• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When will WDW and DL/CA shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And honestly how is that any of my or your concern. I loved paycheck to paycheck in my youth to have a rainy day fund.

Saving lives trumps everything.

If you want to save lives then we should stop driving as well.

You're not saving any lives by shutting down theme parks.

If you're concerned then stay home, grow your own food, refuse any type of package/mail, and use that rainy day fund for the next year.

And honestly how is that any of my or your concern. I loved paycheck to paycheck in my youth to have a rainy day fund.

No one is going to die because Disney parks stay open. We have this thing called FREE WILL. If you're so worried about it stay home.

Are you crusading for Universal to close, too? Six Flags? Dollywood? Busch Gardens?

Yes it would prevent it from happening by community isolation. This is the way you stop community spread. How you can equate money to a life is unreal to me. Yes sacrifices will have to be made or they will be forced.

Sigh. I did not equate money to a life in that response, but hey, I'm game: how much money is my life worth? Gotta tell you, I don't think it's worth $3B, which is what the Central Florida economy stands to lose. That $6M or so in tax revenue a few week shutdown of Disney would cost? I'm not worth that, either. Do you know how much public health preparedness, how many virus tests, how much emergency pay for 1st responders the state could pay for with that money? Here's MY bottom line: if my dying can save 100 children from homelessness, then go ahead and shoot. (And if all you are doing is sneezing on me, then I've got zero to complain about. I've got a much better chance of surviving that.)

Here's where the work of governing requires grown-up pants: there will ALWAYS be a time when those in charge have to make an economic choice between the CHANCE of the death of one person and the quality of life of many thousands more. It's hard as hell to have to make that choice, but when you're in charge of a government or a major company, you have to be willing to do it. Sucks, but life isn't fair.

WDW is not just an entertainment complex; it is a HUGE economic engine, and without the pay and benefits it provides, many thousands of people will suffer greatly. That would not be chance, but a guarantee.

(And yeah, I know what's going on with this thread, but I like the intellectual exercise.)

Last edited:

My workplace is having a nation-wide telecommuting day on Friday. It's not mandatory, but all employees are "strongly encouraged" to work from home on Friday to test out the vpn and internet capabilities and do a stress test on the remote-work infrastructure.

This is well over 100,000 people. We got the email yesterday afternoon and it definitely made everyone take this a little more seriously.

Very smart of your company to try it now to work out any kinks, just in case.

Just because YOU were able to live paycheck to paycheck and have a rainy day fund doesn't mean others can. A great deal of people flat out don't have anything saved. It becomes EVERYONE'S concern when it comes to forcibly preventing people from making money as that eventually impacts everyone.

When people have zero income coming in and can no longer afford their health insurance, they may avoid seeing the doctor when they are sick. You'll have people who can't afford hand sanitizer and soap, who then have a greater propensity for getting ill. Then you potentially have people not getting tested and treated and then spreading their illness since they don't know it's something they need to be quarantined for (coronavirus or other communicable sickness)= more people getting sick. You'll have people who can no longer afford needed meds or food who potentially die as a result. Those who are able to will hoard even more if businesses shut down, making it so others won't be able to get things they need. Some may resort to criminal behavior to try to get some money or aquire things they need. If people can't afford to pay their rent due to forced business closures, some people may end up homeless, which increases the chance of any number of bad things happening to them, as well as increases their chances of getting sick and not being quarantined. Since they are out on the streets, a lot more people become exposed.

All of that can contribute to the spread of illness. Plus the fact that the state would be losing out on millions in revenue making it harder to fund treatments and hospitals, just perpetuating the situation. Then when the virus eventually does settle down, the state is left trying to pick up the pieces of a very broken society with more people requiring aid and assistance. That again puts a burden on everyone. Forced business closures is not a simple cure all. There are so many ramifications that must be considered.

Yes it would prevent it from happening by community isolation. This is the way you stop community spread. How you can equate money to a life is unreal to me. Yes sacrifices will have to be made or they will be forced.

Yes but this is a post about WDW and DL. I think the draconian measures China put in place helped slow the spread of the virus. Only allowing one person out every 2-3 days. Wearing masks in public providing sanitizers.

It worked and needs to be done here but we lack the same resolve and containment will be so much harder until forced!

You do realize that the US is much bigger than WDW right?
Do you propose we close everything, and force all people all over the country to stay indoors for 2 weeks, a month?

You do realize that the US is much bigger than WDW right?
Do you propose we close everything, and force all people all over the country to stay indoors for 2 weeks, a month?

Looks like folks are staying indoors in WA. I think folks are self quarantining themselves.

Looks like folks are staying indoors in WA. I think folks are self quarantining themselves.

Why did you quote me if you weren't going to say answer my question or say anything relevant to what I asked you? Please don't do it again, I don't have time to waste on alerts for nothing.

When nation's can do it like China, Japan, Italy and South Korea all ending gatherings of over 5,000 people, we can do it here. Either WDW and DL/CA will be forced to or they will have so few workers and visitors they will HAVE to. It is quite clear as the study stated that people do not have the fortitude to take the tough draconian steps that will be necessary to stop the spread of this killer virus.

When the true numbers of infected are released, people will Panic and going to WDW/DL will be the least of their concerns.

When nation's can do it like China, Japan, Italy and South Korea all ending gatherings of over 5,000 people, we can do it here. Either WDW and DL/CA will be forced to or they will have so few workers and visitors they will HAVE to. It is quite clear as the study stated that people do not have the fortitude to take the tough draconian steps that will be necessary to stop the spread of this killer virus.

When the true numbers of infected are released, people will Panic and going to WDW/DL will be the least of their concerns.

So why are YOU so concerned about WDW and DL closing then??? :confused3

Not sure why OP is so gleeful and wanting the parka shut down? They aren’t even doing screenings at airports of in country flights. So how would closing the parks help here? Case in point- my oldest spent five days in Seattle this past week- you know- where the cluster of cases:fatalities have happened in this country. No screening before she boarded plane home to Missouri, It’s highly unlikely she came anywhere near anyone who has the virus considering where she was/doing but with gaps in the system who knows?
As far as “closing down WDW” do you propose closing warehouses? Fast food places and grocery stores? Interstate commerce?
Also- did you propose this at the start of Ebola? Start of swine flu? MERS or SARS? Start of EVERY flu season?
If not it’s pretty sad to be that petty and bitter to troll about a serious topic. Posters have been banned for less (asking simple questions in good faith) so trolling should definitely earn a ban!

We can speculate all we want as to if WDW will shut down or not. It all boils down to one thing- if Disney's risk weighted cost of staying open exceeds the cost of shutting down the parks, they will shut down the parks. It really is as simple as that. Said risk weighted cost will include potential litigation, as well as reduced revenue from bad PR, among other things, times the probability that said risks will occur (i.e.- the risk of a person infecting others on park grounds, it getting traced back to WDW, and WDW being sued successfully). Disney, like all corporations of size, has numerous people (people trained in risk assessment, lawyers, accountants, likely even insurance actuary types) looking at these numbers, and I'm sure they are working overtime these days.

With 221 officially confirmed infected individuals in the US, that risk is extremely low (and yes, I believe the number of infected is actually higher than that, but these are the numbers Disney has to go on). If those numbers move up into the tens of thousands, and the 2-3% mortality rate, and R0 of greater than 2 holds, I believe the prospect of shutting down the parks would be in play. If there are hundreds of thousands infected with the 2-3% mortality and R0 of 2+, then I would say it is likely they shut down the parks. (this is all based on some simple back-of-the-envelope risk calculations, and I'm sure I have over simplified/missed some things, so take this with a grain of salt). However, at this point those are a lot of "ifs."

Yes it would prevent it from happening by community isolation. This is the way you stop community spread. ...Yes sacrifices will have to be made or they will be forced.

I did remove one sentence from this post, but with the above, I totally agree - but these are things that would be initiated if our government, or WHO, were absolutely certain that the ends would justify the means. Right now it seems they don't have enough info on the virus(es - for the 2 new strains) to determine how severely the country is going to be hit. It would be reckless to make such changes without knowing that they would be absolutely necessary to save a very, very large number of people. An economy can't just "bounce back" from a hit like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter