Which resort for a summer trip?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
If you were to choose a resort for a summer vacation, which one would you choose?

I'm trying to figure out where we'll be going on vacation next summer, and while I don't think we'll be going to Disney, it is still open as a possibility (as in, if we can't figure out what we want to do we'll just go there). We've done summers at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian before, and in addition to those, we've also stayed at the Contemporary, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, and All-Star Music.

So, if you were to choose a resort for a summer vacation, which one would you choose? I'd like to hear opinions on both the deluxes as well as the moderates. :)

Thanks!

Hi Cali!

I think I'd choose Boardwalk if I went deluxe. It would be like visiting Atlantic City in the early days when it was really classy. Plus you'd be near Epcot and YC/BC with great restaurants and night time activities.

If I were to choose a mod, I'd go with Caribbean Beach. It would help to evoke the feel of the tropics and it's so bright and colorful, I think it makes a perfect summer selection.

Actually, we're going in the summer and if we can't swing the Contemporary, we will be going with a mod, just can't decide between CBR and PO-FQ.

Hope this helps!!! Have fun planning whatever summer vacation you end up taking!!!!!!!!

Anne

Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming
If you were to choose a resort for a summer vacation, which one would you choose?

I'm trying to figure out where we'll be going on vacation next summer, and while I don't think we'll be going to Disney, it is still open as a possibility (as in, if we can't figure out what we want to do we'll just go there). We've done summers at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian before, and in addition to those, we've also stayed at the Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, and All-Star Music.

So, if you were to choose a resort for a summer vacation, which one would you choose? I'd like to hear opinions on both the deluxes as well as the moderates. :)

Thanks!

I would say the YC. We love it there and the pool is the best in our opinion so for hot moths we would vote for the YC. Assuming $$ is not an issue of course.

Well, it depends! Do you like to be reminded of summer while vacationing in Florida in the 100 degree heat? If so, go for one of the tropical or "beachy" type resorts.

If you want to feel like you are "escaping" from the heat of Florida and the parks when you go back to your room, I would suggest the Wilderness Lodge... it is truly like going somewhere else... and I swear it almost feels like the temperature drops 10 degrees.. probably because it is surrounded by all of those pines...lol! Of course, since you have stayed there, you know that!

Personally, out of your choices, I would probably choose:
Moderate: PO-FQ--- we like the closeness of this resort, and the fact that there is access via boat to 2 different themed pools, and then there is the boat to DTD, as well!

Deluxe: if you want to stay somewhere you haven't stayed, then how about the Boardwalk? It is very pretty, convenient to both MGM and Epcot, and has some nice eateries. The slide at the pool is pretty nice, too!

I am afraid in the Florida heat, if I were to stay in AKL, I would really feel like I was IN Africa!

Good luck on your decision!

Cali did you enjoy the BC? We may be going in August, I chose it because of the pool I hear so much about.

Cali, I agree with scanne, the Boardwalk would be a great resort for a summertime trip. I just stayed there last May and we loved it. I also think GF and BC would be nice, as they have a summery feel any time of year.

Debbie

Originally posted by Kallison
Cali did you enjoy the BC? We may be going in August, I chose it because of the pool I hear so much about.

Yes, we did enjoy the Beach Club, and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I was a bit disappointed by StormAlong Bay - I guess I expected more than what it was. The location of the Beach Club is probably the biggest selling point for it, and it makes it worth it to stay there. :)

Why were you dissapointed in the pool? We are going in JUne and thinking of staying here only for the pool. thanks...amy

Hey Cali!
I love the Boardwalk!! This year we'll probably stay at the Boardwalk Villas. I love the close proximity to two parks and the beautiful resort. My kids love the slide and so do I! Can't wait to get back there, but we'll have to wait for August when my son is finished with baseball and baseball tournaments.
:( If you haven't tried it yet, perhaps you should give it a try. :D

And if that doesn't work out :teeth: I would pick someplace with a lot of stuff nearby. NOT AKL. I think the pool there would get icky in the summer, as it's quite shallow. Too warm.

Where else in the (real) world are you considering?

Does anyone have pictures of this StromBay pool. I like for someone to decribe it. Or see a picture of it. I won't know what's all the hype is about. Know what don't have over the mods. I just curious.

Originally posted by corvair
Why were you dissapointed in the pool? We are going in JUne and thinking of staying here only for the pool. thanks...amy

Everyone describes it as "the best" here on the boards, and I expected it to be a really nice pool. I actually prefer the pools at the Grand Floridian and Polynesian - and I liked the slide at the GF better than SAB's. The pool itself reminds me of River Country on a busy day.

Many people love it, and you really need to form your own opinion on it. :)

Originally posted by corvair

Hi corvair,

I am assuming you are refering to Cali's post where she mentioned being disapointed with Storm-A-Long Bay. I am not Cali and will not try to speak for her. I can give you the following description of the pool and how we enjoyed it.

There is the sunken ship that is also the slide. There is then the whole sand bottom section. This is the best area for us. My husband and I enjoy just relaxing in this section and walking with our feet in the sand. I also rent the tubes they have so that I can just float around from the sand bottom section out into what I would call more of the regular section. There is also a lazy river type section and then a whole kiddie area that is like palying in the swallow water at a beach there are also some hot tubs spread around the area.

We enjoy this pool very much and the times we were there they also offered pool side food and drink service. Something about ordering a Pina Colada pool side really makes me feel like I am on vacation.

In fact my husband and I just spoke about this last night. That when we go on our Sept trip in 2003 we are 99.9% sure that we will go back to the YC instead of the AKL because of the location and the pool.

Originally posted by Gillian
And if that doesn't work out :teeth: I would pick someplace with a lot of stuff nearby. NOT AKL. I think the pool there would get icky in the summer, as it's quite shallow. Too warm.

Where else in the (real) world are you considering?

Hi Gillian,

We have stayed at the AKL twice totaling 15 days. Both times during the Florida hot season ( Memorial Day weekend and from Sept 1st through the 10th of 2001). Temps everyday in the 90's.

The pool at the AKL was great. Not "icky" at all. We could always see clear down to the bottom as the pool is not that deep. I believe the deepest part is right round 5ft. We enjoyed the AKL pool very much.

We enjoy the sand bottom section of Storm-A-Long Bay more and that is why we will probaly be back at the YC during our next warm weather trip in Sept 03 but I just wanted to attest that the AKL pool does not get "icky" in warm weather.

if youre going in the summer, when tthe parks are open their longest, then id say stay at a home away from home. Then you can eat in room alot and close the bedroom door on sleeping kids and still talk to your spouse.

on our august trip we stayed at OKW, and it was perfect! We had breakfast in the room, then headed out to the park of the day. Then we came back for lunch and naps or pool time, staying out of the parks during the hottest and most crowded parts of the day. Then about 5 wed head back to the parks for dinner and stay until we couldnt go anymore.

Tiffany, I didn't mean icky like a baby pool! LOL! I just meant too warm, not refreshing like you want a swim to be during the summer.

We did love the pool there when we visited in September (which is just as hot as summer, isn't it? :) ), but only went swimming at night. 2 afternoons in a row we had HUGE rainstorms that I'm sure cooled everything down. The pool still felt pretty warm, though.

Originally posted by stacy6552
Then you can eat in room alot and close the bedroom door on sleeping kids and still talk to your spouse.
Cali - your parents can make you take a nap while they talk in the living room :teeth:

Just kidding Stacy! I totally agree about the HAFH resorts, but I don't think Cali's family needs to worry much about sleeping kids. :)

Originally posted by Gillian
Tiffany, I didn't mean icky like a baby pool! LOL! I just meant too warm, not refreshing like you want a swim to be during the summer.

We did love the pool there when we visited in September (which is just as hot as summer, isn't it? :) ), but only went swimming at night. 2 afternoons in a row we had HUGE rainstorms that I'm sure cooled everything down. The pool still felt pretty warm, though.

I would agree that it is on the warm side. I am someone who gets out of my pool at home when it is 90 degress and is cold so somthing being on the warm side of things is good for me.:) We stayed at the Dolphin this past Aug and it was like 95 one day and I was "cold in the pool" at the Dolphin. My husband was just shaking his head. I had to go into the Hot Tub to warm up.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter