Why did you sell?

I don't believe the OP needs to tell anyone what specific business practice or agenda he does not agree with. I think he is clear that he doesn't agree with something and he is choosing not to do business with them because of it. Have you never disagreed with a businesses decision to promote a policy or agenda and chose to boycott them over it? Everyone else does.

Except when I boycott someone I am more than happy to discuss the reasons. Example I boycotted Pizza Hut for 3 years because they delivered a Pizza to the wrong address and still would not reverse the charge on my credit card. Only decided to stop because I had moved to a completely different state where Pizza Hut was owned by another franchisee.

What I find strange is talking in complete code. If you have an issue it shouldn't be too hard to put it out there as to why. Sorry can't say I have ever done a secret boycott of something.

Also like I said
People can choose to stop doing business with whoever they want. If someone wants to post about it then I will ask a question as to why and for examples.

Except when I boycott someone I am more than happy to discuss the reasons. Example I boycotted Pizza Hut for 3 years because they delivered a Pizza to the wrong address and still would not reverse the charge on my credit card. Only decided to stop because I had moved to a completely different state where Pizza Hut was owned by another franchisee.

What I find strange is talking in complete code. If you have an issue it shouldn't be too hard to put it out there as to why. Sorry can't say I have ever done a secret boycott of something.

Also like I said

There was no one speaking in code or keeping secrets it was very clearly written the OP doesnt agree with a Disney Policy and he has decided not to business with them. He chose to keep the details private which is his right and mostly because he didn't want a pile on.
His response was good enough for me I don't need all the sordid details to understand the why.

I have sold contracts so I could buy others at different resorts!
We too sold 2 smaller contracts SSR and OKW to buy a 150 point BWV so our grand daughter can roam the boardwalk and walk to Epcot and HS. Don't worry we still have our original OKW contract because after all these years we still love the place.

Last edited:
There was no one speaking in code or keeping secrets it was very clearly written the OP doesnt agree with a Disney Policy and he has decided not to business with them. He chose to keep the details private which is his right and mostly because he didn't want a pile on.
His response was good enough for me I don't need all the sordid details to understand the why.

Disney is pushing agendas, how Disney might fold in the coming years (which is extremely doubtful and unlikely), how they miss pre-2020 parks. All of this is very subtle and doesn't point to anything specific.

Lothlórien did a great job explaining their reasoning and the stupidity that is occuring in various areas of Disney. Also not exactly the same but reminds me of the story from DisUnplugged regarding security at Hoop De Doo and some of the ineptness that occurred there.

This whole thread is getting so odd because of all these straw man arguments. I think there is no dispute that (1) everyone has the right to not do business with Disney (2) everyone has the right to privacy. But this entire thread (on a public Disney forum!) is about the why... And you clearly seem to agree with OP’s perception but neither of you mentions what policy, group, or behavior on Disney’s part is at issue. No pile on intended but it is hard to decipher what I guess is obvious to some but not to others. Seems big enough, though, to break up with Disney and painful enough to even cry about it. So that’s why I’m still curious, but I don’t blame anyone for not disclosing it.

I might just focus on the ROFR thread because I don’t want to push anyone’s buttons. I’m new to DVC and not planning on selling anytime soon - I still gotta take my first DVC trip :)

We are in the process of selling 90 points. My husband wants to retire in a few years and we wanted to reduce our maintenance fees. Plus, I want to use the money from the sale to pay off a home equity line of credit that was used to put new Hardie cement siding on our house.

We are keeping 185 DVC points. We also own resale Wyndham points and another deeded timeshare week for beach, mountains, and non Disney Orlando trips.

This whole thread is getting so odd because of all these straw man arguments. I think there is no dispute that (1) everyone has the right to not do business with Disney (2) everyone has the right to privacy. But this entire thread (on a public Disney forum!) is about the why... And you clearly seem to agree with OP’s perception but neither of you mentions what policy, group, or behavior on Disney’s part is at issue. No pile on intended but it is hard to decipher what I guess is obvious to some but not to others. Seems big enough, though, to break up with Disney and painful enough to even cry about it. So that’s why I’m still curious, but I don’t blame anyone for not disclosing it.

I might just focus on the ROFR thread because I don’t want to push anyone’s buttons. I’m new to DVC and not planning on selling anytime soon - I still gotta take my first DVC trip :)

I agree that the OP has every right to show a strong conviction for his beliefs he doesn't have to justify them to me or anyone else including you. I would stand behind you for the same reason that doesn't mean I agree with the why just that I believe you have a right to have an opinion. Also, why would I mention which disney policy, group or behavior is at issue I have no idea.

Sorry technical difficulties, I meant this to be a reply to @MICKIMINI

1. Love your retirement idea
2. I have been watching the market for about a year now and hoping to get my first contract at a good time. Do you suspect the prices will drop soon with the pandemic continuing?

Sorry technical difficulties, I meant this to be a reply to @MICKIMINI

1. Love your retirement idea
2. I have been watching the market for about a year now and hoping to get my first contract at a good time. Do you suspect the prices will drop soon with the pandemic continuing?

Thank you! Rather than buy a condo in FL it is a better financial decision IMO to own multiple DVC's which we can use, rent, flip, buy more - until we either sell for financial reasons in old age or gift to our son and DIL. The flexibility is priceless and I don't have to clean and DH doesn't have to mow the lawn!

I am surprised prices didn't drop further this spring and grabbed two contracts at the tail end of the short "downturn". I don't plan to flip until after the "hard refurb" when I'm guessing there may be a spike in BRV prices in 2-3 years. We'll enjoy until then and I'll likely have a few more contracts in the flipping pipeline by then.
Typically, prices seem to decline closer to the end of the year when MF's are due. The weirdness this year makes prices unpredictable IMO. I always suggest educating yourself about DVC which means lots of reading on disboards and learning price trends and demand and knowing what you want. There are always deals to be had. Once you understand the market you can spot a deal pretty quickly. I'm watching closely to see what this fall will bring too! Good luck!

Thank you! Rather than buy a condo in FL it is a better financial decision IMO to own multiple DVC's which we can use, rent, flip, buy more - until we either sell for financial reasons in old age or gift to our son and DIL. The flexibility is priceless and I don't have to clean and DH doesn't have to mow the lawn!

I am surprised prices didn't drop further this spring and grabbed two contracts at the tail end of the short "downturn". I don't plan to flip until after the "hard refurb" when I'm guessing there may be a spike in BRV prices in 2-3 years. We'll enjoy until then and I'll likely have a few more contracts in the flipping pipeline by then.
Typically, prices seem to decline closer to the end of the year when MF's are due. The weirdness this year makes prices unpredictable IMO. I always suggest educating yourself about DVC which means lots of reading on disboards and learning price trends and demand and knowing what you want. There are always deals to be had. Once you understand the market you can spot a deal pretty quickly. I'm watching closely to see what this fall will bring too! Good luck!
Micki I just retired and my wife will be 6/21. Our plan is probably something like yours where we'll have about 350 points and 2 contracts to spend part of winter at WDW without any outlay of funds except our MF's. See you in retirement.

Micki I just retired and my wife will be 6/21. Our plan is probably something like yours where we'll have about 350 points and 2 contracts to spend part of winter at WDW without any outlay of funds except our MF's. See you in retirement.
Yes, same here! Love your thinking!
Admittedly, I'm probably 20+ years from being able to retire, and that assumes so much about our economic climate between now and then. But certainly our goal is to be able to enjoy Disney in larger accommodations with family and friends until then, and once we retire, be able to spend 4-6 weeks in winter snowbirding at Disney World in Studios (much as I love the idea of 1BRs, I suspect when I retire I won't be able to afford to do that). My thinking is that if resale is still holding well, we might sell a few contracts going into retirement and bank that money to pay MFs on the points we retain. It's a plan at least.

Yes, same here! Love your thinking!
Admittedly, I'm probably 20+ years from being able to retire, and that assumes so much about our economic climate between now and then. But certainly our goal is to be able to enjoy Disney in larger accommodations with family and friends until then, and once we retire, be able to spend 4-6 weeks in winter snowbirding at Disney World in Studios (much as I love the idea of 1BRs, I suspect when I retire I won't be able to afford to do that). My thinking is that if resale is still holding well, we might sell a few contracts going into retirement and bank that money to pay MFs on the points we retain. It's a plan at least.
About 10 years ago we met a couple on the boat from MK to The Fort. We stayed in a cabin that year. While chatting we asked where they lived and they said Disney! They had been at The Fort for many months and were loving every minute of it. That pretty much did it for us! Goal set - live at WDW!

I obsess over finances and not having debt. Weird but good obsession. The smartest thing we did was downsize 5 years ago. It took me years to get DH to move from our dream house, but now he admits it was a great decision. We don't miss it a bit and actually love our smaller home and save a small fortune in taxes and utilities.

I go over our budget just about every day...mostly as I swim for an hour daily LOL! Over the years, I've come up with many strategies and course corrections to reach our goal - and we are still about 3 1/2 years out and it is save, save, save. I believe everyone has the capacity to turn a dream into a reality. With 20 years to go, focus like a laser and you CAN do it!

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

About 10 years ago we met a couple on the boat from MK to The Fort. We stayed in a cabin that year. While chatting we asked where they lived and they said Disney! They had been at The Fort for many months and were loving every minute of it. That pretty much did it for us! Goal set - live at WDW!

I obsess over finances and not having debt. Weird but good obsession. The smartest thing we did was downsize 5 years ago. It took me years to get DH to move from our dream house, but now he admits it was a great decision. We don't miss it a bit and actually love our smaller home and save a small fortune in taxes and utilities.

I go over our budget just about every day...mostly as I swim for an hour daily LOL! Over the years, I've come up with many strategies and course corrections to reach our goal - and we are still about 3 1/2 years out and it is save, save, save. I believe everyone has the capacity to turn a dream into a reality. With 20 years to go, focus like a laser and you CAN do it!

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:
Oh, we are so much alike! I laser focus on our budget as well, and also daily look over my spreadsheets and budgets. While I haven't convinced DH to downsize yet, I did convince him to invest in things like Solar, re-insulating the house, and things that will drive down our utility expenses. I have two kids I need to get through college first, but then the plan is to get us to the point of retirement. (I paid for most of my own college education and the constraint paying back student loans put on my early life post-college has made me determined to pay for my kids undergraduate college education so that they were not starting their lives tied to so much debt). The ONLY thing I said I will not skimp out of our budget is travel. I love to travel and see the world, but I've agreed that - our Disney trips aside as that's why we have DVC! - I'll settle for one international trip every other year and one domestic (most likely National Parks) trip on the opposite every other year. This allows me to get my travel "fix" in, but reigns in the budget a little bit -- which I partly need to do because until this year, my main job for the past 5 or so years had a LOT of travel, and so I racked up tons of miles, hotel points, and Chase UR points, so a lot of our trips were "free" or close to free. Now that I have a job that doesn't have a huge travel component to it, I need to budget more for our vacations.

I am pretty confident I can make our retirement plans work, so long as the economy doesn't completely bottom out on us. My dad retired in 2006, so in many ways I feel all too much what a tanking economy can do to one's retirement plans - not to mention that my DH and I both lost our jobs that year - and admit that I partly obsess over budget precisely to avoid ever being in that kind of desperate financial situation again.

I don't believe the OP needs to tell anyone what specific business practice or agenda he does not agree with. I think he is clear that he doesn't agree with something and he is choosing not to do business with them because of it. Have you never disagreed with a businesses decision to promote a policy or agenda and chose to boycott them over it? Everyone else does.

yep and i am not going to. i appreciate the disboards and would like to stick around. they only allow some viewpoints and so i know when to keep my mouth closed. it is better to follow the rules and not make waves, even when you know you are standing on solid ground.

i am not speaking in code. i gave my reason without giving detail. sorry, but i dont owe that to inquiring minds. it is not a secret boycott. i chose to sell for multiple reasons. partially, because i sold it for what i paid for it. i didn't owe anything on the contract, so it was total win for me. secondly, look at the decisions and stances Disney has pushed in the last 8 years or so and ask yourself who would be on board with that and who wouldn't. no secrets. i am just being respectful to the rules of this board. i dont like everything my job asks of me either, but if i want to stay on with the force, i have to do as they ask.

We are in the process of selling 90 points. My husband wants to retire in a few years and we wanted to reduce our maintenance fees. Plus, I want to use the money from the sale to pay off a home equity line of credit that was used to put new Hardie cement siding on our house.

We are keeping 185 DVC points. We also own resale Wyndham points and another deeded timeshare week for beach, mountains, and non Disney Orlando trips.

that is a great reason and makes sense. my good friend has 11 contracts. well, had. she sold all but 4 of them. she is moving from the mid west to florida in december so she will be by disney all of the time. she said all those dues are too much when you are retired.

We too sold 2 smaller contracts SSR and OKW to buy a 150 point BWV so our grand daughter can roam the boardwalk and walk to Epcot and HS. Don't worry we still have our original OKW contract because after all these years we still love the place.

that sounds like my friend i mentioned above. they still have their okw contract. she said they paid something like $34 a point and so they paid cash for a 200 point contract. that is crazy! boardwalk is their 2nd favorite and that is where they have 2 of their contracts and the 4th at ssr, which they always seem to rent out to family. sounds like they and you prefer to be close to downtown disney.

We just bought VGF and then sold our BLT Contract The other day. We looove VGF so much :-)

i wanted to stay at the gf before we sold but could never get in. i have to admit that was also part of the driving factor to sell. the times of year we like to go made it impossible to get a room anywhere other than our home resort. we really like akv but wanted to try something new without a new contract and it was not possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter