While we're on the subject of DVC Contemporary...

JustinsMama

Earning My Ears
Standard disclaimer of if and when blah, blah, blah...

I'm excited about the idea of a DVC on the monorail, near the MK, and most importantly to me so near the Polynesian, but in looking over pictures of the inside of the rehabbed rooms in the tower of the Contemporary, the theme doesn't do much for me. It's very elegant and modern but a tad neutral and boring for, I think a Disney resort. Of course I've never claimed to be sophisticated either. Who here thinks they will stick with that decorating scheme for the DVC villas there (again if and when) or maybe hopefully they'll somehow come up with a compromise between the older retro-futuristic room interior and the newer more elegant version?

I haven't really thought about the decor. I think the pictures of the rehabbed rooms look very nice, but for me it's all about location!

The first 5 WDW DVD resorts all had a very "girly" design. The hotel industry in general is really moving away from this motif. Lots of solid colors, square corners - very Pottery Barn / Crate and Barrel. With AKV, Disney is clearly moving in that direction, especially the initial designs with all the leather.

If I had to guess, they will continue to move in that direction with CRV. And I'll be darn disappointed. I want them to go all out with the design. CRV shouldn't be a 2000ish looking condo - I want an updated version of the Jetson's condo. I don't want it to feel like a place where people from Miami or LA go home to each night. I want it to feel like the place where the Space Mountain people go home each night. But I suspect they'll be very tame with the theming. Boo.

I totally agree. This resort is all about location. It kind of makes me sad that some of my fellow DVC owners are willing to sacrafice theaming (The holy Grail of Disney) in exchange for being on the monorail. Disney could never get away with building this non-theamed DVC anywhere else on property. I would never buy points there.

The first 5 WDW DVD resorts all had a very "girly" design. The hotel industry in general is really moving away from this motif. Lots of solid colors, square corners - very Pottery Barn / Crate and Barrel. With AKV, Disney is clearly moving in that direction, especially the initial designs with all the leather.

"GIRLY DESIGN" what is that supposed to mean :confused3 exactly?? I never thought of "LEATHER" as manly......popcorn::

I love the new Contemporary rooms. But like - the WLV rooms aren't the same as the WL rooms. So I'd not expect them to be exactly alike.

I was there yesterday to take pics of the wand and such, I wasn't thinking I'd be taking any at the Contemporary for my site. But they are actually building - real wood and everything, finally! :) Not just dirt.

"GIRLY DESIGN" what is that supposed to mean :confused3 exactly??
Pastel colors. Prints with lots of patterns rather than solid colors. Frills. Ruffles. How about "country home magazine" style instead of "girly"?

I totally agree. This resort is all about location. It kind of makes me sad that some of my fellow DVC owners are willing to sacrafice theaming (The holy Grail of Disney) in exchange for being on the monorail. Disney could never get away with building this non-theamed DVC anywhere else on property. I would never buy points there.

what in the world are you talking about when you say fellow dvc owners are willing to sacrafice theming. Currently DVC has nothing to do with the Contemporary, at least as far as the public knows.

You have no idea how the CRV, if there ever is one, will be themed.

Im sure Disney knows what they are doing, they ar enot going to just stick up some County Inn & Suites styled hotel and call it CRV

Standard disclaimer of if and when blah, blah, blah...

I'm excited about the idea of a DVC on the monorail, near the MK, and most importantly to me so near the Polynesian, but in looking over pictures of the inside of the rehabbed rooms in the tower of the Contemporary, the theme doesn't do much for me. It's very elegant and modern but a tad neutral and boring for, I think a Disney resort.

We spent one night at the CR this past March as I wanted to see the rehab rooms. I recently closed my interior design company to take on a new adventure as a TA so I was interested in the new scheme. While I really like the general look I was more concerned with the fact that it was a bit impractical for a resort that is family oriented. The frosted glass doors were covered with little hand prints ( mousekeeping came back 2 times to re-clean), the bathroom sinks were tough for the kids to handle as they are large and shallow, the dark woods also showed dust and fingerprints faster than a lighter scheme, etc.

The rooms certainly had elements of a hip twenty-something's condo and had a nice elegance to them but the lack of practicality can be an issue. We would still buy CRV if this is the scheme but it wont take long for the "look" to become outdated. Our family's preference is a scheme that you would not find in someone's home, i.e. the funky contemporary designs that have already been mentioned.

Regardless of the design, we will defefinately buy CRV when AND IF it happens!

Well, while I don't think the other DVCs are "girly", I do agree that if the "look" for the "alleged" ;) CRV is just one of "clean lines Crate and Barrel", that I would be a little disappointed.

I agree that I'd rather have it be like The Jetsons look.

do you realize how much the AKV models at SSR have changed - because of member comments?

why do you think that CR will be different?

DVC has really tried to listen to member comments and change and improved (my opinion). to make AKV less dark and definitely more liviable. (and I like dark)

Will CRV look like CR yes and no. BCV doesn't look like BC. they have changes.
I don't think AKV looks like AKL.

CRV will be modern - there is no getting around that - but it might live up to its name - comtemporary modern - instead of just modern.

see more block furniture. definitely more steel showing. the Jetsons did not work for the CR when they tried it.

let's face it OKW or BCV would not fit a CRV. wicker furniture or beach stuff is not my ideal of CR. It is what I love - have it my house. dark is handled by painting the walls a hard deep green.

what in the world are you talking about when you say fellow dvc owners are willing to sacrafice theming. Currently DVC has nothing to do with the Contemporary, at least as far as the public knows.

You have no idea how the CRV, if there ever is one, will be themed.

Im sure Disney knows what they are doing, they ar enot going to just stick up some County Inn & Suites styled hotel and call it CRV

I was referring to the exterior, and yes I do know what it will look like. The plans are already filed, are public record, and have been posted on this site. They look just like any condo highrise you would find in Miami. In fact, it looks a great deal like the Watergate Hotel in Washington D.C.

If I had to guess, they will continue to move in that direction with CRV. And I'll be darn disappointed. I want them to go all out with the design. CRV shouldn't be a 2000ish looking condo - I want an updated version of the Jetson's condo. I don't want it to feel like a place where people from Miami or LA go home to each night. I want it to feel like the place where the Space Mountain people go home each night. But I suspect they'll be very tame with the theming. Boo.

Interesting discussion. I'm in agreement with you on this. I've seen design trends in general going the direction you're talking, and while I really do like the Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel look, I've got it at home, so I'd rather see a more Disney themed look on vacation! Hopefully they'll come up with a nice compromise between "stylish" and "Jetsons" lol.

I was referring to the exterior, and yes I do know what it will look like. The plans are already filed, are public record, and have been posted on this site. They look just like any condo highrise you would find in Miami. .

I agree, and one reason why it would be last on our list of DVC's to stay at.

We spent one night at the CR this past March as I wanted to see the rehab rooms. I recently closed my interior design company to take on a new adventure as a TA so I was interested in the new scheme. While I really like the general look I was more concerned with the fact that it was a bit impractical for a resort that is family oriented. The frosted glass doors were covered with little hand prints ( mousekeeping came back 2 times to re-clean), the bathroom sinks were tough for the kids to handle as they are large and shallow, the dark woods also showed dust and fingerprints faster than a lighter scheme, etc.

The rooms certainly had elements of a hip twenty-something's condo and had a nice elegance to them but the lack of practicality can be an issue. We would still buy CRV if this is the scheme but it wont take long for the "look" to become outdated. Our family's preference is a scheme that you would not find in someone's home, i.e. the funky contemporary designs that have already been mentioned.

Regardless of the design, we will defefinately buy CRV when AND IF it happens!

I'm not a professional designer, yet I do know what I like...the rehabed CR rooms:thumbsup2

No finger prints on the frosted closet doors (with lots of storage) or on the furniture and the sink design was top-notch in my opin.

Of course, we don't have small children traveling with us either.:confused3 Perhaps they are aiming for a different demographic?

after watching an expose complete w/black light thingie on one of the nighty news shows last year (you wouldn't believe the amount of unseen body fluids etc. everywhere @ 4 star hotels:scared1: ); i welcome the use of materials that at least must be wiped down occasionally by housekeeping;) - if only for appearance's sake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter