Where do you vacation when you are not going to WDW?

Sandra, this thread is fun to read...

We live near Boston. If we don't go to WDW (we like WDW in May, January or November), we will take our vacations in summer. We head to either Cape Cod, Massachusetts; Old Orchard Beach in Maine; or North Conway in New Hampshire. These are the regulars.

We've been to Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Aruba, Bahamas, Key West, London and Italy.

As I child my family once vacationed for 2 weeks in Canada starting at Niagara Falls, then Toronto Ontario, Ottawa and ending in Montreal. Canada is so beautiful!! In fact, the movie at the Canada pavilion in Epcot (even though it's somewhat old and I've seen it many times) makes me cry every time.

Perhaps next year we want to try Lake George in upstate New York or Myrtle Beach. :D :) :D

Have a great vacation!!

If you go to Wisconsin Dells, don't miss Noah's Ark Water Park-not as pretty as Typhoon Lagoon but more slides-lots of fun!!

We like to drive out west to Colorado and Wyoming. Rocky Mountain National Park, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are awesome and at about $15 for an annual pass(per carload) you can't beat the price. Take the kids hiking in the mountains or go wildlife watching. Much different than Disney.

Yellowstone and Montana....That is what you could
call God's country.....Beautiful!!!!!

Who would want to vacation anywhere but WDW?!?!:p

We have been to California twice(Disneyland, so I guess that really doesn't count:( )

We just joined DVC and are planning on going to Hilton Head Island in March(That may not count eaither, since it is Disney owned);)

We just returned from a NON-DISNEY vacation and let me tell you it is tough to digest after WDW. We went because DH loves Elvis and I love DH. We did a car trip through Tennesee and out to Memphis.The goal was Graceland. We stayed in three different hotels and took in lots of attractions. We did have a good time and lots of family time but the problem was I compaired everything to Disney. Two of the hotels we stayed at would compare to WDW moderates and one to perhaps a deluxe. All however cost more than my AAA rate I can get on the All Stars and we were no happier in any of these rooms.We were in major cities but found food cost to be just as high as WDW and the food not as good. Many places did not have the wonderful kids menus WDW has and several meals my picky DS ate nothing but chips or crackers. We only had two outstanding meals all week and one of thoses was at a rain forest cafe. Hotel transportation was a joke and I refused to use it(we never move our car at WDW).The worst part was I had no idea how to budget for this trip.While it did cost less than WDW, I can budget WDW almost to the dollar. No such luck this trip.
Yes, we will take other non WDW vacations. I do love DH and we do agree that kids need to see other parts of our country.Every trip however will make me even more thankfull when we are at WDW. Go on ,take a non- WDW vacation. It makes WDW even better.

Jordan's mom

What, you mean there are other vacation destinations besides WDW? My husband keeps telling me that, but I really don't believe him!!!;)

I have to support the people suggesting Cedar Point. My kids 13, 13 & 6 love going there. My DD & DH are big roller coaster fans and there is no other park around that compares to Cedar Point for coaster riding in their eyes.
Because of where we live we often times are able to just make a day trip instead of sleeping over.
The Camp Snoopy section of the park kept my youngest busy on our last trip. He is hoping he has grown to be tall enough for some other rides this year. :Pinkbounc

I think Cedar Point is on the top of the list in a couple years! S

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, I would highly recommend the Outer Banks. We rented a house in Pine Island. The house was expensive, but slept 16 so we split the cost with others. There are also smaller homes and a suite resort available. I was concered that my family would be bored thinking that there is not much to do. We really only vacation at WDW. Wow, was I wrong. There may not be tons to do, but that is the point. It was the most relaxing vacation I ever had. The beaches were beautiful, and there were no crowds. Our house was on the beach with a pool, so we basically spent the whole week in our bathing suits. We came home feeling like a new family. Next to WDW (which we still visit atleast once a year), I would say the Outer Banks are great!

My husband and I loved Grand Cayman although we have never been there with the kids. Hawaii is also a great, a wonderful experience for people of all ages. I have seen some very reasonable rates on packages.

We cruise but without the kids. With the kids we head to Disney or short trips to Wisconsin Dells, in-law's cabin in Crosslake, MN or NASA in Houston (we moved). We want to take the kids on a cruise, but it's Disney time again.

Williamsburg VA. We enjoy the historic district, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA, as well as James Town and my DH likes the Yorktown Battle Fields---men:rolleyes:

Every year my DH and i say that we are going on a vacation for just the 2 of us. A nice romantic spot were we can sit on the beach and sip on a margarita (DH -beer). And just relax. But that thought last for as long as it took me to write it. We do this in Disney for about a 1/2 a day and that's all we can take. We are not lounging type people. We just love WDW because you can have romance and relaxation buyt you can also do everything else you want too! Where else could you possibly go on vacation and do all of that besides WDW? But we do go on little mini vacations for 3-5 days. We go to The Great Escape or Darian Lake which are amusment parks not more than 6 hours from our home. We also go camping for the weekends or stay on the boat. We do go to Vermont and visit relatives and that feels like a vacation just because VT is so beautiful and it's only a 4 hour drive.

We either go camping or stay at a hotel on Mt. Desert Island (home of Acadia National Park). I adore this place, and it is only 2 hours from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter