• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which hotel would you recommend for us?

SpacecadetNZ

Disney Fan from NZ
Hi experts :flower3:
We are planning a trip to Disneyland from New Zealand in late June or early July 2014 (dates yet to be determined, but yes I know it's unfortunately peak time - darn NZ school holidays). I'm totally bamboozled by the choice of hotels and opinions so thought I would come straight to the experts to get your suggestion on what would best suit our needs.

We are two adults and two kids (ages 6 and 8). Given how much walking the kids will have to be doing at the parks (last time we visited in 2010, they were in strollers and life was much easier!), we'd like not to have to start our day with a huge long walk so easy transport links or a short walk are preferable.

Do any of the hotels offer a similar room set-up to the genius idea at LEGOLAND Hotel (ie, a separate room for the adults with bunk beds for the kids)? All being in the one room in a hotel means that we all have to go to bed when the youngest does. However, given we'll be trying to get him to stay up for Fantasmic and/or World of Colour, that will be much later than usual anyway, so separate rooms are less of a priority than keeping costs reasonable.

So I guess our criteria are:
- easy walk or easy reliable transport
- a separate sleeping area for the kids if such a thing exists at a reasonable price
- a pool to cool off in the afternoons
- a reasonable price (the NZ$ is not as high as the US$).

We stayed at HoJo in 2009 and found it very crowded and impersonal but I suspect we will find the same situation at any hotel in peak season.

The HoJo is the only hotel I know for certain has bunkbeds (other people will know more hotels with them), but you could try looking at the Residence Inn on Clementine (all suites hotel) and the Desert Inn & Suites (good rates can be found for family suites). The Del Sol has a family suite, too. And the new Springhill Suites -- not open yet, but scheduled for this summer -- (http://www.springhillanaheim.com) looks good -- and should be open just in time for your trip.

We have reservations at Park Vue and if I remember correctly, they have a configuration with bunk beds (or a separate bedroom). There are lots of suites-style motels available along Harbor and Katella. Harbor is closer to main Disney entrance, but Katella is supposedly a manageable walk, from what I read on these boards. Trip Advisor is a great tool. Look up Anaheim hotels to get the reviews, names, website links to determine if they have suites. Have fun planning!

We like the Del Sol. It is very close to the crosswalk. Their rates are very reasonable, especially if you book directly on their website. They have a room with 2 queens and a bunk bed. It is not separate rooms, but the room is fairly large. Breakfast is basic, but enough to get you through for a bit. The rooms are clean and there is a small pool and hot tub for afternoon swims. I've heard good things about the desert inn and suites, but have never stayed there.

Two years ago we stayed at the castle inn with the kids and my FIL in a family suite. The door to the room opened to a room with one queen and an ensuite. Then a door separating th back bedroom with two queens. It was a no frills hotel but the setup worked well for us.

No Hotel advise as we stay in Time share.. on Katella....

but there is the ART Anaheim Rapid Transport system.. some of the hotels have the ticket kiosk inside the foyer ,, others are at the bus shelter on the side of the road.. your hotel will be able to tell you if they are on an ART route.

If you are willing to use a shuttle service, check the Embassy Suites Garden Grove -- nice suites, hot (generous) breakfast included -- our friends have been very happy there.

Just want to relieve your mind a bit about your kids and walking. The last time we went to Disney our twins were 4 and in a stroller. I was very nervous about this first trip "without" one. But they did AMAZING. And although I was worried about not having a stroller as well for holding things, it was actually MUCH easier NOT having one. We were able to get in faster, get to places faster, and not worry about going back to grab it, or fitting through crowds, or parking it. I can't believe now that I was ever worried about it. And we spent all day at the parks without a break. Both of my younger kids kept up with my older two for the entire day. It is truly amazing what a difference 2 years make. So, try not to fret too much about it. You may be surprised at how well they do! :thumbsup2 Good luck with the hotel search and hope you have an amazing trip!

There are some trade offs in your situation. It sounds like you have 2 main needs:

• a hotel within close walking distance
  • a hotel with suite-style accomodations (i.e., with a door that you can close off so you and your significant other can enjoy the evening after the kiddos fall asleep)

The challenge here is that there are not a whole lot of options of hotels/motels within walking distance that also meet the 2nd item on your list. By far, THE closest motel to the park entrance (side of the GCH) is the Best Western Park Place Inn. But I don't think it would meet the 2nd criteria.

Hojo's is favored by many folks on these boards because they have the Kids Suites, but as you mentioned in your post, you tried that place before and didn't care for it too much. And in terms of a walk, it's a bit on the long side of walking distance.

Residence Inn Garden Grove, not quick walking distance but the ART stops directly in front of hotel. The atmosphere is great there. A huge breakfast is served daily, and I believe light dinners also. The rooms have kitchens in them and you can get family suites with a seperate room for kids with bunkbeds and their own bathroom. Plenty of restaraunts around and a Super Target across the street.

Carousel Inn and Suites has the set up and is close. Portofino has a similar room, slightly longer walk. I prefer the Residence Inn on Clementine myself.

We like the Del Sol. It is very close to the crosswalk. Their rates are very reasonable, especially if you book directly on their website. They have a room with 2 queens and a bunk bed. It is not separate rooms, but the room is fairly large. Breakfast is basic, but enough to get you through for a bit. The rooms are clean and there is a small pool and hot tub for afternoon swims. I've heard good things about the desert inn and suites, but have never stayed there.

x2 :goodvibes

Hi experts :flower3:
We are planning a trip to Disneyland from New Zealand in late June or early July 2014 (dates yet to be determined, but yes I know it's unfortunately peak time - darn NZ school holidays).

You should feel fortunate to be going in the summer. Long park hours, full entertainment schedules, and nice weather. With the parks getting more and more crowded during "non-peak" times, the peak summer months have a lot going for them now.

As for hotels, it's going to be tough to get a room with those requirements this late. The kids suites are limited at the hotels that have them and they book many months out. Sometimes you can get lucky on a few months notice, but the longer your stay, the more difficult it is to land one of those rooms.

We love and recommend a Howard Johnson family suite or two adjoining rooms. On the rare night their legs give out you could use the ART for returning in the evenings. Alternatively, at the exit gate turn right to the cab queue and grab a cab back to your hotel.

Have a great time!

You should feel fortunate to be going in the summer. Long park hours, full entertainment schedules, and nice weather. With the parks getting more and more crowded during "non-peak" times, the peak summer months have a lot going for them now.
Please don't get me wrong. I am extremely grateful and excited to be going at all! New Zealand is about 6000 miles from Disneyland so I am blessedly fortunate to be going at all and yes, there is plenty to be grateful about with going in summer too. I am really looking forward to it. I was just saying "unfortunately" as a short-hand way of explaining that our dates are not flexible in case anyone was going to try and be helpful and suggest we come at a less peak time. Thank you for reminding me that there is plenty to be grateful about :yay:

Thank you for the suggestion about HoJo's family suites. They are all booked solid during the time we're visiting. Definitely a gap in the market for family suite style accommodation for any clever hoteliers.

Another option is a 1 bedroom villa at Grand California. Although the kids would have to share the sofa bed. I'd rent points if you decide to go that route.

Use google earth and its measuring tool to check distances to the hotels. The hotel descriptions of their location can be deceiving. If you don't know the name of a particular hotel use street view and look at their sign and address from the street. Most hotel websites have room floor plans so you can find what will fit your needs. Paradise Pier Hotel is the best value if you want to stay on property and has a pretty good slide at the pool. The rooms are large, there is a lobby bar (kid friendly) that serves food along with the sit down restaurant with character breakfast and regular lunch and dinner. Also, if you walk across the street to Grand Californian, just ask anyone how to get to Downtown Disney and you will be shown the shortcut. There is also the entrance to DCA for Disney Hotel guests there but don't use it for a magic morning, the line can be 45 minutes or longer defeating the purpose of an extra hour. Food wise keep in mind to ask about purchasing items ala carte, most eateries won't have the single items on the menu, but if you only want eggs for breakfast, etc. it doesn't hurt to ask. Most will accommodate.

Lastly, keep all of this info secret. It's taken years and many thousands of dollars to collect it. Have fun.

No Hotel advise as we stay in Time share.. on Katella....

but there is the ART Anaheim Rapid Transport system.. some of the hotels have the ticket kiosk inside the foyer ,, others are at the bus shelter on the side of the road.. your hotel will be able to tell you if they are on an ART route.

Nikki, you didn't by chance stay at the Worldmark Anaheim did you?

We are looking at possibly staying there.

Thanks!

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Homewood Suites. We had a 1-bedroom suite and when his cousin stayed over after the day at DL, she stayed on the pull-out couch. We really liked the room (although the elevators were slow).

They also had a shuttle to/from DL every 30 minutes, or so. Worked perfectly for us!

Oh! They also had breakfast, so I was able to take my hot tea on the way to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter