When Will The Dining Plan Return?

And yet the world still goes on. Maybe we've just found a better way to do things?
For some things yes but as it pertains to Disney the food quality for much of it has gone down. Look at how many times the Dis makes comments about it. The biggest one is how bad the food is at most character meals. They know people will pay to see the characters anyways so why make the food good.

The reason I have been down on the food quality is how much better meals I have had off property for much less money.

For some things yes but as it pertains to Disney the food quality for much of it has gone down. Look at how many times the Dis makes comments about it. The biggest one is how bad the food is at most character meals. They know people will pay to see the characters anyways so why make the food good.

The reason I have been down on the food quality is how much better meals I have had off property for much less money.
You can find a lot of good food on property and I would argue that it has gotten better in the past 10 years. You can still find the generic burgers and chicken nuggets if you want to, but there is a lot of good food around. You're going to pay more since you're on property, but you're partially paying for the convenience of not having to hop in an Uber or rent a car to go off property and deal with that mess.

You can find a lot of good food on property and I would argue that it has gotten better in the past 10 years. You can still find the generic burgers and chicken nuggets if you want to, but there is a lot of good food around. You're going to pay more since you're on property, but you're partially paying for the convenience of not having to hop in an Uber or rent a car to go off property and deal with that mess.
See this I completely disagree with you. Yes you can still find a nice assortment of food on property, but the selection at each restaurant has decreased since the implementation of the DDP. Each restaurant is now down to 6-7 entrees and only 4-5 appetizers because of cost control due to the DDP. Gone are the days of multiple page menus. Yes, quality has, and always will be great, but the selection at each restaurant has definitely decreased.

See this I completely disagree with you. Yes you can still find a nice assortment of food on property, but the selection at each restaurant has decreased since the implementation of the DDP. Each restaurant is now down to 6-7 entrees and only 4-5 appetizers because of cost control due to the DDP. Gone are the days of multiple page menus. Yes, quality has, and always will be great, but the selection at each restaurant has definitely decreased.
The original comment was about food quality dropping at Disney World due to implementation of the DDP. That has not happened and I would argue that food quality has gone up recently. Yes, the menus aren't multiple pages, but that's not a bad thing. A smaller menu means that it is easier to make food well consistently.

Did food quality really drop because of the DDP or because they know people will pay the crazy prices for mediocre food? Did the menus shrink because there’s so many more people dining and they can’t keep up with such large menus. Like pp said, smaller menu means consistently better food. (Personally I hate big menus)

Even if the DDP went away I don’t see them raising the quality of food at buffets or character meals or pretty much anywhere. Those places would stay packed with or without the DDP. So why change anything.

Last edited:
Did food quality really drop because of the DDP or because they know people will pay the crazy prices for mediocre food? Did the menus shrink because there’s so many more people dining and they can’t keep up with such large menus. Like pp said, smaller menu means consistently better food. (Personally I hate big menus)

Even if the DDP went away I don’t see them raising the quality of food at buffets or character meals or pretty much anywhere. Those places would stay packed with or without the DDP. So why change anything.
That's the Disney way. Its not a good way to run a business. Its sad how much people just accept it.

Yes there is still some good food on property but a lot has gone down hill. Hollywood and Slime, Tony's, San Angel Inn, Yachtsmen, Be Our Guest, any of the Landry's restaurants, Cosmic Ray's.

Yes there is still some good food on property but a lot has gone down hill. Hollywood and Slime, Tony's, San Angel Inn, Yachtsmen, Be Our Guest, any of the Landry's restaurants, Cosmic Ray's.
Were any of those ever good? Maybe Be Our Guest when it initially opened. You might want to look at some reviews before you pick where to eat.

I always read these reports of the food going downhill and wonder where everyone is eating...

While not everything we eat is going to get "this was the greatest ever!" reviews, we do find we like almost everywhere we eat. I mean, if we pick a spot like Cosmic Ray's, we pretty much know we are getting theme park burgers or chicken nuggets. Nothing wrong with that, just don't go in expecting a gourmet experience.

Exceptional quick service at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. Great sit down at MK (Skipper Canteen, we really liked it) and we have had some great sit downs at World Showcase.

Great restaurants at various resorts and now soooo many good ones at Disney Springs.

It's not that hard to find good food at WDW.

(it feels good to have this kind of conversation again, doesn't it? :D )

I always read these reports of the food going downhill and wonder where everyone is eating...

While not everything we eat is going to get "this was the greatest ever!" reviews, we do find we like almost everywhere we eat. I mean, if we pick a spot like Cosmic Ray's, we pretty much know we are getting theme park burgers or chicken nuggets. Nothing wrong with that, just don't go in expecting a gourmet experience.

Exceptional quick service at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. Great sit down at MK (Skipper Canteen, we really liked it) and we have had some great sit downs at World Showcase.

Great restaurants at various resorts and now soooo many good ones at Disney Springs.

(it feels good to have this kind of conversation again, doesn't it? :D )

I am right there with you. I’ve never had a bad meal at Disney. We go in with the right expectations for where we’re eating. I mean some haven’t been the greatest meal I’ve ever had in my life but I’ve always had decent food. When you eat out 3 meals a day for 7-10 days you can’t expect every meal to be a 10.

Last trip we did HBD lounge 3 times, BOG lunch and dinner, POFQ food court, HDDR, YM, MM, Y&Y, Casey’s, CHH, Pinocchio’s, ESPN, Boardwalk kiosks and so much more. I went in with the right expectations on where we were eating. I wasn’t expecting the same quality from YM that I got at the boardwalk kiosk. But everything was consistently good.

I am right there with you. I’ve never had a bad meal at Disney. We go in with the right expectations for where we’re eating. I mean some haven’t been the greatest meal I’ve ever had in my life but I’ve always had decent food. When you eat out 3 meals a day for 7-10 days you can’t expect every meal to be a 10.

Last trip we did HBD lounge 3 times, BOG lunch and dinner, POFQ food court, HDDR, YM, MM, Y&Y, Casey’s, CHH, Pinocchio’s, ESPN, Boardwalk kiosks and so much more. I went in with the right expectations on where we were eating. I wasn’t expecting the same quality from YM that I got at the boardwalk kiosk. But everything was consistently good.

Oh yeah!

I forgot all the lounges! Now of course some aren't open due to Covid, but we loved Nomad lounge, we love Crew's Cup and I've read good things about the Ale & Compass lounge at Yacht Club.
I've also read great things about Three Rivers Bar and Grill at CSR, staying at GDT so I hope it's open and we can try it!

Were any of those ever good? Maybe Be Our Guest when it initially opened. You might want to look at some reviews before you pick where to eat.
Probably not. I always look at reviews for anywhere I eat when I'm on vacation.

Maybe not but for me it's more that I can find just as good food off property for a lot cheaper. Since I always have a car its not a problem to leave the bubble and find much better and cheaper options elsewhere. I would never pay over $70 for steak.

Maybe not but for me it's more that I can find just as good food off property for a lot cheaper. Since I always have a car its not a problem to leave the bubble and find much better and cheaper options elsewhere. I would never pay over $70 for steak.
You're looking at the wrong reviews if you ended up at Cosmic Ray's and Hollywood and Vine.

Everyone has their own tricks to feeling better about their trips, so this isn't a knock on what works for you because who cares what I think if you're happy with it? Personally for me, gift cards never give me that feeling because it's still cash. I can save those Target cards for Christmas shopping or whatever so when I'm sitting down to eat, I still think about it like it's cash regardless.

And I'm a huge proponent of the DDP. I love having everything paid for when I go down there, it's a huge stress reliever not to worry about money all day. That has value to me.
You can't buy Disney gift cards with Target gift cards anymore. I believe that stopped in 2016-2017 online and in-store was later maybe 2017-2018; some locations probably filtered out later on. I don't know if the previous person was doing that when they said they buy Disney gift cards at Target or if they were just saying that's a location they buy them at. I haven't tried it in a long long time but when Target stopped doing it Walmart was still allowing their gift cards to be used to pay for Disney gift cards. Whether that is still the case I don't know.

For the original question I believe it will only make sense for Disney when enough restaurants will be open and if they believe they can get enough capacity for them. The Dining plan may be a set amount of choices to use it in but it really only works when there's enough places to even add to the list and I don't believe they are at that point nor will they for a while. Perhaps though once this flu season is over with, we hopefully will be further along with knowledge about a vaccine and such there will be more information to work on to know if Disney has any confidence that it will be worth it for 2021 or if just to start off with 2022 Dining plan.

I'm not really interested in going off property to eat. Also, it's one thing to choose to eat off property due to cost/etc., and another to say you eat off property because there is nothing good at WDW. :)

I've never paid close $70 for a great entree at WDW. Even at the signature's. I'm sure there are entrees that cost that much, but there are other great choices that don't.

To each his/her own!

And to stay on topic, I think dining plan will come back when park hopping does. I feel a lot of people hop with the dining plan (we did).

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in going off property to eat. Also, it's one thing to choose to eat off property due to cost/etc., and another to say you eat off property because there is nothing good at WDW. :)

I've never paid close $70 for a great entree at WDW. Even at the signature's. I'm sure there are entrees that cost that much, but there are other great choices that don't.

To each his/her own!

And to stay on topic, I think dining plan will come back when park hopping does. I feel a lot of people hop with the dining plan (we did).
All I said was there is just as good options and much cheaper off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter