Who is trying the Owners Locker? Why or Why Not?

I am also a beta test member. I "usually" go to Orlando once a year and it is a solo trip. But I am always dragging my stuff to UPS for shipping there and back so I don't have too much luggage to lug around. When I think of the UPS costs plus the gas there and back plus the cost of shipping back I am easily up to $50. If I choose not to ship back, I usually dump the stuff and that is a waste of money, too. Once I tried out OL, it was like a bit of heaven! What a relief to leave my stuff there and to know I can get it back on my next trip. This year is a busy Orlando one, we will be there in August, January, April and again in August. I will be so happy to leave my ponchos, neck coolers, insulated water bottles with holders, etc. I am even going to pick up a twin air mattress in Orlando and pack that in my box! I love that I can have my hand soap that I like, my shampoo and conditioner and anything else that my heart desires. You wouldn't believe how much stuff can fit in the locker!

Best of all is the personal service! I am only staying onsite in January - the other times are at townhomes and Brian already assured me that it is no problem.

I honestly think $99 per year for one visit is worth the convenience and comfort of having all your stuff with you.

Having scribing to Owner's Locker really intrigues me and I think it could be really worthwhile.
However for us, I don't think we go to WDW enough. We are at most a every year family but most likely every other year. We have started to go to VB in alternate years. Now if you delivered to VB! ;)

Another thought and question John, what is your delivery area? and would you ever consider a pick-up/drop off store front near MCO in the future? (for us VB lovers!)

I posted eariler in this thread that while the service is a truly wonderful idea, the price seems a bit high to me. However, after reading these posts, I am really beginning to rethink it! Add to the fact that we just returned from BWV and even though all the clothes have been unpacked...I still have that bag of "STUFF" sitting on the floor. This is the bag with all of the odds and ends in it...the same stuff that would go into our OL if we were to use the service...a charger for all of the rechargeable batteries we use, ponchose, the special "clicky" sharpie markers for character autographs...just tons of miscellaneous stuff that is a pain to unpack.

Hmmmm....more to think about. Keep the comments coming so I can make a decision! :rotfl: It looks like I will be taking a solo trip in July (on business), so that may be the perfect time to set it up.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the Vero Beach question---you are not alone!!

Right now, we deliver to about 200 hotel/resorts in the attractions area in Orlando. Members whose trip to Vero is sandwiched between stays in Orlando are fine.

We are working on a solution for people who come through Orlando on their way to and/or from Vero and either need to pick up or drop off their Locker at someplace other than a resort. We are trying to find a place at the airport that can operate as a pick up/ drop off location and we're also investigating a storefront near Celebration. As with most things lin life, it ain't cheap. Rather than a dedicated Owner's Locker spot, which would be REALLY expensive to set up, we're looking at working with an existing location, on at least a temporary basis, to see how it works. There would have a slight surcharge to cover what we would have to pay these folks, but we'll try to get this in place as quickly as possible to try it out and go from there.

We'll solve this one, Lisa, one way or another. We're determined to do everything we can to make your vacation as convenient as possible.

Thanks for asking,

John

I am also a beta tester. I am a single femaile. I love to travel carryon, but generally had to leave some of my stuff that I would like to have (like Crocs). I plan to continue to pay when my trial is up.

I left the "Disney" only stuff there. Crocs, Disney tote bag for use at the pool, extra corkscrew etc. (I don't have my list in front of me right now)

I was concerned with the price, but as long as Disney give us free transport then I will continue. I can make do with the food at Disney (or use a grocery service for a longer trip) and save the entire rental car cost. There is no way I can get a weekend rental car for the delivery fee.

I posted eariler in this thread that while the service is a truly wonderful idea, the price seems a bit high to me. However, after reading these posts, I am really beginning to rethink it! Add to the fact that we just returned from BWV and even though all the clothes have been unpacked...I still have that bag of "STUFF" sitting on the floor. This is the bag with all of the odds and ends in it...the same stuff that would go into our OL if we were to use the service...a charger for all of the rechargeable batteries we use, ponchose, the special "clicky" sharpie markers for character autographs...just tons of miscellaneous stuff that is a pain to unpack.

Hmmmm....more to think about. Keep the comments coming so I can make a decision! :rotfl: It looks like I will be taking a solo trip in July (on business), so that may be the perfect time to set it up.

Yes, it would be the perfect time! ;) That bag is the very reason I decided to sign up. I HATED unpacking it, it was depressing, and there wasn't anywhere good to store the stuff. Then, DDs would decide they wanted their 'ears' in their rooms, then lose them and it was a frantic search before the trip. This last time, my 11yo left her pin lanyard in the car. Now, the lanyards, the ponchos, the ears, the water filter we only use at WDW, full size bottles of OUR shampoo and lotions, our soaps, etc, all there and waiting for the next time. And...it's not stored in some remote corner of my house in a box taking up my real estate! I also really like USING the Locker as extra storage in our unit. At one point, it was where we tossed our shoes (there were 4 girls...we had SHOES.) I can't tell you what a relief it is to know that all of our things are there, ready for us whenever we are without that last minute trying to find them, then taking up space in a suitcase. I'll never have to buy another poncho in WDW. :lmao:

FWIW, I just got a quote on shipping from home to Orlando. A box the size of the Owners Locker with only 14 pounds of stuff in it would cost $11.80 ground each way. Add to that the cost of my gasoline at each end of the trip. It would be more if we didn't get it shipped 4 days ahead - at 3 days it almost doubled. Add more money if the weight was higher - and it isn't hard to get the weight up when you start tossing in everyone's favorite bottles of toiletries. Price looks good to me.

FWIW, I just got a quote on shipping from home to Orlando. A box the size of the Owners Locker with only 14 pounds of stuff in it would cost $11.80 ground each way. Add to that the cost of my gasoline at each end of the trip. It would be more if we didn't get it shipped 4 days ahead - at 3 days it almost doubled. Add more money if the weight was higher - and it isn't hard to get the weight up when you start tossing in everyone's favorite bottles of toiletries. Price looks good to me.

(and your stuff doesn't get banged up and your toiletries leak all over the ziploc bags you put them in to protect the rest of your things) My last box was VERY beat up. :guilty:

I also remembered that this last trip was the first one where I flew and didn't have to buy an extra suitcase! Some of that had to do with bringing things I left in the Locker freed up return space, but some of it was also several of the souvenirs DDs bought, we left for the next trip.

and remember the hassle of shipping... as I type, I am looking at two large DHL boxes. It took me two days to track down boxes. Now I am on a hunt for packing tape. I printed up labels earlier today, and scheduled a pick up online. And took a long walk to find pouches for the documentation.

It is difficult enough to find shipping items when I am working (and travelling) - I can't imagine giving up vacation time to do all of that.

Mikesmom, thanks for the post about the UPS shipping. That reminded me that my owners locker weighed over 50 pounds!:scared1: I had to weigh my bags before flying and I was amazed! My hi thread count sheets weighed over 8lbs by themselves. And I only use Fedex, too many damaged items with UPS and they are a bear to deal with claims. If you subtract the cost of all that from the OL, the savings is pretty small.

I filled my locker in March on a girls trip, and it was nice to have the locker, because I didnt have my DH/Baggage Handler there with me:love:

I love having all my "stuff" on vacation. That is the one time I truly have time to really enjoy all of it. We slow down and take it all in and its nice no matter what size unit we have to feel at home.

3 DisneyKids, I sooo agree with you about the bag of stuff! Mine never got unpacked and there really is no place to put it where you dont end up forgetting half of it next trip. Dh didnt think we needed it either, but as I piled up more and more stuff that we take back and forth for the last time, he was convinced! We will use it for the first time as a family next month.

My favorite vacation is to park the van and leave it and never leave Disney property til its time to go home.

John I do have some suggestions if interested. I'd love a locker with wheels, like a cooler (even detachable for storage) and what about partnering with area shipping stores as drop off/pick up locations? I know USAA allows us to make deposits to our accounts at any UPS store affiliate.

I love the service and I think you will do very well.:thumbsup2

We just filled our locker on our last trip (May 3 thru 9th) Locker was waiting for us and was picked up promptly upon departure (Got Email from Owners Locker) We had shipped the stuff ahead of time to the resort, so we know how much this saved us in luggage. For 2 adults and 3 kids we only had 3 suitcases, all thanks to OwnersLocker. We highly recommend them.

BEWARE!!!

Use of Owner's Locker may lead to extremely serious DVC conditions such as add-on-itis, more vacations, and lots of fun! The only known cure for these conditions include - buying more points for more vacations, more DVC trips and constant frowning at work.:rotfl2:

I'm speaking only from my own experience reading this thread, of course! The temptation is sooo great! Hmmm - maybe I can get a job as a professional vacationer.:rotfl:

It sounds like a super service, especially snce you are supposed to be on VACATION - not making more work for yourself. It sounds to me like it will help take away the "I need a vacation from my vacation" feeling I tend to get once I am home and am faced with all the unpacking - UGH!

:) We love OL. We made a trip in January without our children. Before we left home we went through the children's toys and weeded out some things that they no longer need at home. They now have a new home in our locker! We drive and our van still gets packed to the gills. I tend to overpack. I have some of our favorite toiletries in the locker. I think I will bring a Bath and Body wallflower as well. We are looking forward to using it again! Our trip is in less than 20 days. :cool1: Thank you again for this wonderful service!

Btw, those of you that store laundry detergent inside the locker.........what do you store it inside??? Do you store dish detergent as well?

Goofydad's wife

Btw, those of you that store laundry detergent inside the locker.........what do you store it inside??? Do you store dish detergent as well?

Goofydad's wife

I normally use a liquid Tide bottle from the travel section at Target. I like it for handwashing items in the sink too.

If I don't have any on hand, I put powder detergent into a ziplock type bag.

And I try and stock up on laundry tabs when in Germany - while my local German wholesaler does carry Persil tabs, they are priced about twice what they are in Germany.

I plan on packing a full size Gain liquid in there. I always do all our laundry before we leave. Yep, I got the clean clothes on arrival at home sickness. ;)

Bavaria, I do like the Tide travel one's too. :goodvibes

Rozzie, don't forget to pack the DUVET..... mine is apparently going to be waiting for me tomorrow!! :)

I have enjoyed my Owners Locker for 4 trips to WDW. From delivery to pick up all went smooth as silk.

I have met John and I can personally vouch that he is sincere, devoted to his business, open to all suggestions, great listener and a real gentleman. :goodvibes

OL members:

Can someone post what food (non-perishable of course) and drink they have stored and how that went. I hate being wasteful on DVC trips.

To the DISer who posted their list of items earlier...thanks really helped.

Have there been any issues of say storing laundry items and having that smell infiltrate at all?

I'm sure there are ways around that, just curious. Thanks so much,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The Community section of our website includes feedback forums that our Beta Trial members have been using. You can find lots of folks' lists in there.

www.ownerslocker.com

John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter