Where do you vacation when you are not going to WDW?

We did San Antonio one non-dis. year and plan to do San Diego this upcoming year (with kids). DH and I did 15th anniversary trip alone to Charleston, SC. one year. For closer to home trips we have done Toronto (LionKing:) ), Lake Michigan, Kings Island. And we do July 4 week every year in Maine with my in-laws!

VICB! Tell me all about Paramount King's Island please! We are going there in July for a vacation. Where did you stay? What is King's Island like? THX S

Hi SandraC,

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express-Kings Island. Nothing great but very close to park and had a free shuttle if you wanted to avoid parking costs. We enjoyed our visit to Kings Island but made some mistakes. We went the weekend before Memorial Day last year so the park was still only open weekends. The pool at the hotel was not yet open even though it was warm enough to swim (oh well you won't have that problem in July). We drove down on Sat. and had planned to get an after 5 admission and stay until the 10:00 fireworks show. It had rained all afternoon so at 5 the park got really busy since the rain stopped. We had really long waits for everything (even 1 hour for kiddie coasters!) We stayed mostly in kiddie area that evening and watched fireworks (very nice). Sunday morning we were there for rope drop and got to ride lots of coasters with little or no wait at all (DH and DD rode Beast 3 times with no wait). Park did not fill up until around noon. We saw Scooby show and Nick show both really good. Got to ride everything we wanted to. Kids had a blast in Nick Splash area (actual water park area not opened yet) were glad we brought their suits and small towels in a back pack. We went up the Eifel tower which was neat to overlook the whole park and had dinner by the musical fountains. PKI is not WDW but it is a nice theme park and worth the visit. Hope this helps have a fun time!:D

Thanks VICB! We live near Toronto. Our last 5 WDW trips were flying trips. We are considering driving the next time (March 2005 ~ maybe 2004). Toronto to King's Island is about 8.5 hours plus stops and border time ~ so I'm thinking 10-11 hours really. Our WDW drive would be about 23 hours. I'm looking at King's Island trip to be the "HALF WAY TEST DRIVE TO WDW". We also have season's passes to the Paramount parks, so the admission is free. I booked a hotel with am indoor pool and free breakky 4 miles from the park ~ I haven't read ANY reviews on this hotel YIKES! I only talked to the guy at the front desk on the phone and he seems nice. The hotel was built in 1998 (or 1996???) so hoping it's nice. My kids are 2 and 6 and the Beast is a MUST! We will spend 2 or 3 parks days with a little trip into Kentucky one afternoon. We are looking forward to this trip and ANY info on PKI would be great! THANKS! S

SandraC, PKI has a pretty good website so be sure to check that out.

I would have to say that Newport RI is my other fav. Great views, great food, and lots to do! I just love it there!

Sandra,

Ever been to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio? You could save some time and IMHO it is a *much* better park than Kings Island. I have been to both but Cedar Point puts Kings Island to shame. I always feel like I'm in more of a vacation town when I'm in Sandusky too. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on Ohio amusement parks. :)

dh and I saw a one hour tv special on Cedar Point and it looks AMAZING! Definately on our TO DO LIST! This summers trip to Kings Island it is utilize our season's passes and do a VERY long drive to see how we fair. We will go to Cedar Point in the future ~ it looks GREAT! S

I have enjoyed reading about all of your vacation desitinations, and even obtained some great ideas for future vacations. Thanks to all of you! We usually take 3-4 one week vacations every year. We always travel to Palm Springs, Ca in March. In summer we usually take a week to visit a place within reasonable driving distance from where we live (Minneapolis/St Paul area)...we like Door County, WI, and the Boundary Waters, MN areas especially. This summer, however we will travel to San Francisco. We also like to take a vacation at the beginning of Dec, or at the end of Jan, and then it is usually a cruise or WDW. Sometimes we manage to squeeze in another week somewhere, if we're lucky. Personally, I could spend ALL of my time on vacation, but sadly I need to work for a living!!

I live for vacations! My PT job pays for vacations. I'm at a point in my life where vacations are a priority! I don't think I'll be one of the ones on my death bed saying, "I wish I spent more time at the office." S

We are planning an end of summer trip to Wisconsin Dells, which is about a three hour drive from the Chicagoland area.

Just returned from cedar point in Ohio. We like to travel from Michigan to Disney in the spring and Cedar Point in the summer.

Where do you stay when you go to Cedar Point? S

We stayed at the Breaker Express this year. It was a nice hotel and close to the park. Last year we stayed at the Breakers.

Every year we spend a week at the beach in Rhode Island with my entire family.....2 brothers, sister, parents, plus spouses and kids...19 of us all together. It's what we call our *relaxing* vacation, where we feel obligated to do NOTHING other than kick back and enjoy the sun and sand! We also do an annual trip to Block Island (RI)...what a fabulous place to visit!

We just returned today from a quick trip to Southern Vermont....another beautiful place to go.

We took a trip to Mexico to an all=inclusive with our kids. It was awesome! So relaxing.
We of course could have done WDW for twice the time at half the cost but it was a time we'll never forget!
I recommend it.

My favorite place other than WDW is Rehoboth Beach. It's quiet and great for families with small children....nice little rides, clean beach, etc. Over the years the town has become a bit trendy, but its also still like its always been for the last 30 years in some ways!

Of course, we cancelled our July 4th trip to the beach in favor of WDW. We have AP's which made WDW cheaper! I'll admit, Rehoboth can be expensive as far as rooms....but otherwise its much more affordable than other boardwalks!

I live Chattanooga come by see me a IMAX and TN Aqurum. If have any ? about Chattanooga. I work at two tourist attactions. PM me I will be happy to answer your ?

When i can't get WDW world. I hit Six Flags over Geogia and White Water. I ususally get season pass to both.

This year my work did a ticket exchange so with Dollywood and Paramount Carowinds in Charlotte North Carolina. So if any have inforamtion on how the park is let know. I have few replies so far. Where to stay at close to park. Since it's a six hour drive there.

I love to go back "home" to San Antonio & the surrounding area in Texas. I also really want to go visit the Southwest & California.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter