When will WDW and DL/CA shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see how many governments are closing any other places where there are large gatherings? Look at what Japan has done with the upcoming Sakura festivals. You can see all of the closed places on the JNTO website.

you can also see what other democracies have done. It just makes total sense to close WDW and DL.

We are going to WDW April 12th...and there is no way we are cancelling this trip. I'm not too worried, but that is just me and my family's perspective. If you are scared, then don't go to WDW. But don't expect WDW to close the park because of fear, and nor should they. If things get to the point where flights are grounded that would change things, but I personally don't think WDW should close anything unless something like that happens. And would closing WDW really slow the spread of something that spreads like the cold/flu anyway? Really? No...so just put your mouse ears on and go ride the teacups!

Yes China deserves the world's thanks and praise for slowing down the spread of this virus. Comparisons to the flu are just ignorant as we have a vaccine for the flu.
Not to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure shutting down the park in China did zilch to slow down the spread of Coronavirus. It spreads like the flu. And quite honestly, experts are starting to say they really don't have a handle on how it even spreads because people are getting diagnosed that had no contact with anyone else who was diagnosed. They are thinking it could have been spreading for weeks in Washington State, but people were asymptomatic. Color me skeptical that shutting down a theme park is going to slow down the spread of a virus.

We have accurate numbers for the flu because it can be easily tested, and has so for years, unlike this new virus which has, so far, had tests that don't work. The numbers we have for coronavirus are significantly deflated as many deaths were logged as "pneumonia". Even in Florida. Drs. and even patients have to get permission from the Health Dept. to test for this new virus. Where in the country do you have that to test for flu? Nowhere. Any tending physician or NP quickly runs a flu test on the spot.
True, but experts are also saying the reported numbers of positive Coronavirus tests is extremely lower than the actual number of people with it. That is because so many people have it and are asymptomatic. So that 2-3% death rate would actually go way down into the area of less than 1% if we knew the exact number of people that have the virus. There are thousands of people walking around right now with Coronavirus and have no idea. We have a pretty accurate number on the deaths, but the inaccurate number of those infected is low which causes the death rate to be higher than it really is.

Do you see how many governments are closing any other places where there are large gatherings? Look at what Japan has done with the upcoming Sakura festivals. You can see all of the closed places on the JNTO website.

you can also see what other democracies have done. It just makes total sense to close WDW and DL.
No, it doesn't. Its a disproportionate reaction. This is not the zombie apocalypse. It's a respiratory virus that causes mild flu/ cold symptoms in the vast majority of those infected. We don't close everything for flu season every year. The parks didn't close for the H1N1 outbreak. it makes ZERO sense and would do little to stop the spread of infection.

As to comparisons to the flu being inaccurate, they are 100% valid. this virus is in the same family as flu, with a similar disease mechanism and mode of transmission. The fact that we have a vaccine for flu is largely irrelevant because in a bad year it can be less than 50% effective in preventing flu. This is just another in a growing list of flu like illnesses that world will freak out over and promptly forget once it is no longer getting the news stations ratings.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure shutting down the park in China did zilch to slow down the spread of Coronavirus. It spreads like the flu. And quite honestly, experts are starting to say they really don't have a handle on how it even spreads because people are getting diagnosed that had no contact with anyone else who was diagnosed. They are thinking it could have been spreading for weeks in Washington State, but people were asymptomatic. Color me skeptical that shutting down a theme park is going to slow down the spread of a virus.

Asymptomatic for some, and hiding in plain sight for others. I've read that they think it has been spreading while being mistaken for other viral illnesses, like flu and the common cold. My own family is a good example of that - we travelled from Michigan to California and back in January. That took us through 5 major airports, because we had layovers in both directions, to the Dlisneyland parks, and to an event that drew thousands of people in San Francisco, not to mention just sightseeing, dining and taking public transit in two major cities that draw high numbers of international visitors... plenty of places where we could have unknowingly come in contact with someone who had been in the affected parts of China. After coming home, DD11 and I were sick with something flu-like. We both had fever and coughing, hers just lasting a couple of days, mine worse with shortness of breath/tightness in my chest that persisted for well over a week and a cough that hung on even longer. In our case, it was almost certainly flu - we both had our shot this year, but that's not foolproof and several girls on DD's basketball team had confirmed cases. But it could just as easily have been coronavirus and no one would ever know unless it spread to a vulnerable enough segment of the population that triggered testing. That seems to be the current thinking about community spread in Washington - that people getting sick with a flu-like illness during flu season had no reason to think it was anything other than flu, so mild cases were likely spreading long before the first serious cases were identified and authorities started looking for a source.

Asymptomatic for some, and hiding in plain sight for others.
This! Its March which is the start of spring allergy season even in Colorado where its winter til June. I regularly suffer from respiratory issues upto and including pretty fierce bronchitis. Since it is not generally contagious I get meds for the cough and antibiotics of the crud in my lungs gets too bad but I keep living life. It is unreasonable to expect people to self quarantine for every little sniffle and cough that could easily be something else unless they are getting tested and proven to have COVID19. Because of that the asymptomatic carriers are going to be a huge factor. That's how it has spread so rapidly and probably how it went into the nursing home in Washington State. Eventually we will arrive at viewing this like influenza-granted it seems to have a higher fatality rate-but there is also huge underreporting. In time things will normalize. The OP of this thread seems to have some issues with obsessiveness and buying into conspiracy since most of his ranting is based on one highly inaccurate model and a genuine desire to see people freak out. The fact that the majority of us refuse to do that seems to annoy him.

Talk about affecting an entire industry:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-travelers-from-cruises-sources-idUSKBN20T29M
I do imagine WDW and DL will be next on the list. Some of you can sit in denial, but this is what will be best to stop the spread of this deadly virus. It has affected my ability to earn an income as well with curbs on my international travels, but I know it is for the best.
IF you read the article, it says that this is a potential idea. Nothing is set in stone and to be honest with you I don't think it will happen. Do you feel that Universal and the other theme parks should close as well? Just checking because you have only mentioned WDW andDL.

There is such a huge contract between how China, Italy, South Korea is taking this and how people in the USA don't seem to think that such strict measures are worth the economic or social cost.

IF you read the article, it says that this is a potential idea. Nothing is set in stone and to be honest with you I don't think it will happen. Do you feel that Universal and the other theme parks should close as well? Just checking because you have only mentioned WDW andDL.
Not that it’s the same level, but Dollywood is still advertising its Festival of Nations March 14-April 20. No plans to close.

Talk about affecting an entire industry:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-travelers-from-cruises-sources-idUSKBN20T29M
I do imagine WDW and DL will be next on the list. Some of you can sit in denial, but this is what will be best to stop the spread of this deadly virus. It has affected my ability to earn an income as well with curbs on my international travels, but I know it is for the best.
Just curious, but did you read the article...or even the headline? Discouraging is not the same as closing or shutting down. The US can absolutely "discourage" citizens from taking cruises. And the US could even "discourage" citizens from going to WDW if the virus continues to spread (which it will). But discouraging people not to go is not the same as WDW being forced to close, which has been your claim/prediction throughout this thread. If you don't want to go to WDW, don't go. Pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter