When your child becomes ill

Just for kicks ask everyone how they're feeling a few days before you are scheduled to leave. Just a few hours before we were supposed to leave for our Disney wedding/honeymoon cruise trip DH had a toothache..a really bad toothache...a howling and crying in pain toothache...turns out that he had broken a molar a couple weeks prior(didn't say a word about it..figured that keeping it clean would save him a trip to the dentist) and it had become infected. His dentist had retired without notice and no one would see him on a Friday evening...fun fun fun...called the emergency room and they stated that they couldn't do much to help a tooth and to try to get in somewhere on Saturday morning(ughhh..) at this point any dentist that had spoken to us told us that he needed an oral surgeon for a molar. DH then decided to travel with the pain....I bought a tooth repair kit to at least seal out the air and put my in-laws(living in FL) in charge of locating a dentist in FL who could help DH once we got there. We went to some cheezy looking place on international drive, had x-rays done and were told that he couldn't pull the tooth but could at least prescribe antibiotics for the infection...the X-Rays cost $175 and he did feel better once they kicked in....but even after we returned home it took forever for him to go to the dentist...I had to find one and drag him there myself.
As posted before... call your insurance company before hand to see exactly what is and what is not covered while you are out of network...if you have one... bring an emergency credit card with a large available balance. But make sure you use in only in case of emergency and keep it in a safe place. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR INSURANCE CARD WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

I think it's bad karma that just makes those bugs kick in before trips. DH, DS & I all have colds- came down over the weekend. See my countdown clock-- it's fate maybe(???)

In addition, I have been having achy pains in my lower right part of my abdomen. First thing I thought, was my appendix. So I spoke w/ my doctor. She told me it was unlikely. I've had them for 9 days and they aren't severe, and I've never had a fever. Hoenstly, they think they are ovarian cysts. But there is no time to have them checked out here now. So I will keep assuming in the back of my head it's appedicitis until they stop (I admit I'm part hypochondriac). I doubted my MD so much I asked a friend who was is a Nurse Practitioner about them. She echoed the same thing my MD said. I'm hoping that the magic of Disney will lay on thick so I can stop concentrating on everything thats wrong. Now that I think about it, my back hurts too-- :(

On our last trip our 3-year-old daughter hit her head on a railing at the bus stop at MK got a huge gash in her forehead. (It looked like a scene from Psycho -- head wounds sure do bleed a lot!!) I can't say enough good things about everyone we came into contact with -- the bus driver who was happening by and saw my white t-shirt covered with blood as I picked her up, the first CM on the scene, the paramedics...everyone was so calm and professional and sympathetic.
We went to Celebration Hospital for stitches -- we tried Centra Care first and they were mobbed. We then went to Celebration and had a very positive experience.
It stinks if it happens that you need medical care while on vacation, but the treatment we got was first-rate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter