• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to cancel?

I decided to book a studio in SSR for the last five nights of the August 2019 use year for 70 points. I also immediately banked the remaining 23 from my 2019 allotment. It's not ideal, but it's better than losing them entirely. And if Disney World's gates are open and my family is healthy enough to travel in July, I will be grateful.

Really, really sweaty, but grateful.

I just cancelled my early April trip. No way the country is not closing thru at least May. Like others said, the 2019 points go back to 2019 year. The points I banked from 2018 and borrowed from 2020 didn't go into hold, but I now have to use it before UY (summer). Which I highly doubt I can go given the current situation. HK Disney had been closed for almost 3 months now. I think US Disney will follow at least through June.

I think it's unfair to not put borrowed points back into 2020. You want to give people incentives to return. I can see they want to 'punished' people who banked, for not using pts in the appropriate year. But I should not be penalize for using points ahead of times and want them put back in a pandemic.

I just cancelled my early April trip. No way the country is not closing thru at least May. Like others said, the 2019 points go back to 2019 year. The points I banked from 2018 and borrowed from 2020 didn't go into hold, but I now have to use it before UY (summer). Which I highly doubt I can go given the current situation. HK Disney had been closed for almost 3 months now. I think US Disney will follow at least through June.

I think it's unfair to not put borrowed points back into 2020. You want to give people incentives to return. I can see they want to 'punished' people who banked, for not using pts in the appropriate year. But I should not be penalize for using points ahead of times and want them put back in a pandemic.
I honestly think its going to be closed into July at least. I like to compare the US to China. Shanghai isn't open yet and theyved closed it since Jan 25th. They will be at 2 months next week without opening the park. Our parks just closed so your looking at at the least 3 Months with a Possibly earliest opening of July. We have a June 5-18 trip plan and we fully plan to cancel and hopefully re-book in July but who knows. With the wife being a Teacher there aren't many options for us outside June and July.

It really isn’t about punishing. It is about following the guidelines of the POS and making sure that any deviation from those guidelines are not only legally allowed but more importantly, won’t have effects on the system as a whole going forward once the resorts are back open that cripple the system.

It has to be why when the executives realized what a big mistake it was last week for the few days that they allowed borrowed points, to quickly put an end to it this week.

It stinks, it really does. But if things continue long term and they continued to allow people to put back borrowed points, then next year, we would have people who won’t be able to book rooms and lose points and become upset that the changing of the rules now was what caused it.

It really is lose lose no matter how you look at it.

It really isn’t about punishing. It is about following the guidelines of the POS and making sure that any deviation from those guidelines are not only legally allowed but more importantly, won’t have effects on the system as a whole going forward once the resorts are back open that cripple the system.

I don’t think that the POS allows cancelling the points for reservations they don’t honor either. That is what they are doing for people with a reservation next week and April use year. There is no chance to use those points.

The choice is to essentially steal thousands of dollars from a few unlucky people, or to make it a little harder for everyone to find exactly the room they wanted next year. Neither way is allowed by the POS.

Which way do you think is more likely to go to litigation for breach of Contract?

They do have the ability in the POD to stop banking and borrowing for everyone to balance the system if it gets out of whack.

I don’t think that the POS allows cancelling the points for reservations they don’t honor either. That is what they are doing for people with a reservation next week and April use year. There is no chance to use those points.

The choice is to essentially steal thousands of dollars from a few unlucky people, or to make it a little harder for everyone to find exactly the room they wanted next year. Neither way is allowed by the POS.

Which way do you think is more likely to go to litigation for breach of Contract?

They do have the ability in the POD to stop banking and borrowing for everyone to balance the system if it gets out of whack.

They are returning the points so I don’t see how it violates the POS.

Maybe a claim that the dues for those lost points may be due back to then owner because of the shortened life ?

But that would probably be only if resort is closed.

The key I guess is trying to read through the POS to see if there is language regarding resort closure, I know if a resort is damaged and no longer viable, that insurance claim happens and owners get their shares of insurance,

But, I don’t know if there is insurance that covers this, I am not saying it’s not frustrating and that it doesn’t seem right. I was just saying that so far, it seems they are doing what they can in terms of the legal aspect, and what’s in the best interest of the system.

One thing we really don’t know is if there are talks going on right now on how to deal with these lost points for resort closings. It just happened and maybe it’s just too soon for them to let people know what they can or are planning to do.

Look how often things have changed with these rules So far. It’s obvious to me they are trying to figure it all out, especially when we don’t know how long this will last

Last edited:

I quickly skimmed through my POS for RIV. The only thing I can find is that of business insurance that discussed the interruption of the resort,

What is says, though, is that if it’s obtainable, and economically feasible...something like that..it has to be in the name of the association,

But, it doesn’t sound like they have to carry it, So, if I was someone with points expiring during the resort closure when I had them booked then, this the first place I’d start. I would ask about it and whether it covers members for the days they will be losing to use the points.

If all borrowed points are returned to 2020, why will this whack the system? If I have 100 points to start in 2020, I still only have 100 points if they let me return to borrowed years.
I agree that this is a lose lose situation for us. Esp those with spring / summer UY.

I don’t want to clog up phone because there are so many with ressies in March.
So should I wait or call?
Apparently, DVC has gotten over the tsunami of calls that resulted from the closure announcement. I just got off the phone with MS after a zero minute wait on hold. So, at least for now, it seems that you shouldn't have to be on hold for hours if you need to call.

If all borrowed points are returned to 2020, why will this whack the system? If I have 100 points to start in 2020, I still only have 100 points if they let me return to borrowed years.
I agree that this is a lose lose situation for us. Esp those with spring / summer UY.

Because the system is based on typical banking and borrowing and it all working out, it’s based on historical data.

If all of a sudden, you have Borrowed points going back, that typically wouldn't, then there will be a larger number of points than are usually there. This will translate into harder times to book.

For example, if normally 100,000 points are borrowed each year, which frees up rooms, all of a sudden are not, thats 100,000 points competing for rooms that wouldn’t because they had reserved rooms in the past.

I think if closing was only a few weeks, then it could have little effect. However, if we are closed done until May, that going to overload and something will have to be done.

Which is why they could suspend borrowing and/or banking to keep number of points in any one UY closer to what should be there to book the rooms.

Because the system is based on typical banking and borrowing and it all working out, it’s based on historical data.
So, let's say there was no virus and no resort closures. But, against all odds, a one-in-a-billion fluke occurs and no one goes to WDW one year (maybe next year is the 100th anniversary of WDW and everyone is waiting until then to visit). Statistically speaking, that would never happen, right? But, even though the odds may be infinitesimal, it's still possible for the highly improbable to occur. Let's say it's not EVERYONE, but what if a sizable majority of owners don't book that year for whatever reason and, instead, they all bank those points to the following UY?

The next year you would have up to double the number of points in the system and not enough capacity to accommodate all of them. This would be exacerbated if lots of owners also borrow points because now everyone wants to be there for the 100th Anniversary of WDW, for example. This could be exactly the kind of (highly unlikely) situation where borrowing could be suspended temporarily because there are already too many points in that UY.

These closures may have much the same effect, and are no longer theoretical... lots of extra points are getting dumped into UY20 (whether because of "un-borrowing" being permitted temporarily, or people who are within their banking window and will now take advantage of that option when they otherwise wouldn't have).

I won't be the least bit surprised if the only alternative to prevent even more points flooding into the same UY is if they suspend borrowing and/or banking at some point to level things off.

Just saw that Disney has stopped the ordering of Magic Bands, It says for reservations that begin after March 31st, to check back for updates,

I think that may be a hint that things are pretty much going to be extended, Thoughts?

Just saw that Disney has stopped the ordering of Magic Bands, It says for reservations that begin after March 31st, to check back for updates,

I think that may be a hint that things are pretty much going to be extended, Thoughts?
I think they're going to extend it 2 weeks at a time... which would put the next round to just before my April trip. I'd expect them to announce it after the 3/20 resort closure.

Anyone concerned about their may trip? I have one planned for may 10th. Debating on moving it yet or not. The problem is I don't have enough points to book a backup delayed trip for June or July unless I cancel my may trip. Id rather not do that because the resorts I want are mostly booked up (and id miss flower and garden). Some resorts are still available for June and July (but it also costs more points). I wish they'd announce decisions for may right now. What to do??

I feel for you. We're in the same boat, BRV May 2-9. I'm getting super annoyed that they haven't announced any new updates.

We're meant to be going in early December, and the pessimist in me is worried that the parks still won't be (fully) open even then! I realise that is massively unlikely, but still i'm a pessimist and just need to air my concerns no matter how daft they are!

Thomas Cook went bankrupt 2 days before our last WDW trip, and DLP closed a few days after our last trip there so that one had been in doubt massively as well, so i'm used to fearing the worst with Disney trips!

We're meant to be going in early December, and the pessimist in me is worried that the parks still won't be (fully) open even then! I realise that is massively unlikely, but still i'm a pessimist and just need to air my concerns no matter how daft they are!

Thomas Cook went bankrupt 2 days before our last WDW trip, and DLP closed a few days after our last trip there so that one had been in doubt massively as well, so i'm used to fearing the worst with Disney trips!

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter