When your child becomes ill

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
We have two girls. When we go to Disney in Sept they will be 6 and 13 months. This will be my 6yr olds 4th time at WDW and thank goodness we have never had an illness. This is my 13 month olds 1st time at WDW and unfortunatly she is always sick with something from ear infections to RSV and I could go on and on (we are frequent flyers at our Pediatricians office).

When we go to WDW in Sept I am going to take our 13 month old out of daycare the week before we leave so she hopefully doesn't catch anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if she became sick while we were there.

Has anybody spent their vacation with a sick child and have you needed any medical attention during your stay? I would love to hear about it so I can be prepared.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

Hi

When my family and I were there in May 2002 my DS 2 at the time ended up having a 104 temp and we had to take him to the ER. Unfortunately, we are from MA and have Tufts health plan and Tufts would not pay for the clinics that they have at the World. I also had 2 other children with me my DD 9 and DS 7 at the time. My husband took him to the ER and he ended up having pneumonia!! Well, my DH spent most of the time with him in the hotel room while myself and DD and DS went on our way.
By the end of the trip he was a little better and we took him to MK for the day. Well, good luck to you. Hopefully everything will be o.k. for you.

"Way back when" my oldest son was 1 (he's 14 now), my ex and I had been looking forward to a long-awaited vacation. My son was prone to constant ear infections, so I voiced my concern to his ped. His doctor precribed him "low-dose, maintenance antibiotics" for the trip, and he didn't get sick. I know this was a some-what common practice back then, I don't know if doctors still do it now or not, because they are afraid that one will become less resistant to antibiotics. It might be something to ask your Doc tho.

Our DD then 5, got the stomach flu the second night we were there. She woke up at 1:00 in the morning getting sick. We didn't have to take her to the doctor, but housekeeping did pay us a few visits during the night with new sheets. Anyway, it was just a 24 hour thing because by the next night she was ready to go and we went and saw Spectro at MK and did a few rides we had missed. We thought maybe it was something she had eaten, but the rest of us got it also throughout the next 5 days (at least we were home by then though).

We have made several trips to the Sand Lake Hospital ER (across I-4 from Sea World). I would recommend going there before going to one of the "walk-in clinics" around WDW. They are more likely to take your health insurance and usually will file your insurance and then bill you for the balance. We have always gotten top notch service there!

When I was pregnant with my youngest DD we were staying at the AS-Sports and I was sick as a dog. The housekeeping attendant for our room was so sweet and kept checking on me during the day while DH was out with my other DD. She brought me extra towels and sheets and even got a soda for me at one point. She was so sweet and I remember her telling me that I was having a boy because of the way I was carrying. Obviously she was wrong because youngest DD just turned 5. :D

On our trip in Dec of 2003, my dad and I drove down a few days before my wife and 2 kids flew down on Friday. My wife calls me Thursday evening that she brought my daughter to the Dr.s and she had Pneumonia. They flew out Friday night out of Providence and were delayed for 2 hours, most of the time sitting on the plane since it was major snow conditions. She got sick on the plane on the way down, and once at Orlando, she got sick on the monorail from the landing area to the terminal. We did not get back to the hotel until about 11:45 adn I had laundry to do.

She was OK through the trip, just had to take it easy.

Good luck

When DS was 7, he was having a tough time with Strep Throat coming on very quickly. As we drove to WDW, a cough seemed to come out of nowhere, which we usually indicated the strep. When we arrived at WL, we inquired about medical facilities, and they told us of a service which sent a doctor to your hotel. We called the service, ordered room service for lunch, and waited comfortably for the doctor, who showed-up very quickly. He prescribed an antibiotic, which was also delivered to the hotel. It was great.

Originally posted by tolookaa
he ended up having pneumonia!!

My son also a few years ago wound up with pneumonia. We flew down with what we thought was just a minor chest cold. No fever no real complications. The following day he woke up with a high fever and a very deep and disturbing cough.

We utilized that Centra Care facility (I think that's the name) that's advertised in the rooms. They picked us up and while we drove there you filled out the forms. Now I didn't realize at the time that my insurance would have PAID for the visit, so I paid cash. I eventually was reimbursed. But let me tell you; they gave him a good going over including xrays. But his case was "mild" just developing. So antibiotics were prescribed along with a day or so of rest at the resort. The dr. suggested taking it easy in the parks, no swimming but said he didn't feel the need for us to return to NY. Oh and the van also brought us back to our resort.

I've found the front desk to be very helpful. Disney has all sorts of options lined up and available, as some people have already described. Perhaps you'd feel better checking this out when you first arrive.

I had a dental semi-emergency a few years ago (it wasn't really, but I didn't know that at first). The Swan gave me the # of the dentist on call, and he contacted me in 20 minutes and gave me very practical information and options.

It's nice to know there are so many wonderful options once there. While we all hope (& pray) that nothing happens and we all remain healthy, it's good to be reassured if thats not the case.

Here is the information on a Pediatric After Hours Clinic:

12535 State Road 535
Orlando, FL 32836
407-827-7113

There is also an emergency room in Celebration but I have not heard good things about it.

We also used Centra Care, near Crossroads. DD had croup, actually had it before we left and it get much worse there. They prescribed a steroid for her that did wonders. But our insurance would not pay for the visit but they did reimburse a portion of the prescription. They fill the prescriptions right there, by the way.

If you have a child who is prone to getting the same sort of bug repeatedly, and your Dr. is often willing to phone in meds for it, that also works when you are out of town. Get the number of the nearest Walgreens, and your doctor can phone the Rx directly to that store.

I can second the opinion of going to Sand Lake Hospital if you need an ER. Our 2 year old came down with food poisoning and eventually was taken by ambulance to Sand Lake. He received top notch care and they took our insurance without a problem.

There was a time when EVERY time we went to WDW someone in our family got sick! When DD was 15 months we had to take her to Celebration Hospital where she was diagnosed with a double ear infection - we were able to get medicine. Another trip DH got some nasty bug and we had a dr. come to our room at the Yacht club - got medicine. In November DD (then 4) had a TICK in her head (something we brought from home we guessed) and we went to Centra Care to have it removed.

Sure hope that nothing happens on your trip, but do know that there are options available for help.

Jill

I can't thank everybody enough for their stories and suggestions on where to go and what to do. Even though I don't know anybody here I feel as if I have a bunch of friends. :)

Thanks again!!:wave:

Originally posted by JESW
There was a time when EVERY time we went to WDW someone in our family got sick! When DD was 15 months we had to take her to Celebration Hospital where she was diagnosed with a double ear infection - we were able to get medicine. Another trip DH got some nasty bug and we had a dr. come to our room at the Yacht club - got medicine. In November DD (then 4) had a TICK in her head (something we brought from home we guessed) and we went to Centra Care to have it removed.

Sure hope that nothing happens on your trip, but do know that there are options available for help.

Jill

OMG!! This is our family all over! It has happened to us 5 times, but that is out of 27 trips, but still! It seems like it only happens at WDW.

We have used the Doctors that come to your room twice, and they were great. This was for cold and fever type symtoms and also stomach flu.
They were great BTW, and not all that expensive...under $200.00. Well worth it to stay in they comfort of your own room.

DH went to the walk in Centa Care clinic for poison ivy. He said that experience was ok. Took pretty long time, and was about $150.00 including medication.

This past Dec., we had to take our DS to the ER at Celebration Hospital. He had a temp of 105, and was very dehydrated. Wound up staying 10 hours while he got IV fluids and antibiotics for bronchitis. They were great there, and we would not hesitate to go there again,( though I REALLY hope we don't have to)!
DH is self- employed, and we didn't have medical insurance at the time, (do now though):D , so we had to pay right then about $2,000.

With little ones it seems like illnesses come on so quick. I wish you lots of luck, and I'll say a little prayer for a safe a healthy trip for you.

When we were at AK a year and a half ago, my teenage son got very lightheaded, fainted and hit his head on concrete on the way down. He was taken to the Celebration hospital. Fortunately he was was okay, but we spent ALL day there. One of the coolest rooms I have ever seen was in the Xray room at the hospital. They have it set up like a beach, with palm trees, faux painted walls to look like the ocean and they pump in some kind of coconut smell in the air. It was awesome. It really took the stress out of the situation.

One of the managers at AK gave everyone in our party free tickets to use another time, which was wonderful.

For peace of mind when we go on vacation I check with my insurance company to see where I can go in case of an emergency. I check for both a walk in clinic and hospital.

Some insurance companies have information available online, but I also double checked with them on the phone. Well worth the 10 minute phone call so you know where to go.

I was nervous our trip in December which was at the height of the flu frenzie and we didn't get vaccinated this year. Thank goodness we came back only with the cold DD had when we left, she just passed it on to me and younger DD.

Wishing you lots of pixie dust for a healthy trip!

I'm not a kid, but I was very sick for most of the time we were at WDW in January. The front desk at the Marriott World Center gave me a brochure when I finally decided to see a doctor. One of the options was EastCoast Medical Network. We called and a very nice doctor came to our room within about an hour and brought prescription drugs with him, even codine for my cough. It was not inexpensive, but sure beat sitting in a waiting room for what would have been two or three hours and then waiting for prescritptions to be filled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter