• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who's going to need a stiff drink ( or 8) to get thru the holiday and why?

Where do I begin? My divorce is final the day after Christmas. My soon-to-be-ex decided to tell my eleven year old daughter that she is the reason he doesn’t want to see her for Christmas. Way to go dad! the truth is he is just a selfish jerk who hates Christmas and can’t be bothered to put his daughter first.

I’ve been sick since the beginning of October.

My mother thinks my ex walks on water. My brothers like to tell me how to parent, even though neither of them have children.

And I am a church secretary, and Advent through Easter is utter insanity at work.

I don’t think a few stiff drinks would come close to being enough

Where do I begin? My divorce is final the day after Christmas. My soon-to-be-ex decided to tell my eleven year old daughter that she is the reason he doesn’t want to see her for Christmas. Way to go dad! the truth is he is just a selfish jerk who hates Christmas and can’t be bothered to put his daughter first.

I’ve been sick since the beginning of October.

My mother thinks my ex walks on water. My brothers like to tell me how to parent, even though neither of them have children.

And I am a church secretary, and Advent through Easter is utter insanity at work.

I don’t think a few stiff drinks would come close to being enough
This sounds like a sad movie. Here’s to next year being better for you.

Our family Christmas is actually today, here at our house. Everything is ready, and I’m sitting here in the quiet of the early morning sipping my first cup of coffee and gazing at the beautiful tree all decorated and lighted across the room from me. In a few hours everyone will be here and we will enjoy food, gifts and togetherness. No family drama and for that I am so thankful. But it’s the first Christmas since my Mom passed away, so it’s a bit rough this year. DD is bringing spiked egg nog, so I may enjoy a cup or two of that. And probably a nice glass of wine this evening after everyone has gone home.

No family drama.....just my kids and grandkids live around us, and we see them all the time anyway.
Just tired from doing baking (which I love) and decorating (much scaled down this year due to the grandkids) and then thinking about getting all the decorations down and to storage as fast as possible (getting close to a DLR trip)

We are driving from Wisconsin to N. H. On Tuesday. My dh wants to push the first day 10 hours. My limit is 8 hours in a truck. Plus we have the dog and he will need to be let out and walked a few times. So his 10 hours will turn into 12, since he booked a dog friendly hotel. I have a feeling we are going to get the dog/cat room that is going to smell like the kennel room. So how many drinks can I have to ignore the smell.

Our family Christmas is actually today, here at our house. Everything is ready, and I’m sitting here in the quiet of the early morning sipping my first cup of coffee and gazing at the beautiful tree all decorated and lighted across the room from me. In a few hours everyone will be here and we will enjoy food, gifts and togetherness. No family drama and for that I am so thankful. But it’s the first Christmas since my Mom passed away, so it’s a bit rough this year. DD is bringing spiked egg nog, so I may enjoy a cup or two of that. And probably a nice glass of wine this evening after everyone has gone home.
Always tough and I think an absence is often felt even more profoundly in close, happy families. Merry Christmas. :flower3:
I work at the Target service desk...
{{shudder}} :thanks:

:drinking1I'll need them but won't have them because I'm spending Christmas with my alcoholic DSis and BIL; somebody has to stay in control of their faculties. And I'll be the only one because their behaviour has burnt so many bridges, including with their own children. :sad2: I can't stand to see them be totally alone but it won't be pleasant. And I'm on my own because I don't have the heart to inflict it on my DH or DS. Wish me luck! :santa:

Last edited:
OhMari NH is so beautiful This time of year, I am jealous!!

This will be our first Christmas without my grandmother, she just passed in October. Some drama with my aunt came about over the course of caring for my grandmother and now there is an estrangement which bothers me a little but nothing to drink over.

Don't need a drink to get through, just enjoy a nice glass of wine by the tree

We are driving from Wisconsin to N. H. On Tuesday. My dh wants to push the first day 10 hours. My limit is 8 hours in a truck. Plus we have the dog and he will need to be let out and walked a few times. So his 10 hours will turn into 12, since he booked a dog friendly hotel. I have a feeling we are going to get the dog/cat room that is going to smell like the kennel room. So how many drinks can I have to ignore the smell.
we stay at La Quintas when traveling with our dog. Seems like everyone staying there has a pet. But I’ve never had a smelly room. And I am pretty sensitive to pet smells even though I have a dog. So I hope you don’t get a smelly room.

I work at the Target service desk...

Oh dear, you deserve all the drinks!!!! When I was in college I was hired at a brand new Target during the build out, and we officially opened Nov 1. They put me on Guest Services for the entire Nov-Feb time frame and it was enlightening. Thankfully, I learned very quickly and was good at my job, but oh boy those were very intense times. I had to return a couple things to Target yesterday and I made sure to be super nice and thankful, and had my receipt and items all ready to go. Recently my Target has required GS to handle all of the locked items as well, so now, not only do they have to deal with all the returns and ship to store orders, but also all the people just trying to buy razor blades, I cannot imagine.

pixiedust::flower3:

I prefer to wait for your update tonight on how your DIL liked your gift(s) for the new baby! :laughing: Sorry - couldn't resist!

Balancing multiple families at this time of year is always challenging, especially when one or the other decides they should be most important and freaks out when that's not the case. :S Sometimes all you can do is smile, nod, and reach for the biggest bottle you can find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter