When to cancel?

CDC just announced a recommendation of 50 people or less gatherings for 8 weeks. That puts us at the 2nd week of may which happens to be the day before my trip. Oh boy. I suspect an announcement from Disney by tomorrow on that.

Going to be real interesting. We have a trip planned for late April that I am guessing probably won't happen at this point. Does anyone know if points go back to their original location even if the parks haven't announced closure yet for the dates of the trip?

I am a little irritated with DVC right now. I called Monday to cancel our March trip (before they announced closing) and they agreed to keep my 57 2019 points in my 2019 year and the 7 2020 I borrowed back into 2020. They said they would be in holding for a few days and then moved. They are still in holding and now I am being told it will be 30 days before they are moved, which means I can’t reschedule. I also decided to cancel my June trip since the CDC said it could be 8-20 weeks before they think gatherings will be OK. my June trip was to VCG and we are east coast, so I can’t wait until the last minute to buy airfare, and since I am a breast cancer survivor still on meds and Have high BP , I’m in the slightly higher risk category. So, I don’t feel it is prudent to anticipate traveling. I’d rather aim for 2021. They told me my borrowed points would have to stay in 2019 if I cancel. I get it, I do, but this is not just canceling because I changed my mind. It’s canceling because of my health and the inability to plan as a result of a global pandemic. It’s the 1st time I’ve really been disappointed in the response. I’ve been told no before on things and accept it, but I’m having a hard time with this one.

CDC just announced a recommendation of 50 people or less gatherings for 8 weeks. That puts us at the 2nd week of may which happens to be the day before my trip. Oh boy. I suspect an announcement from Disney by tomorrow on that.
Not sounding good for our late April trip, but still hoping.

I am a little irritated with DVC right now. I called Monday to cancel our March trip (before they announced closing) and they agreed to keep my 57 2019 points in my 2019 year and the 7 2020 I borrowed back into 2020. They said they would be in holding for a few days and then moved. They are still in holding and now I am being told it will be 30 days before they are moved, which means I can’t reschedule. I also decided to cancel my June trip since the CDC said it could be 8-20 weeks before they think gatherings will be OK. my June trip was to VCG and we are east coast, so I can’t wait until the last minute to buy airfare, and since I am a breast cancer survivor still on meds and Have high BP , I’m in the slightly higher risk category. So, I don’t feel it is prudent to anticipate traveling. I’d rather aim for 2021. They told me my borrowed points would have to stay in 2019 if I cancel. I get it, I do, but this is not just canceling because I changed my mind. It’s canceling because of my health and the inability to plan as a result of a global pandemic. It’s the 1st time I’ve really been disappointed in the response. I’ve been told no before on things and accept it, but I’m having a hard time with this one.
I agree with you. I would love to say what I'm thinking but I'll get yelled at by Avid DVC. Owners. Good luck .

I know you intend to cancel, so maybe wait it out a little longer. There is a chance the parks will close longer and the waiving of rules will continue.

With the new CDC info, in a few days, things could change As hard as it is to understand, they have to include a cut off right now.

But rest assured, if the parks are closed longer, and CDC is still issuing guidelines, we will see the pattern of waiving the rules continue. .

I have a June reservation as well (and need to travel to the other side of the country, too). I am not surprised the "flexible cancellation" policy (not sure there is an official policy) does not apply yet. With the rate of spread is being reported right now, I would be very surprised if the situation is anywhere near "normal" by June. Thus, I am going to wait and see if DVC would be more liberal in a month or two. I guess we just need to be more patient.

LAX

I have a June reservation as well (and need to travel to the other side of the country, too). I am not surprised the "flexible cancellation" policy (not sure there is an official policy) does not apply yet. With the rate of spread is being reported right now, I would be very surprised if the situation is anywhere near "normal" by June. Thus, I am going to wait and see if DVC would be more liberal in a month or two. I guess we just need to be more patient.

LAX

It appears from recent reports, they have changed the policy effective immediately and will not be allowing people to put back borrowed points.

I’ve been waiting for an announcement on the 8 week recommendation. It should just make it possible for our May trip but now I’m antsy. I’ve been hearing that, if this drags on, DVC could potentially suspend all banking. I don’t see us using all of our points on just our Thanksgiving trip. I had hoped to bank some by switching our November reservation at the 7 month mark and using those “extra” points for an extra night in January (we have a December UY).

If we cancel May, I won’t need the extra points and would just bank the May points to be used in January. I’m now concerned they may suspend banking and I’ll be stuck with extra points I can’t use plus having to borrow to add on a night in January.😢

I’ve been waiting for an announcement on the 8 week recommendation. It should just make it possible for our May trip but now I’m antsy. I’ve been hearing that, if this drags on, DVC could potentially suspend all banking. I don’t see us using all of our points on just our Thanksgiving trip. I had hoped to bank some by switching our November reservation at the 7 month mark and using those “extra” points for an extra night in January.
This is crazy. To use a Disney line a whole new world. Stop penalizing DVC members and points and find a way to make everyone whole because of this difficult situation

To be so cold and calculating just shows how unfeeling DVC can be. No better than someone price goughing toilet paper and hand sanatizer. A new slogan let my points go ...back into my account. I'm telling the cdc on you. Laugh out loud....

To be so cold and calculating just shows how unfeeling DVC can be. No better than someone price goughing toilet paper and hand sanatizer. A new slogan let my points go ...back into my account. I'm telling the cdc on you. Laugh out loud....
I’ll probably just end up canceling. I don’t even know what to do. I would rather risk skipping May and having the points banked than waiting and losing them. Hopefully they will credit my Villains tickets towards MVMCP.

Does that mean dvc members could lose them?

It is possible, depending on how much longer they have left in their UY. I actually have a May reservation that has some borrowed points. They will expire July 31st, 2020. I knew that when I borrowed them. So, if that reservation becomes a no go, and they are indeed not allowing them to be put back, I either go in July or lose them.

It was the risk I took when I borrowed the points. I normally do not travel late in my UY like that, but this was a changed trip from February with friends that had to be moved due to a wedding, and then, all of a sudden in January, after it had been changed, a few nights showed up in at AKV in a concierge room which I couldn't pass up. So, I had to borrow.

The good news is is that I can travel any time as I am now retired, so most likely, I won't lose them!

This
I’ll probably just end up canceling. I don’t even know what to do. I would rather risk skipping May and having the points banked than waiting and losing them. Hopefully they will credit my Villains tickets towards MVMCP.
This should be a non issue. Disappointed with how some businesses operate.

Unfortunately, there are timeshare laws and there is only so much legally we can do for the system. You simply can not overload the system with more points than are built into it to secure rooms.

If they just let everyone put their points back, extend the life of points, etc., then down the road, we'd be at a point where people would still lose points because there would be nothing left to book.

It is frustrating, and it seems unfair, but its going to be a tough problem to solve right now, especially given this is so unprecedented. For example, If a resort got damaged and couldn't be rebuilt, basically DVC owners at that resort would just get their share of the insurance money...and that may or may not be equal to what they had spent.

I really believe that if DVC could do everything like that and still be able to have the system function appropriately and legally, they would.

Last edited:

I have seen reports that they are allowing refunds for the tickets so you should be able to get your money back for those to use toward MVMCP.

Unfortunately, there are timeshare laws and there is only so much legally we can do for the system. You simply can not overload the system with more points than are built into it to secure rooms.

If they just let everyone have their points back, extend the life of points, etc., then down the road, we'd be at a point where people would still lose points because there would be nothing left to book.

It is frustrating, and it seems unfair, but its going to be a tough problem to solve right now, especially given this is so unprecedented. For example, If a resort got damaged and couldn't be rebuilt, basically DVC owners at that resort would just get their share of the insurance money...and that may or may not be equal to what they had spent.

I really believe that if DVC could do everything like that and still be able to have the system function appropriately and legally, they would.
Maybe time to get ingenious and find creative ways to help members.

If they just let everyone have their points back, extend the life of points, etc., then down the road, we'd be at a point where people would still lose points because there would be nothing left to book.

I’m sure they would! But the possibility of suspending banking even when it’s before my banking deadline really rubs me the wrong way. If my trip is in May and my banking deadline is August, why shouldn’t I be allowed to bank the points if WDW stays closed? It’s not extending my points any longer than I could have done normally if this trip hadn’t been planned. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m sure it’s the right decision for Disney financially but it’s not just.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter