Why did you sell?

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
For those who have sold their DVC contracts, I am asking out of curiosity, why you sold. I know why we did, which many wont like, so I will reserve my comments on that (for now), but I am curious to know what drives people to sell.

Please know I am not asking for anything personal. I dont want to dive that deep or open any wounds. For any who had a loss of child, loss of spouse, loss of income or anything else that flipped your life upside down....I am truly sorry you went through or are going through that. I hope and pray you heal and are able to enjoy trips in the future.

My curiosity is piqued because of my personal thoughts. We love Disney parks. It is truly such a fun and happy place. Especially at Christmas. We are about 3 weeks from finalization on the contract and although I do not regret selling, I do miss the parks (pre-2020) already. ROFR took 32 days and everything is moving right along. My wife said she may cry when we sign the final documents, but she is not regretting it either.

I sold my contracts because the kids have moved out and me and the wife don't feel the need to go all the time anymore. It was nice to be able to sell for more than we paid for it as we had so many people tell us timeshares are worthless to sell. Just one more contract to go.

Last edited:
We sold our VCG as we are close to empty nesters now so use 1 bedrooms instead of 2 bedrooms so I could see us struggle going forward to use all points. And we like VGC but didn't love it as much as our other homes so are not convinced we would go back.

We haven’t sold, but I’m aware of why the sellers sold for some of our resale contracts. Two were divorcing couples and those took a while for them to sign and return since everything had to go through their lawyers. One was because they moved near WDW (I’m assuming retirement since they were longtime owners) and didn’t need to stay on property anymore.

We are using more points than ever and plan to spend a month at WDW in retirement. I know the market, watch it intently and buy when I find a loaded contract we can rent, use and eventually flip when the market is right, rinse and repeat. Having a number of contracts gives me the flexibility to do this and not mess up our vacations. We just passed ROFR on #10 yesterday.

Sold to get a use year that fits jus better. That's the nice thing about buying resale, if you don't like your UY sell and buy another.

This was a few years ago, but I sold my VGC contract at that time to build up a down payment for a cabin in northern WI. I certainly did not want to sell, but the cabin was much more important to me.

Plus, I knew I could always buy another contract once I had saved up (which is exactly what I did this spring! :). )

For those who have sold their DVC contracts, I am asking out of curiosity, why you sold. I know why we did, which many wont like, so I will reserve my comments on that (for now), but I am curious to know what drives people to sell.

Please know I am not asking for anything personal. I dont want to dive that deep or open any wounds. For any who had a loss of child, loss of spouse, loss of income or anything else that flipped your life upside down....I am truly sorry you went through or are going through that. I hope and pray you heal and are able to enjoy trips in the future.

My curiosity is piqued because of my personal thoughts. We love Disney parks. It is truly such a fun and happy place. Especially at Christmas. We are about 3 weeks from finalization on the contract and although I do not regret selling, I do miss the parks (pre-2020) already. ROFR took 32 days and everything is moving right along. My wife said she may cry when we sign the final documents, but she is not regretting it either.
Just my opinion, but I sold when Corona first hit fearing lower prices.. Afterwards, I decided that I felt it was a mistake. I feel that we have passed through the worst of the virus already, there are vaccinnes on the way, and there will be a future. WDW is still the best place for a fmily vacation IMO and WDW will still be there as people have begun to go back to parks and resorts so I am in the process of buying back in.

I am creepy and Googled the owner whose estate I was buying one of my contracts from. He was a Disney fanboy wearing Mickey ears in his obituary. I sent his widow a card with a nice note and a photo of my family all Disney-ed out, so they would know that his love for Disney would live on. I hope they thought that was nice and not too creepy.

Back in 2006, we had 500 points at three resorts in five contracts. We sold two of them for more than we paid. We were tired of paying Disney so much each month in annual fees and paying private school tuition as well. We tried to sell our 50 point contract, had two offers and both buyers backed out after ROFR. We got half of each deposit they made. We still have that contract, plus the other two (two resorts 325 points total).

I sold my whopper of a contract, 40 points to get weight loss surgery in Mexico. Paid 97 a point, sold nine months late at 115 a point. Great short term investment.

I also unintentionally flipped mine when we decided we'd prefer Boardwalk. We bought our 100pt Beach Club contract at $110 and sold it 5 months later for $145. Although I don't think we really made that much money after broker fees, taxes, etc. But we were happy to break even so we could get a different contract!

I've sold one contract to adjust to changing travel patterns. Then later bought even more when travel conditions changed yet again.

We sold BWV and SSR because it's harder and harder to get to WDW now that my kids are grown (it's hard to get all of them to have 10 days or so at the same time for a big family vacaiton).

I'm considering selling my small VGC contract because I'm sort of Disneyed out. We need a new deck, I want to build a catio attached to it, and the money could be used towards those and enjoyed every day instead of for a few days a year. My kids are grown and no grand kids on the horizon. But even if we did have grand children, renting points or taking them to WDW and staying at Bonnet Creek would be so much cheaper than maintaining a VGC membership year after year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter