Which Rides Cater to the GAC?

Reb0507

Earning My Ears
Hi. I am new to the board and have a question concerning my upcoming trip to WDW with my DD (5) who has an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She has many issues with sensory intergration (especially touch) and is impatient and normally tends to have her meltdowns when she is in an enclosed area and there are alot of unrecognizable people around her (very close to her like a long line at a popular Disney ride or attraction :) ). We have gone to WDW several times but really couldnt take full advantage of it and could only do a few rides/attractions per day because of her meltdowns and having to find quiet spaces for her regroup. We would use FastPass as an alternative but even with that she still wasnt able to see all that the parks had to offer.

It was just brought to my attention (thanks to you all here on the DISablities Board) that we could possibly obtain one of those GAC for children with "unapparent disabilities" such as autism which could alleviate some Shelby's issue waiting around alot of people for long periods of time in line. I dont want to use this to cut in front of people but it could come in handy if we could board a ride not having to wait a long time with hoards of people.

I am just wondering if any of you know (through past experience) which are the rides that have the special entrances for those with GAC? And are the CM receptive to the pass? Is the pass something we show the CM at the front of the ride and they direct us where to go?

I ask this so that I dont get my hopes up to take her on a specific ride/attraction and we get there and there is too long of a line with no Fastpass and we cannot use the GAC. I could just see me trying to explain to Shelby (who cant understand why) why we cant go on a a certain ride.

Just trying to prepare myself mentally for this upcoming trip. I really want to make sure Shelby gets the most out of this Disney experience.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

I just came back from Disney and used the GAC card for the first time. This definitely relieved a lot of the anxiety for my son. All of the cast members handled the GAC with appropriate care. When the ride has a fast pass you will be directed to that lane. Other rides like the Mad Teacups or Dumbo, that have no fastpass you will be directed to the exit and then be put on the ride from there. At some things, the wait might be a little longer, but you will be able to wait in a less crowded area and therefore, it is an easier wait.

We look forward to going back in two weeks and my son is truly excited!

Good luck.

Dyan pirate:

Thanks Dyan. You made me feel more reassured that it is a good thing to have and that it would not be hard to use. :wizard:

Was their usually a CM at the front of the ride that you showed the GAC to?

Did any of the people in the standby line make any snooty comments about you boarding from a different area? I have heard that some of the people who dont know about the GAC or its use can be mean to those waiting in the special loading areas. :confused3

Did you have to show a doctors note? Does the note have to be from the neurologist or can her primary care physician write the letter? (I ask this because the neurologist office charges $20 to process a letter - can you beleive that?)

Thanks again for all your help Dyan. Do you live close to Orlando that you are going back in two weeks? We are going March 10-13 (somewhat busy time)

Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about thier GAC experience I'd be curious to know. The more I know - the more prepared I can be. :earboy2:

Rebecca, we used the GAC for the first time 12/2004 for our DD7. She has similar issues as your child.

About obtaining the GAC: I was worried that the cm at guest relations (just outside of each park) would not believe me since DD7 has non-visible issues. I worte a letter explaining our situation and asked the cm to read the letter. At first she asked (in a very nice way) if I could explaint he situation to her and I said her if she would mind reading the typed letter. SHe did and gave us the GAC no problem. I had official documentation with me but was not asked to show it. I have read on these boards that you do not need official documentation from a doctor/therapist. The most important thing is that you can explain the situation (the help your child will require) .

About using the GAC, usually there is a cm at the front or each attraction. Just go up to that cm and show them the GAC. I never once had to explain anything else and they will direct you to where you should wait. There is no exact process at each ride. I think it depends on how busy the attraction happen to be at that time and how many othe GAC holders are currently waiting etc etc.

Let me tell you, each cm we encountered seemed very familiar with the GAC and how to deal with us. I was worried that at each attraction I would have to explain DD's issues again but not so. Once they see the GAC, they take over and direct you to where you should go, wait etc.

We sort of figured that this would be a "once in a lifetime trip", but due to how well DD7 managed (due in part by the GAC) we are planning on going again 12/2006 for 11 nights. So don't worry, things will be fine. If possible, check out the park maps (can be found on the WDW web site) and try and get familiar with the theme park lay outs. This can help immensely when trying to get around the parks.

Regarding, other WDW guests, we had no problems with them at all. But then again, I was for the most part watching DD7 and how she was reacting/interacting with people/surroundings, I was quite blind to what was going on outside of my family.

One more hint: get to the parks VERY early (if possible, we were there at opening for non-EMH days, did not do EMH days). We walked into Fantasyland and assumed it wasn't opened yet. It was very quiet. We were in and out of this land very quickly. We walked back through (from Toontown) a couple hours later and it crazy busy.

Any more questions/concerns, ask away.
fyi: we have only gone to WDW once, so all info. is based on one trip only. But we can't wait to get back.

Suzy V

A couple of pointers for a GAC.

You do not need anything in writing. However, having something from the doctor cannot hurt. Any note should explain what the needs are and not the diagnoses. Asking for "front of the Line Access" is not an acceptable request.

Normally the best thing to do is show the GAC to the first CM at the outside of the attraction. That person will then give the detail you need.

riu girl said:
There is no exact process at each ride. I think it depends on how busy the attraction happen to be at that time and how many othe GAC holders are currently waiting etc etc. Suzy V
You are right. That is what we have been told by CMs.

Also, very good advice to get to the park early if you can. We can't when we are going with DD, but when DH and I have gone alone or he has gone with other DD and her cousins, we were able to see everything in Fantasyland without a wait at all (even getting off one ride and getting right back on as fast as we caould walk). We experienced this last Spring during Spring break (very busy time) and DH and I did it in July (also busy). By the time the park started getting busy aroun 11, we were ready to stop for lunch and missed the crowds.

Wow - thanks for all of the advice. I am even more excited in that I think having the GAC will really make a difference in how Shelby enjoys the trip.

I have to go by the pediatrician's office next Tuesday morning to pick up my sons immunization reports....while I am there I will ask to see if they can do a quick letter...to be on the safe side. My concern that when the CM see's Shelby she will think she is just normal kid (because thats what other people see who dont know about her ASD). They dont see the lack of social interaction, communication and sensory integration problems she has.

Has anyone used the GAC during busy times? I was just wondering whats the longest any of you have had to wait in the GAC sections during busy time? I am a little concerned because we are going the 2nd week in March.

We are planning to do MGM on Friday (since its a EMH at MK and we are staying off-site). And then getting to MK early on Saturday morning and trying to do as much as Shelby can handle. Sometimes even seeing all the people milling about makes her a little un-easy. Last time she went, her way of coping with things was sitting in her umbrella stroller and putting a cap over her head and eyes -- I guess to shut out the hustle and bustle. It worked because there werent that many meltdowns that time.

Thanks again for all of your advice. :cheer2: You are GREAT!!!!

Rebecca

I'm not sure how how old your daughter is but you wrote she can use a mall stroller. DD7 is quite large for her age but we still rented a double stroller (for her and DS4). They both fit fine in it. You might want to consider renting a WDW stroller or bringing a stroller with you.

I found having the stroller really helped. It gave DD7 the seperation she sometimes needs from others. On the GAC they used the stamp "can use stroller as a wheelchair". Therefore, at the beginning of ride lines, we did not have to take them out of the stoller, they were able to stay in it while we waited in lines. This gave DD7 time to read, play handheld electronic games, blow bubbles, eat, etc. while in line. Without the stroller, she would have been much closer to others and would not have had her own personal space. As well, by using the stroller the kids lasted much longer at the theme parks then without. If we could see they were getting tired, we just gave them a small blanket and teddy bear and they had some quiet time in the stroller. We were at MK Dec 21 and it was CROWDED by lunch time.
To get a spot for the night time parade we had to get to the parade route about an hour ahead. The kids stayed in the stroller the whole time playing with light up dollar store wands I had bought special for the parade wait. After the parade , they sat back down in the stroller and waited another 30 or so minutes for the fireworks. We were at a very crowded area and people were elbow to elbow. Without the stroller and toys, DD7 probably would have not been able to tolerate the wait time/crowd.

They are pricey to rent though. The double was $15 US/day, but to us it was worth every penny. We won't be going back until DD is 9 but will rent one again. I have read that they can accomodate a small 12 year old.

Happy planning,
Suzy V

The last time we went I dont recall having anything to go tot eh front of the line. Whats a GAC? My son is handicapped and we took his w/c right to the front. Or in a back door. Have things changed? CM? New here, sorry.

Rebecca,

Just so you don't make yourself crazy worrying about the note, I went with all kinds of official documentation and brought both of his medications to prove his disability, as he looks like a normal kid. The CM told me due to legal reasons, they can't make a guest show proof and would not even look at anything I brought, they really depend on the honor system.

Although, I felt funny at times, I didn't notice anybody looking at us and more important, my son didn't feel any different!!!

The reason I am going back so soon is that I live in Miami and we have a four day weekend, I'll let you know if it is busy and how it goes...

Dyan pirate:

Donnask8pro said:
The last time we went I dont recall having anything to go tot eh front of the line. Whats a GAC? My son is handicapped and we took his w/c right to the front. Or in a back door. Have things changed? CM? New here, sorry.
Hi Donna. Welcome to disABILITIES.

A "CM" is a Cast Member, Disney's name for all employees because they are all "part of the show".

A Guest Assistance Card is for a person with invisible disabilities to be able to show to a CM for special assistance. See the "disABILITIES FAQ" which is about the 4th entry in the index for this forum.

Most of the lines for attractions are "mainstreamed", which means that they are wc accessible. Those that are not accessible have alternate entrances.

lewdyan1 said:
Rebecca,

Just so you don't make yourself crazy worrying about the note, I went with all kinds of official documentation and brought both of his medications to prove his disability, as he looks like a normal kid. The CM told me due to legal reasons, they can't make a guest show proof and would not even look at anything I brought, they really depend on the honor system.

Although, I felt funny at times, I didn't notice anybody looking at us and more important, my son didn't feel any different!!!

The reason I am going back so soon is that I live in Miami and we have a four day weekend, I'll let you know if it is busy and how it goes...

Dyan pirate:

I am in Miami too! :banana: What part of Miami? I go up to Orlando as often as I can because its such a short drive. It is a Small World...hahahha!

Yes - please let me know how it goes during that weekend because that should be a busy weekend. Thanks again for all your advice.

What school does your son go to? My daughter attends Blue Lakes Elem.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

We live in Kendall. The kids both go to Leewood Elementary.

We have the season pass and try to go whenever we have these four day weekends. Because we have the GAC, we are able to cut our time in the parks to half days. You will find that your daughter can see what she likes and then you will be able to have more down time. So Disney actually becomes a restful vacation!!!

I will make sure to get in touch with you after next week.

Dyan pirate:

We are going March 5-12. Everyone has told us that he will do fine. We are bringing the doctors note just in case. As you know you always need to be ready. I have been reading these threads to get ideas for my son and it seems as if there are alot of children out there with autism. Does anyone know of a web site were we all can go and chat?

my family & i have traveled with my brother, who has autism, to wdw & have nothing but great experiences with disney! my parents were issued the gac for him, they did bring a copy of medical records. (had no issues though) we used the gac on the most of rides (big thunder, splash, haunted mansion, all of fantasyland & kilimanjoro safari, tough to be a bug) with him at magic kingdom & animal kingdom. he has a very hard time with crowds & this card helped so much, he was able to enjoy the attractions, all the cm's were helpful & from what i heard/saw other guests didnt complain. (beware of peter pans flight though, we had to leave the park after his meltdown from the crocodile in the ride, to much sensory for him)

also my brother loves the resort pools (allstar movies, port orleans french quarter & the beach club) & typhoon lagoon (they have family water slides which were perfect for our group) we all had tons of fun just swimming (especially him). we also did minigolf at the fantasia course near the yacht & beach club, which he really enjoyed.

tip - dont go to magic kingdom or animal kingdom on friday, saturday, sunday or monday these days are way to crowded, its much easier during the week. we also plan a decent amount of downtime, so he's not overwhelmed at wdw. also if your childs picky, my brother is, we always bring snacks & juice drinks, as he doesnt always eat whats on the menus. check out allearsnet.com for a list of menus/prices for wdw restaurants for when your planning meals/ps-reservations.

best wishes to everyone & their families on their wdw trips!

Hi Rebecca,
I have a 5yr old son with ASD, and we have taken him to WDW twice. Echoing the advice above, I would say the two single things that made the most difference to his enjoyment of the parks were the Park Strollers we rented, which are really enclosed and give him a safe place, and the GAC. We've never had any problems getting one, never had to show documentation, the CM's are always courteous, you just need to find one on the ride you want to go on, and explain, showing the card. I've never heard any negative comments from other guests either. Most rides, like Pooh and Peter Pan, send you into the Fastpass line, so you still queue, and the length of time depends on the number of people in the FP queue. No-one else in that queue would know if you were there with a fast-pass ticket or not. Other times you go in the exit, or the wheelchair entrance (like autopia, or Mickey's Philarmagic). It's also good on shows like Playhouse Disney, as you go in first, and can settle your daughter down in the place you think might be best for her (might be at the back or side, so you can make a quick exit if necessary) before the crowds come in.
We've found it best to use with Luke for the first time he goes on a ride. He won't queue if he doesn't know what for, and will get distressed very quickly. If it wasn't for the GAC he would never have been on anything. Once the ride is familiar, he will queue in the main line if he wants to go on it, so it's been a great way of teaching him to cope with queues.
I hope you have a great holiday, my son talks about it every day and loves it so much.
Leise :)

A REMINDER
I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but sometimes the very specific, detailed information being shared on this thread is also helpful to people who don't have special needs and are looking for ways to "beat" the system.

So, please continue to be helpful, but think about whether some of the very specific information is really that important to share and whether it could be misused.
Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences using the GAC. We are leaving Saturday for a week in WDW with our 7 year old ds and our 4 year old twins. One of the twins has ASD and many sensory issues and we were wondering how awkward it might be to use a GAC. Our last trip was two years ago and it was often nighmarish - it was actually that trip that made dh admit ds was more than just spirited. Reading this thread and others like it has alleviated some of my concerns and we're definitely going to get a GAC now (we have a copy of ds' IEP to bring). We don't expect to skip lines, but being able to wait in a quieter area will be a lifesaver for us.

Has anyone else used social stories to prepare your ASD children for a trip to WDW? Liam's special-ed teacher made him a wonderful book and has been working with him for the last few weeks to help him understand the idea of having to wait. Hopefully it will help! ;)

I echo the sentiment of the GAC and stroller. We did have one obnoxious woman behind me in line at Buzz Lightyear ride who kept yelling "you can't bring your stroller in line!" I kept telling her I had permission, but she just kept harping how I can't do that. I finally blurted "we have permission due to disability!". She shut up, and her husband looked so embarassed. It was enough to make me not use the GAC or stroller in line again. My son had just been recently diagnosed as having an autistic spectrum disorder (PDD at that time), and always already devasted by that news, then to have a woman pestering us like that just made it worse. I think it was so hard on my because it was just me and DS. My DH was taking care of our baby and didn't go on that ride, so I was alone to deal with that idiot!

This time, we WILL be using the GAC and stroller as needed. If DS does well, I'll be thrilled, but it's nice to know we have the option to the GAC if he's having a bad day. :)

mamacelt - when we've gone with my brother whos autistic, we always prepare with disney sing along songs vhs' like campout at wdw, disneyland fun, we own the whole sas collection and we read disney books like our wdw 25th anniversary book, disney read along stores collection & story reader. you can usually rent most of these from your local library too. one of his past special ed teachers was so nice too, she did a wdw day in their class with books & activities, which he really enjoyed.

he loves the sing along song movie collection & books anyways so its pretty easy preparing him for a wdw trip just all the noise, lines & people when we're there. hope you & your family have a great wdw trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter