Who else is leaving a beloved pet behind?

It's hard to leave them, but it's one of the reasons we can't wait to get back home. Plus he always gets some surprises, although he may not like all of them.

floydrp3.jpg

We leave no one behind, ever, we take our doggie with us that is why we got a camper to all be together. pluto:
I pay more for staying at fort wilderness than folks in a value resort, just to take my dog, I had to turn down a 40% savings just for my dog, we have no one we could honestly trust.

When my Mom was alive she watched our Bonnie for us - a poodle/yorkie mix. Drove her crazy the whole time we were gone. After Mom passed - Bonnie started to travel with us. She stayed a couple of years at the AK kennel. We loved going in at midnight to walk her. Now she is almost 18 yo. She doesn't like going in the car much anymore. She is deaf, her eyesite isn't what it was, and last summer she had a couple of seizures. So with that in mind she stayed at a kennel attached to an animal hospital - just in case. A little on the high end - $45/day - but she's a sweetie and the staff took very good care of her.

Janis

This is probably the only drawback to going on a WDW vacation. I HATE leaving my kitties! :sad1: Yeah, I know cats are more independent and seem to do ok when left alone, but it's still hard for me. I worry about them a lot!

First time we went, we only had one cat and pretty much left her to her own devices, having my uncle come and check on her and give her wet food every other day. We were gone for 10 days and when we got back, aside from sleeping in weird places she had never slept before, she was ok.

Second time was particularly difficult, not just because we got a second cat, but because my older cat had been diagnosed with cancer that summer, well after we had already booked the trip. I felt terrible for leaving her at that time in her life, but fortunately my dad stayed with her and made sure her special needs were taken care of. We ended up having to put her to sleep about two weeks after we got home. :sad1:

Third time my dad again stayed with my cat. Everything went ok I guess, but I still felt bad. It makes me feel like maybe the cat thinks I've abandoned him or something. I also don't feel that anyone can take care of him like I can, KWIM? :)

If I didn't live all the way on the other side of the country from FL, I would love to take the trailer and camp at Fort Wilderness. That way I could take Jazz with me and he could still be comfortable in the familiarity of being in the trailer.

We have to leave our two Birman Cats when we go on holiday (see my avatar for their piccie!).

So far, we've only had two big holidays away from them and we put them in a cattery. We visited dozens and got recommendations from past clients so we feel really happy with them being in there.

Once was 3 weeks for our wedding & honeymoon... the last time was 2 weeks for our Disney trip in July.

Hugo and Sassy are house-cats so we'd rather keep them in a cattery where they have company pretty much constantly!

It breaks our hearts leaving them and coming home from a holiday (yes even our Honeymoon and Disney) wasn't as bad as normal because we missed them so much and couldn't wait to see them!

xxx

2823700618_bb0f6b18e3.jpg

That's Flare aka Evil Bot. Note the PassPorter in the background.

3193969828_17b5831031.jpg

Sissy on the left, Mushi on the right. They're sisters.

Everytime we leave, they freak out as do the rest of our kitties (yes, there are more than three). :upsidedow

My poor little yorkie-pom stays with my mother-in-law. Thank-fully we have her because she would never tolerate being kenneled! She's great with her but last year on our 3 week honeymoon I missed her so much that I spoke to her over the speakerphone almost everyday. The best part of coming home was having her meet me at the airport!!

Our two boxers go to "dog camp" - they LOVE it. The first time we left them, I cried - but when we picked them up and they were exhausted from playing with other dogs, I realized they had a good time! We've left them there a few other times, and now we all love it! :banana: Our kennel encourages us to call during our trip, so we do check in daily - makes us feel so much better about leaving them.

The cat stays at home - we have a friend come by to give him some company (his litterbox cleans itself) and make sure he has lots of food. He would HATE going to a kennel - even though our kennel also has a very quiet, peaceful cattery!

It's hard to leave them, but it's one of the reasons we can't wait to get back home. Plus he always gets some surprises, although he may not like all of them.

floydrp3.jpg

This is about the cutest picture I've seen! DH and I are HUGE bulldog fans! (Doesn't seem like this is a "prize" he loves...:rotfl: )

I have 4 Dachshunds (Frankie, Sammy, Joey and Chloe). I work in a Veterinary Hospital with an attached Kennel. Many dogs do well in a kennel--and many do not. Especially pampered pets (like my 4!!) staying in a "basic"kennel beyond a day or two.
We found a retired couple who love the extra $$$ by staying at our home while we are away. There are many such couples and individuals around who are willing to do just that.
So my crew gets to stay in the familiar surroundings of home!!

Folks moving this over to the community board its a better fit over there. Thanks Rich

Whenever we travel with the whole family, we leave our bird Spanky, at the pet shop where we originally got him.

This is about the cutest picture I've seen! DH and I are HUGE bulldog fans! (Doesn't seem like this is a "prize" he loves...:rotfl: )

Thanks, yeah he wasnt a big fan of the Mickey Ears.. Although it made for a great Disney Christmas card this year ;) .

I feel awful about having to leave our puppies behind in a few days. Nemo the chihuahua and Sebastian the yorkie.

391.jpg

405.jpg

I am so relieved to find a thread like this one. My DH and kids think I am crazy to be so guilty about leaving our 8 yr. old yorkie, biscuit, behind when we go on vacation. I am so glad to hear other people feel the same way. We actually have my neighbor's son come in daily to feed him, walk him and play with him (we got our yorkie from this family when their yorkie had puppies so he is very familiar with biscuit). But I still feel guilty going on longer trips (7 days etc) so now I have my mom and dad dogsit biscuit at their house so that he isn't lonely. (Tried boarding him at the vet's once. I had heard great things about their boarding and they are staffed 24 hrs a day. But, much to my DH's dismay, we came home a day early from Hersheypark because I was so worried - could be why he thinks I am a little crazy). I will say though that in my families defense, the first thing they say when we get on the plane going home is that they can't wait to see the dog!!!! Yeah, we love him!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter