Who else is leaving a beloved pet behind?

Wow! After many years of being on the DIS, I have never seen or cared about a thread like this.

We just adopted a rescue mini beagle this past July and I don't know what we are going to do when we go on a WDW vacation! We left her for only a few nights at a kennel that was referred to us for Thanksgiving weekend, and it took her several days to come out of a funk. She was shaking as we took her in, and I wanted to take her with us but there was no way she could really have stayed where we were going.

I don't know what we will do. :confused3

Mickeymom,
Start now, looking for a pet-sitter that will come to your home.
The day I brought Denali home, I set up appointments with several in my area. I found one that I really liked; she had a good background in the care of pets; she'd worked in veterinarian's offices since she was 14. She was bonded and insured. And all her family lives in the area, so she doesn't travel at holiday time. I was ready to use her the first time we needed to leave Denali at home, but we ended up having a pipe burst and needed to shut the water off to our home while we were gone. Luckily, I'd just started Denali at the "Doggie Daycare" I mentioned before and they had a nighttime spot for her the weekend we needed to go away. She did so well at "Camp" that I haven't had a need to contact my pet-sitter again. I feel bad about that, but I know Denali has a total blast at Daycare/Camp!
Um, the site I found my pet sitter was http://www.petsit.com/locate/ Maybe this can be a good starting point for you?

We have to leave our babies.
Our cat is fine...my parents have always come and fed her while we go on vacations.
Our puppy dog is another story. We rescued her last February when she was 12 weeks old. In September we went away and left her for the first time. We found a private kennel near our home that had wonderful reviews. They interviewed us and accepted her. she had her own private room (it is just like a hotel) and she is walked and played with every 2 hours from 6am to 10pm...i swear that is better treatment than when we are home ;)
She loved it and got an A+ on her report card while we were gone...so this year we will be bringing to the same place.

I do feel guilty, but then again, I believe she needs a vacation from us and our son as much as we need a vacation! ;)

We don't feel guilty, we just miss our baby it nearly brings us to tears. She's so spoiled by our friends that watch her it's ridiculous. She gets to do so many naught things that she'd get in trouble for from us.

She spends some of the time at our neighbors who have two golden doodles who she hangs out with all the time. Then she also goes by our other friends who happen to have also adopted her brother.

Here's a picture of our baby Charlie (left) and her brother Norman.
IM000859-1.jpg

We have a great pet sitter for my 2 Chinese cresteds but it's still very stressful. My little boy came out of a bad home before us and he has major separation issues and cannot stand strangers. We cannot kennel him and he freaks when the house sitter is in the house. The first time I had the sitter stay here but he would go out the doggie door and stay outside as long as she was in the house (not good for a hairless dog as they have no protection from the weather). So now the sitter just comes in 3 x daily to feed and water and my little guy has to go without his medication during that time too.

I had hoped he would get better after time with us but he's been here 2 years now and still will have nothing to do with anyone other than my husband or myself.

My in-laws take care of our beagle when they can....

When they can't there is a doggie day care by our house that also boards.

Our little girl spends a couple of days a week there anyways while DW and I work to pay for her to play :rotfl2: so she knows all the handlers there and she LOVES it there. :cloud9:

Our son moves in to stay with our two dogs. If he weren't available, then they'd go to their favorite "puppy spa" where they would be royally spoiled! Fortunately, for me, DS is available next week when we leave! The dogs might like the puppy spa, but it's waaaayyyy expensive!

Since we live two hours away from New Orleans (where most of our family is) and we fly out of Armstrong Int't Airport, we bring our two kitty babies to my husband's grandmother's house while we're gone. We did this for our Disney honeymoon and our recent trip to Vegas. She loves cats, but doesn't have any more since her last pet died, so she LOVES having them around! And Callie and Linus love exploring new places, so it doesn't bother them at all and they adjust quickly. I think I definitely miss them more than they miss us! I just worry because Callie is an escape artist, so I worry about her slipping out unnoticed and getting lost. Nothing's ever happened, I'm just a worrywart!!

I have quite a "leaving your babies at home" story from our December trip to WDW. We had two cats in May when we went to Las Vegas. Well, while we were gone one of them ran away from home. I was so devistated. We have great friends who live next door and take care of the cats when we go away, but they could do much about the run away.

We decided to get a new kitten in July because I am home in the month of July from work and could give it love and attention. We adopted Paris (a white short hair with blue eyes) from the local humane society. She is a clumsey cat. She seriously trips jumping out of boxes. I don't think she sees very well.

Anyway, we left Paris and our other cat Tipper in the capable hands of our friends and left for WDW on Thanksgiving. On the next Saturday we got a phone call while we were in Epcot. The neighbors had to take Paris to the emergency animal hospital an hour and a half away from our home. Somehow she broke her leg in a way that she had to have kittie orthopedic surgery. She has a rod in her leg and today is the first day she is able to get out of her cage and walk around the house.

I'm so thankful for having two wonderful friends who took care of baby Paris for us.

That is the only downside of our upcoming trip but my mom will be watching our baby. I do not even worry about her when we she is at my Mom's! Even though my baby has been kenneled most her life (she is a retired racing greyhound), I feel like those days should be over for her. Although www.wagsworthmanor.com looks impressive and it is just an hour away.

Hi there! You are lucky your Mom is nearby, no one is close enough for Jack to stay with on long trips (he also has separation anxiety so he can be a tough guy to get along with sometimes) Wagsworth is amazing, Jack loves it there. He does the group play, they have individual play and a pool too as an add on. You do have to purchase one of the add ons but it's totally worth it. We feel guilty sometimes so we get him the busy bone too, he loved it, they stuff it with all sorts of goodies, something different every day. We actually left our cat there for 9 days when we were in Dallas for a tournament, and amazingly she had a great time, she was happy to be home but the playhouse is amazing for cats too. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions, I love sending Jack there if he has to be away from us...

I can very much relate to this thread! I have a number of furkids so I think of them frequently while I am away. My eldest kitty has some health issues so we board her with the vet, but the pet sitter takes care of the rest of the cats, as well as our other critters.

Grandma watches our dogs. She comes 4 times a day, spends some time with them and even takes naps with them on the couch. Dogs don't really miss us because she spoils them so much. (2 Boston Terriers, 1 Scottish Terrier and 1Pug who has diabetes and needs insulin shots + he is blind. Staying in his own surroundings is a must for him.) Our African Grey probably misses us the most. She can be moody. Kathy

I have two cats. While we are in WDW they get pretty spoiled. My niece stops in every morning, one friend every afternoon and my friend's husband every night. While we were away this past September one of their "sitters" spoiled them with a real salmon dinner. They always end up with tons of new toys too. Seriously when I get home it looks like Petco exploded in my living room. I think the cats are a little disappointed when we get home.

For my trip in August 2007, I had a friend cat-sit for me. He came by every couple of days to feed them and clean the liter box. For my trip this coming August, my parents will be cat-sitting. However, we will be starting the trip off with a 2.5 hour ride to get to my parents house. Not looking forward to that at all since they can not stand the 5 minute drive to the Vet's office. I am getting married on a Friday and heading off to Disney the next day for my honeymoon!!! I can't afford to and would not want to board my two cats in a kennel for 2.5 weeks. Nor do I want some one to be going in and out of my apartment for 2.5 weeks. And thankfully, my parents don't mind cat-sitting. I think it will make them want a cat again but they don't agree.

:cat: :cat:

I started a thread like this over a year ago and I still feel guilty:guilty: about leaving my yorkie terrier. He will definitely be left in good care. My dad will be staying at our apartment so he stays in familiar surroundings. And I know my dad will take great care of my sweet doggy. Who else shares the same sentiments about their pets? What arrangements do you fellow Disers have for your pets when you head off to WDW?

We never had a problem with this up until this past year. We always left Cookie (our bichon) with my dad who took great care of her (he was her second favorite person after my hubby). Then dad passed away in August and I wasn't sure what we were going to do. Oldest son is living at home but he has his own life (school, three jobs, girlfriend, etc.) and doesn't have the patience with the dog that we do or my dad did (she is getting old...she is eleven and losing her eyesight in one eye and starting to lose her hearing). I was very worried about her that having lost "dad" and the two of us leaving her for two weeks how it would affect her. She laid by the back door every night waiting for us to come home. Oldest son did let her sleep with him which helped (as she always sleeps with us). I don't know what we'll do this year because although oldest son will still be living at home, he will be at school more and student teaching so it will be difficult to get to her on "her" schedule.

We will be leaving our three furry children. :sad1: I don't want to think about leaving them...it worries me that they think we don't love them or that we won't be back. I think I will ask my sister if she can stay here while we are gone. It would make me feel sooooo much better!!!

We're pretty lucky. Our Doberman goes to stay with friends who have two German Shepherds. I guess it's a mad-house around there, but our pupster has a great time. When we go to pick her up, she doesn't want to go with us!! :rotfl: She doesn't even miss us.

However, we will be starting the trip off with a 2.5 hour ride to get to my parents house. Not looking forward to that at all since they can not stand the 5 minute drive to the Vet's office. I am getting married on a Friday and heading off to Disney the next day for my honeymoon!!! I can't afford to and would not want to board my two cats in a kennel for 2.5 weeks. Nor do I want some one to be going in and out of my apartment for 2.5 weeks. And thankfully, my parents don't mind cat-sitting. I think it will make them want a cat again but they don't agree.

:cat: :cat:

Our two cats handle the car rides VERY differently! Callie loves curling up in mine or DH's lap during the ride and jumping up to look out of the window when we pass 18-wheelers. Linus cries the ENTIRE way, and I've never let him roam the car for fear he'll flip out. The last time we had to take him in the car, we bought some feline calming spray and sprayed his carrier a couple days before the trip and let him get used to it. He actually went inside the carrier voluntarily (NEVER does that). And then we sprayed the backseat before we left, and he did a LOT better. Only some weak meowing every now and then. If you haven't tried it before, it may make your trip a lot easier! Congrats on the wedding & honeymoon!

My beautiful son, Foo, will be staying with my parents when we go in February. He is wonderful. Never cries, always uses his box. He is the himalayan pictured in my avatar. I will miss him soooo much!

I have an 11yo golden retriever who goes and stays with my best friend - "Aunt Lisa" - and gets very spoiled. I am going to be very worried this year since he is turning 12, and there are little things starting to go - hearing, maybe a little eyesight, and starting to bark a lot more! Also, he doesn't move as easily as he used to. Lisa just got a new job in NYC, so she won't be home as much as she used to be, which also makes me very worried. I just pray he stays in good health at least through the summer, because he REALLY loves to swim.

I have a back up plan though... my mom is not going with us this year, so in a pinch she can come and stay with him at my house. Lots of prayers in the meantime...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter