Where to eat as a solo-er... advice needed!

Ducky4Disney

-->Place Tag HERE!
Ahhh.. my first solo trip! A great vacation from everything, even DH ;) , I just made my ressie's for POFQ and now I need to think about where to eat. So for all those solo vets out there, what do you recommend? Have you had good experiences solo at character meals? Do you prefer counter service over sit-down meals? What about a really nice sit-down place?

I'd love to hear your advice! :listen:

D4D

You know...the Teppankaki Grill in Japan at Epcot would be cool....many people sit around one big grill.....so there would be many people there.

Saw a single lady in the Rose and Crown...she had a wonderful lunch.

Guess the only place I wouldn't go would be 'Ohana.

Let us know where you plan!

On my solo stays, I've eaten just about anywhere. The only thing I haven't done is a character meal. That's the only place I'd feel weird... Mostly because I'd hate to keep asking the people next to me to take my picture with Pluto.

You know...Mom and I went to our first character dinner last November...we didn't take any pictures with characters! We were too busy watching everyone have fun...I would go by myself!

Teppankaki Grill in Japan is a good idea! DH and I ate here last time and I forgot it was there! That's a perfect place to eat solo! If you like Rainforest Care that's another place where you can sit at a bar eat without getting a table for one. I would also like to try some new eateries but I'm hesitant because I know my DH would want to experience them with me. For instance, I'd like to do California Grill, but I think I'll save that for my June trip (just 3 weeks after the May trip! :bounce: )

Mama Melrose's in MGM would be good solo, how about some MK suggestions?

D4D

It took me about 4 solo trips before I could enjoy sit-down dining. Before that, whenever I tried it, I just wasn't comfortable-preferred counter serve. But now I enjoy-Le Chefs de France (be sure you get a window table) for lunch, Sci-Fi, CRT at lunch. One tip-if you get up to go to the rest room during your meal, be sure to tell your server-otherwise you could come back to your table and find your meal cleared away! At counter serve, make real sure you get everything you need before you sit down. Once I got back up to get more catsup, came back to find my tray cleared, and another family had already "moved in".

At MK I'd say both the LTT and the Castle are good choices. I've eaten lunch and dinners at both solo. I really enjoyed the character dinner. I was a little uncomfortable at first, but they made me feel right at home :goodvibes The characters sat down with me at my table and the server took our pictures. It turned out to be a lot of fun! I did not enjoy CP solo but it might have just been a bad day. It was very busy, I waited way past my PS time and the characters were so busy they just waved as they went by, the servers were so busy that they didn't offer to take photos and I didn't ask. This was not the case when I dined here with my DD.
Kathe

D4D
Just wanted to add that if you plan on visiting any of the resorts AKL is a great choice. I make a visit to Jiko a MUST every solo trip now. I usually head there on a day I've been to AK and eat at the "cooking place" where they prepare the flatbreads, etc. The chefs will talk to you and it's fun to watch them. I have had really good service there. Boma is also a good choice if you like buffets. I have done this solo twice and both times they seated me near a window which was nice.
Kathe

Since you're staying at POFQ, I recommend heading over to POR's Boatwright's for a great sit-down breakfast. On my solo trip last year, all the staff there bustled around me and made me feel at home - almost literally, as if I'd dropped by for a visit at someone's house. Their treatment was a wonderful part of the southern charm that pervades that resort, and the food was fantastic!

I am really looking forward to this trip, thanks for the suggestions! Now is my chance to try some new places that DH wasn't that interested in, like Sci-Fi. By the way, I figured out that Teppanyaki is not the place that DH and I ate last time, and I am VERY excited to try this hibachi restaurant! I love eating at the resorts and POFQ and POR sound like they have good choices for food. I might wander back to CSR (my fav) and I think I'll try AKL's "cooking place" like Katypop said. I have to remember that I am going back really soon after this trip so I'll have lots of time to try more with DH and my friends!

When in doubt, I can always eat in Germany. Oktoberfest is one of my favorites and there's always nice people to sit next to!

D4D

Truthfully, you can eat anyplace you want as a solo and enjoy it. Character meals, sit-downs, counter-service, it's all good.

The best part of solo dining is that you can try any place you want with no compromises. Since you don't have to cater to the needs or tastes of anyone but yourself, you can try those places that your family always considered "too weird", or skip those places you don't like that your family forces you to endure on every trip!

You will also find that getting into the sit-down places with no PS is much easier for solos. You may still have a wait, especially at really popular places, but at some places like Akershaus and Biergarten you can often get seated immediately.

I was near Disney while my hubby was at a conference, and ate at a couple of places solo-didn't mind-took in the atmoshpere, enjoyed people watching-here is what I liked, other than the obvious counter service choices, which would be fine-
50's Prime Time Cafe (why not-it was fun)
Cindy's Royal Table for Dinner (had a great prime rib)
Rose and Crowne (watched the water)
The Italian Restaurant in Epcot (Italy)

I also took the monorail to some eateries in the Poly and GF just for fun, had a couple of quiet drinks and meals. Enjoy your time!

I had a good time at Tony's in the MK. Ask for Dirk or Shawn as your waiter, if you can. They were SOO much fun. I was actually sitting at Shawn's table, but Dirk kept trying to take over.

Really, any of the restaurants are OK for solos

One of my favorite things about going solo is that I get to eat wherever I want to. I don't have a preference about counter service/sit-down meals and find myself to busy to bother with character meals, though I wouldn't hesitate to do one if they fit in my schedule. My fav sit-down is Sci-Fi Dine In. Even saw one woman dining solo at Prime Time and she seemed like she was having a good time. My fav counter service is a toss up between Cosmic Rays and grabbin something at Casey's and heading outside to people watch.

One sit-down meal that I didn't enjoy was the Alfredos in Italy. I went early cause I didn't want to wait and that was a mistake. They acted like they didn't know what to do with a solo person and since it wasn't busy, I couldn't blend into the scenery and I felt like I was sitting in a fish bowl with all the servers lined up against the wall staring at me. Other than that, I say, at least try the places you don't get to go to.

In February on my first solo trip I had several great sit-down dining experiences at places that I always wanted to try but could never convince anyone else to go to! hehe My stops included:
* San Angel Inn in Epcot, the scenery & market hustle-bustle were good for
people watching.
* Le Cellier in Epcot, a must stop because I love the Cheese soup and pretzel
bread.
* Rainforest Cafe at DTD, this was my first night and first solo dining. The
place was very crowded and I made no PS, but was seated in 20min. I
was seated right up against one of the fishtanks and it was eye catching,
also my server was very attentive. Made me brave for the rest of the week
* Tony's at MK. Such a fun atmosphere.
* Bongo's at DTD, excellent food and very attentive servers.

I am currently trying to decide on a few new adventurous sites for my next trip so I am very glad to see this thread!

Mike

Just got back from from solo trip - and have eaten solo many times at WDW. I also travel on business enough and have actually gotten brave enough to dine out alone without bringing a book :smooth:

Calif. Grill - ask for seat at counter in front of kitchen - the chefs come talk with you, it was great.

Hollywood Brown Derby - had a seat in a back corner, overlooking the "main floor" which was perfect for relaxing and people watching over dinner

I think the experience at Alfredo's depends very much on who is there and how busy they are. I ate there alone for an early lunch, and the wait staff made it a wonderful experience - kept dropping by to chat - it was very nice, didn't even realize I had eaten alone.

Concourse Steak House (in Contemporary next to Chef Mickey's) , Yacht Club Galley and Yachtsman Steak Houses were good food - although at both places the seating was in the corner. Of the three I think for the steak - Yachtsman was the best. For the total meal Concourse Steak House had better salad and veggies (was also a little cheaper)

Rose & Crown was the only place that I've been at recently where I felt that the table was not great - right in front of the door to restaurant and behind the pub.

Flying Fish - ate at the bar which was good (full menu available) - I think I had made priority seating ressie but that was where they put me.

Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge) - eaten here alone several times, each time, have been seated near windows with view of Bay Lake and never felt odd.

I picked all the places that my friends don't often go and had a blast. I do sometimes bring postcards to write during meal or play with the kids menu.

I love the buffet Clambake at the Cape May Cafe at Beach Club Resort. Buffets are great because you never have to just sit and wait. I dine early and walk to Epcot for Illuminations. The Epcot transportation then takes you back to any Disney Resort. Also, you can color on the tablecloth with crayons there, even if you are a grownup. :goodvibes

The buffet at Animal Kingdom Lodge is another place I have dined. Make reservations and arrive there after spending the day at Animal Kingdom. Once I spent the afternoon at a waterpark, threw a muumuu over my swimsuit and took the resort bus to dinner there. I then took the Downtown Disney bus and walked off my dinner shopping before returning to my Resort.

The Biergarten at Epcot, Germany is another fun buffet. All of the tables seat about 8 to 12 and everyone is seated with strangers. :jumping1:

My favorite places to eat as a solo have been Hollywood Brown Derby, Chefs de France, and Tony's Town Square (back when they did regular breakfasts). The first two always seem quieter and like serene little islands of calm. Tony's just had great food and an awesome waitress who spent a lot of time talking to me.

There were only a few times that I have ever felt uncomfortable as a solo diner. The first is dinner at Cantina de San Angel. If you're uncomfortable with people watching you eat alone, the table vultures there will drive you insane. I ate quickly to rush out of there and didn't enjoy that meal at all. The second was the tea at the Gardenview Lounge at the Grand Floridian. Best example of me enjoying a great meal with great service, but allowing the fact that it was an event best shared with a pal to lessen my overall enjoyment. (I'll keep taking tea there, though. It's too good to let mere hangups stand in my way.) The third was Spoodles for breakfast. It was back in 1999, and it's the only time anywhere at WDW when I have ever felt like I was treated like a second-class citizen because I was alone.

One place that has not been mentioned is Concourse Steakhouse at Contemporary. Its very good for a solo. You get to be in the middle of everything but don't feel too uncomfortable. The servers were great to me when I went and being able to see the monorail go by added to the atmosphere. I went for a walk around this hotel and found it very interesting. I really enjoyed the dinner also, the steak was wonderful! HTH. Have a good time. :cool1:

I'm going solo 11 days from now.. I am not a big eater AT ALL, so I think my one actual "meal" of the day will be counter service.. Hopefully I can find some nice, quiet, out-of-the-way places to sit where I can enjoy it and not feel awkward about being alone.. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter