there. After our trifecta of hurricanes hit Orlando, Florida residents saved Disney. We make Disney.

So, yeah, Disney owes Florida residents a lot. They are a big mouse around here and need to court us instead of screwing us around here.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you are flattering yourself. Through its policies, Disney makes clear who makes Disney, and that is the guests shelling out dollars for over-priced resort rooms. EMH, first priority for entry when the gates are closed due to crowd level, etc. Except in California, where they have a fraction of the resort room capacity, so they extend EMH to certain multi-day passes as well as resort guests.

The reason for local discounts has been established on several posts here: Locals fill in the slow times, as their proximity gives them the ability to visit during less crowded days. This generates revenue in the form of F&B even if it doesn't generate incremental ticket revenue. Because locals live within easy commute of the parks, they more price conscious than visitors from other states or countries. We are planning to visit for Spring Break week, and because of the expense of flying, our resort, rental car, etc., whether our 7 day tickets ran $1,049 or $1,349 bears little on our decision.

Disney is a business, and as a business, wants to maximize its revenues and minimize its costs. The corporate leaders harbor no sentimental debt toward you as a Florida resident or even toward their cast members. The policies they set, such as discount passes for Fla and Ca locals, are part of their profit calculus.

Last edited:
As a local I'd also like to add that we don't visit the parks during the really busy times unless there is something special going on or we have company in town.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you are flattering yourself. Through its policies, Disney makes clear who makes Disney, and that is the guests shelling out dollars for over-priced resort rooms. EMH, first priority for entry when the gates are closed due to crowd level, etc. Except in California, where they have a fraction of the resort room capacity, so they extend EMH to certain multi-day passes as well as resort guests.

The reason for local discounts has been established on several posts here: Locals fill in the slow times, as their proximity gives them the ability to visit during less crowded days. This generates revenue in the form of F&B even if it doesn't generate incremental ticket revenue. Because locals live within easy commute of the parks, they more price conscious than visitors from other states or countries. We are planning to visit for Spring Break week, and because of the expense of flying, our resort, rental car, etc., whether our 7 day tickets ran $1,049 or $1,349 bears little on our decision.

Disney is a business, and as a business, wants to maximize its revenues and minimize its costs. The corporate leaders harbor no sentimental debt toward you as a Florida resident or even toward their cast members. The policies they set, such as discount passes for Fla and Ca locals, are part of their profit calculus.
I agree. Disney has made it clear that those who stay onsite particularly those once in a lifetime visitors matter the most. That's not to say that others don't matter at all but they would be those who fill in the gaps. After all earning a few dollars isn't as good as earning a lot but it's still better than nothing.

Totally agree! I take real vacations there at least 3 weeks a year plus my long weekends every 6 to 8 weeks. Been doing that since I moved to FL in 91. I have 3 children, now adults, who grew up in the parks.
I don't understand why everyone assumes that Floridians don't take "real vacations" at WDW. This comes up all the time, and it's just not true. I was there for ten days in January, I'll be there for ten days later this month, and have plans to spend another couple weeks in the fall at WDW. All staying on property, eating Disney food, buying Disney souvenirs, etc., the same way any out of state vacationer would. All this and I can see WDW from my house - so I wouldn't have to stay on property if I didn't want to. But why would I not want to have the full vacation experience at one of the most popular vacation spots on the planet, just because it's literally in my own back yard? However, as a local, I know when the parks are going to be busy and I stay away during those times. No one who has a choice of when to go would choose to go when it's peak season. I would guess that if you took a poll in July and you took a poll in January, you would find a higher percentage of locals in January. The only time I can see where locals may be a problem is during Food and Wine weekends at Epcot. I could see where a partial blackout for resident tickets on the weekends for the festival could be appropriate.

If you travel much around the country, you will find that most tourist areas offer discounts to the locals. As another poster mentioned, these places can't afford to alienate the locals because when things turn ugly (from the economy to war, whatever it might be) those locals will mean the difference between staying in business and closing the doors.

Busch gardens in Virginia does the same thing. We get "resident discounts" on single or multiday passes. ( not on annual passes) Just a perk. I'm not sure why it bothers anyone.

True but a lack of free parking does not mean that Floridians stop buying the other passes. I purchased a seasonal without parking due to the fact that I at the time stayed on Disney property anyway and it was a moot point.
I still think that losing the monthly payment plan would be the kicker. Having to pay that amount up front would most likely make more AP holders in Florida reconsider.

When I started staying elsewhere the lack of free parking became more of an issue. I stated on a Disney survey that I wished there was a discount on parking fees for seasonal and other passes that did not receive the free parking benefit. The lack of the free parking would get some Floridians.
They didn't always have the payment plan. In fact, it really isn't that old.

Been to disney a million times and only stayed onsite twice I never felt like disney did not want my money.

Disney offers discount to Fl residents because that way they get more Fl residents money. If FL residents tickets were full cost It would be less money for disney not more. And disney like other companies like more money no less.

Sea world this year offered a free pre school card for kids under 5 so I added aquatica and bought an AP for myself which means more money seaworld as I wasn't planning on getting passes for seaworld this year.

Companies don't offer discounts out of the goodness of their hearts they do it because they think it will generate extra profit.

Amen!! You took the words out of my mouth! Living here in Lee County and having to drive through there to visit my sister in Flagler County, sometimes I feel as if I am in a parking lot on I4...traffic is so bad by the parks thst it doesn't move.
I am aware of that... what about all that property that surround, leads too or otherwise exists to get people to WDW, all those highways, all those water systems, sewer systems, street lights, street signs, fire, ambulance and governmental offices. The salaries of the police, fire departments and all the other non-Disney employees that it takes to keep that whole area outside of the Disney property line, safe and updated constantly. Heck, the intersection of I-4 and Rte. 192 has been under construction constantly for the past 30+ years. What money for those things that don't come from the residents of the immediate area come from Florida State Government that also uses tax money to keep it all going. I'm not saying that there isn't a return for the money spent. Of course there is, but, it wouldn't be wise to upset the voting public in Florida who may have a say in where that money goes. Someone in Naples gets very little benefit from money spent to keep WDW accessible.

I personally don't agree with the mentality of a business owes someone else something but I'm not saying the people who have that stance are wrong as we all have our own thoughts. I understand the ecological impacts of such a place of WDW but frankly you'd be hard pressed to find where growth in terms of new buildings and infrustructure doesn't impact the existing area. Heck in my college town a road that was being moved X feet one direction created a huge outcry because the road was in the wetlands area of the town which def.disrupted the local habitat (though they really were careful to mitigate the disruption).

Also yes construction is disliked by all but that constant construction near WDW isn't just isolated to WDW it's all over. Our local highways of I-35, I-435, US-69 and K-10 all have been under near constant construction for the last 10 or more years in one way or another. Once they finish with one project it's time to start a new one on the same highway.

Sure FL residents def. help the parks out in terms of money and time spent there but as others have pointed out being close to Orlando or in FL does not mean you visit WDW whenever you like. I live on the KS side of the KC metro. approximately 40 minutes (dependant on traffic which can potentially raise that time drastically) from Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun and I rarely make it out there..they are good enough parks though.

As far as I remember they haven't offered locals a discount..but they have had pop cans that have coupons on them (not a big discount though) so I suppose that is partially local as you would have to buy them in this area in order for the pop can to have the discount code. Also I remember in the past you could take canned goods to the park and get a discount...I think unless I'm thinking of another venue which is entirely possible. I can't remember if they have coupons in newspapers or not but if that was the case it just meant you had to buy the newspaper not live in the area to get the discount. If you buy online you save $17 off of 1-day ticket but that's not a locals discount.

I really don't have a problem with Disney offering FL residents a discount. It's a business strategy. Also the statement early on this thread regarding after 9/11 FL locals in essence SAVED WDW is very entitled statement IMO. Tourism everywhere suffered greatly after 9/11 and was slowly rising again before the recession hit then you had astronomical gas prices where people couldn't travel because it cost too much to drive and airlines were charging a lot because the fuel costs were high. However, it's not as if WDW would have just ceased to exist during these times (IMO)..did they have problems yes, did they help alleviate those problems by having FL resident discounts yes but they also alleviated that by having discounts for % off room only reservations, package discounts with free night promotions or buy X ticket get X free, free dining and more which were not necessarily dependent on being a FL resident. But also locals anywhere certaintly help out in means of any tourism and not just by going to a place but also by word of mouth recommendations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter