"When I went it was all lights, and music, and Mickey doin' his magic." — Aug. '18 Disneyversary TR — Completed (Finally!!) August 20, 2021

Your visits to Discovery Cove make me want to add it to my trip plans! It looks like such a relaxing wonderful way to spend a day!

I had the same thought when I read that in her report!

:rotfl:

He's not! :laughing: Though on the issue of having half a brain...I won't comment on that one...

:laughing: As you should! It's a good flavour combo.

They look tired. They've been up since before 6am.
I must have half a brain...people often say I'm a half wit. Or is that dim wit?

I wasn't going to ask what y'all do at midnight at the dunes of the cape...you're married and none of my business. :rotfl2:

Love pina coloda.

Oh dear, the mother with the "personal space" comment made me wonder how many people have heard me say that to Landon over the years. :sad2::laughing: We refer to it as a person's "personal bubble" and to remember to respect people's bubbles. :rotfl:

You must have looked mighty official at Discovery Cove! Maybe you just looked really relaxed and calm and people saw someone without a panicky-lost look and assumed you knew your way around. :rotfl:

Your DC day sounded amazing and just reinforced my desire to visit there one day!

I loved your hair, too! It looked really nice next to the birds in the aviary. :goodvibes

JKpqFP6.jpg

Much better!
Def looks more like it!

but then N reminded me of how I have to wait an extra 15-20 minutes at most every quick service place at Disney while everyone else gets their food in minutes, and then I decided that it was more than fair. :goodvibes
Such a good husband and true!

Chef Renee came back with my breakfast and asked where my family was sitting. I told her that N was still in line, so she WENT AND GOT HIS BREAKFAST TOO SO WE COULD EAT TOGETHER!! Above and beyond, I tell you! When I told her we were fine without special treatment, she replied that "it's not special treatment; it's fair treatment." She told me how she knew that allergy diners almost always have to wait for each other's food to get cold, or eat separately, so if she can help people avoid that at DC then she's happy to. I found N in the line—he'd barely moved inside the building at that point—and we joined Renee outside where she was putting both our breakfasts on a table. :lovestruc
AMAZING! SO glad you had this expierence.

But he does, however, occasionally enjoy a nice stereotypically "girly" drink.
Ha. Andy likes a good shandy.

The usual stuff. It started getting weird though when he made repeated comments about how nice and relaxed we looked, sitting in the shade with our drinks, nothing but time to kill, must be nice, etc. Then he sighed and said, "...makes you wonder what the poor people are doing."

Ummm... :scared1:

How does one even respond to that!?! :confused3
Oye! I am not sure how I would have responded to that either.

Edit: thanks to pkondz for filling in my knowledge gap here, that this is actually a very common saying for when life is good! Somehow it's not one that our folks ever used, despite the fact that our lives were often "good." Not surprising, I suppose, since some googling tells me that it's common in the South, and I'm very much from the chilly North.
I also, never heard this before. And is probalby a saying that should go away. It sounds really bad!

DC looks lovely and it looks like a great place to explore and relax!
Funny how you were mistaken as an employee there many times, who knew a wet suit made you popular:rotfl:
I have hear the saying a few times in my life except I am a Northerner as well so we don’t hear it up here much! It does sound negative though so I see how you could be offended by it!

Discovery Cove is still on my list. I really enjoyed your review, looks like a great day! I think if I tell Zack there are unlimited slushies he'll be sold :rotfl: That's great that Chef Renee was so awesome for you :)

I've never heard that saying either, I guess cause I'm not from the south. I would have been just as confused!

Now that's a beautiful looking queue!

I love this ride! I’m hopeful that maybe sometime in the next few years Disney will make some updates to this ride to reflect up-and-coming innovations to help combat the climate crisis. If anyone could lead the way in this in a way that's accessible to the masses, I like to believe it would be those who carry on Walt’s radical vision.
YES! I totally agree :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness, I forgot how cool it was to have pink hair! :cool:
I was thinking the same thing - OMG your hair looks amazing!

#StillFeelingSaltyAboutThisTBH
Same.

I always get a little anxious on this ride thinking that it could finally be the time when we lose him for good. :faint:
:laughing:

“Everything’s Already Set in Stone. Now It’s Just Acceptance.”
This is amazing.

It says "NON-SCENTS" :rotfl::rotfl:
I've never seen this either! Thanks! :thumbsup2

We had a delicious and nutritious lunch of fries, diet Dr. Pepper
You're speaking my language. Two of my most favorite things, all in one meal :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

if there was any time I would have thought it most appropriate, it was on the actual day of our actual anniversary, in the actual location where we were married, in a fancy expensive restaurant modelled after the country where we are actual citizens, and whose citizens tend to pride themselves on politeness and generosity.…meh. :confused3
No kidding!!! :sad2:

So happy to see updates from you! :goodvibes Now to catch up on the next two pages!

Somehow N had managed to take us...here? :confused3 "So....is this it?" N asked, forgetting what the entrance to the park looked like. I assured him that this was certainly NOT "it." ("PRETTY SURE WHEN YOU GO TO DISCOVERY COVE THERE'S A BIG SIGN AT THE FRONT THAT SAYS 'DISCOVERY COVE,' HONEY!" was briefly going to be the name of the trip report, for the record. :laughing:) We turned around, got our bearings, and shortly after found ourselves pulling in here, instead:

JKpqFP6.jpg

:lmao:I'm dying here. Is is THAT hard to find?! LOLOLOL!

Perfection!

We were given wetsuits, and we took them to the bathrooms to change.

4zPfshD.jpg

I love the bathrooms there! So clean and well stocked!

I don't have any photos of this because cameras aren't allowed

Which is really just a ploy to get you to buy their ridiculously high-priced photos. They give a line about the cameras agitating the animals which is a crock. Marine life gets photographed all the time without incident or harassment. :rolleyes2

After the marine animals had their breakfast, it was time for us to do the same. N went to get in the line, which now was snaking through the whole queue around and a fair distance outside the building.

Yeah, when I was there, the breakfast line was non-existent. Lunch was another story.

Some of them were quite rude, too. It gave me a new appreciation for employees at Discovery Cove and other theme parks. And it also lends a bit of clarity to the attitude of the gentleman we'd meet later who was responsible for that horrendous quote...

Hmmm....

she WENT AND GOT HIS BREAKFAST TOO SO WE COULD EAT TOGETHER!! Above and beyond, I tell you!

That was excellence in customer service right there!

After breakfast, we hit the aviary. This is our typical plan of attack at Discovery Cove: eat early, do the aviary (before the water opens up, before it gets too hot to be out of the water anyway, and while the birds are still hungry,) and then go get wet.

I1bm4SB.jpg

The Aviary was one of my favorite parts!

Just gorgeous!

This wasn't anything special, but it was fine

Fair review of the food there!

I was admiring how my pretty rose gold vacation nails were glittering under the water...

xMK7miY.jpg

I'm just curious how you took that photo....

I swear, I'll never get tired of languorous palm trees and azure skies as long as I live. :lovestruc

It just never gets old!

Then he sighed and said, "...makes you wonder what the poor people are doing."

:rotfl2:

As pkondz said, very common saying but I can see how it'd be jarring if you'd not heard it before or know the context of its genesis.

*Edit: thanks to pkondz for filling in my knowledge gap here, that this is actually a very common saying for when life is good! Somehow it's not one that our folks ever used, despite the fact that our lives were often "good." Not surprising, I suppose, since some googling tells me that it's common in the South,

Good explanation.

Sounds like N had the same GPS as @Steppesister uber driver.

YES!! Although my own GPS (which is what I should have been using in the first place!) worked just fine.

I had the same thought when I read that in her report!

Know before you go!

I really need to check out Discovery Cove one day! You had me at Lazy River!

PRETTY SURE WHEN YOU GO TO DISCOVERY COVE THERE'S A BIG SIGN AT THE FRONT THAT SAYS 'DISCOVERY COVE,' HONEY!" was briefly going to be the name of the trip report, for the record.
🤣😂🤣😂
Chef Renee came back with my breakfast and asked where my family was sitting. I told her that N was still in line, so she WENT AND GOT HIS BREAKFAST TOO SO WE COULD EAT TOGETHER!! Above and beyond, I tell you! When I told her we were fine without special treatment, she replied that "it's not special treatment; it's fair treatment." She told me how she knew that allergy diners almost always have to wait for each other's food to get cold, or eat separately, so if she can help people avoid that at DC then she's happy to. I found N in the line—he'd barely moved inside the building at that point—and we joined Renee outside where she was putting both our breakfasts on a table. :lovestruc
So nice! And especially how she didn’t make you feel left out or anything!

Sounds like such a fun Discovery Cove day! That is definitely a place I would love to visit at some point. I have to say, though, I am from the deep South, and I have never heard anyone say that. If I had, I probably would have had a very similar reaction to you! Even if it is common where you're from, I feel like that's not something an employee should say to a customer, given how easily it could be misunderstood. :confused3

Oh! I thought of you the other day because I was driving and the license plate on the care in front of me said "WE R 1" and I was like, "I wonder if they love Rivers of Light!!?"
🤩 Vanity plate goals!!! Too bad I just renewed, darn it!

PRETTY SURE WHEN YOU GO TO DISCOVERY COVE THERE'S A BIG SIGN AT THE FRONT THAT SAYS 'DISCOVERY COVE,' HONEY
:rotfl: Dead!

I wish every morning looked like this...
Le sigh. I totally agree!

"Yes. I understand that. But personal space!" I also considered this as a trip report title...and also maybe just the title of my life in general.
I need to add this to my repertoire especially for use at work events!

I'd like a coffee. I'm sure you would, but sorry, I don't work here
Again... filing that one away for later 😂

What if I'd just given medicine to a shark or something and hadn't washed my hands!?

OK THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE TITLE!

I swear, I'll never get tired of languorous palm trees and azure skies as long as I live. :lovestruc
I see you, you vocabulary maven!

Then he sighed and said, "...makes you wonder what the poor people are doing."

:rotfl2:

*Edit: thanks to pkondz for filling in my knowledge gap here, that this is actually a very common saying for when life is good!

Okay I am born and bred southern - have lived in various parts of Georgia my whole life and have never heard that expression either so I would have been :confused3 as well!

For the rest of the trip, whenever we did something extravagant that felt a little bougie, whether it was a Disney tour, or just ordering a fancy dessert, we'd make sure nobody around us was listening, then look down our noses at each other, guffaw, and croon, "Makes you wonder what the poor people are doing!
At least you were using it correctly!

Hello! Long time no see/talk!

I was catching up on your current TR and I also went back and re-read your wedding TR because next summer I am getting married in WDW :bride: We are doing the Escape package in the Canada Terrace (not to be copycats lol) so I wanted to re-read your TR to get myself even more excited! haha

Your trip to Discovery Cove looks so fun! I have never been but may have to check it out sometime.

I definitely wouldn't have known what that turn of phrase meant either and would have just taken it as someone being super boujee :rotfl2: I definitely want to start using that though hahaha

Looking forward to reading more!

You know what eats up a person's time more than having master's degree courses? ...having a master's degree internship. Ooh boy! Now, to top things off, I need to learn how the new-and-improved Dis works! Be assured that I'm reading your comments and I appreciate them! I'll be back soon (maybe?) with an update.

You know what eats up a person's time more than having master's degree courses? ...having a master's degree internship. Ooh boy! Now, to top things off, I need to learn how the new-and-improved Dis works! Be assured that I'm reading your comments and I appreciate them! I'll be back soon (maybe?) with an update.
Don't fret over us Meghan...we understand life gets in the way sometimes. We'll be here when you can. :grouphug:

We get it. Well... maybe we don't exactly get it... since I've never done a master's degree or internship... but we get that you're busy.
Do great at that and then tell us all about it! :)

We had a pre-park-opening reservation this morning, and we were let into Epcot before rope drop. While we were waiting to be let through the security checkpoint, however, the security guard called me out in front of the other guests and asked whether I had my pirate's license. I was a bit confused and told him that I did not. He shook his head and told that that, unfortunately, only pirates are allowed to operate canons... I looked down to where he was pointing to my camera. Whoops! I did have a canon with me, indeed! *ba dum tssss*
Thank you... I needed another dad joke.
We stopped by one of my favourite places at Epcot, the Fountain of Nations. How I will miss this when it’s gone! #StillFeelingSaltyAboutThisTBH
Say what? I know I'm out of the loop about Disney news, but I had no idea this was happening! I knew they were re-doing the graveyard in front of Spaceship Earth, but I didn't realize this was going away too... or is it already gone???

I feel the sudden urge to cram for my Disney trip. I just feel inadequately prepared.
This is awesome. So much better than LeCellier. I know you kept saying it was "fine," but a signature dining experience at Disney World should be better than "fine" and you are certainly right to expect that. Yet you go to Discovery Cove and get above and beyond.

Thanks for taking a break so I wouldn't be any farther behind. I really appreciate that! It's been nice catching up with you and what you've been up to since your Disneymoon! The Anniversary pictures were a great idea and they really did turn out very well!

Hi, friends! I have all kinds of replies to get to, but I'm gonna' do some updating while I've got a few minutes so I make sure it gets done. I also don't have much photo editing time these days, so you get the full truth in these update photos! The untouched, un-colour-corrected, blemished truth! You're welcome.

Dismeets and Character Greets, a DHS Evening Adventure
Aug. 18—Part 2

When I last left off, we had finished our Discovery Cove visit and headed back to the resort for a rest. As the afternoon wore on, we got ready to head out again, and we drove to Hollywood Studios. The timing worked out just perfectly to knock a few fun things off our DHS list, and we were even in for a surprise!

I traded pins with a couple of cast members on the way in to the park, but I was on a mission to get to Toy Story Land to put in for a DAS for Slinky Dog Dash. Perhaps it was because of this that I was initially a bit oblivious to the sound of someone calling out my name. When I finally clued in, I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS! He had spotted me and my pink hair and was kind enough to introduce me to his family. Jeff wrote about the meet on his trip report as well—if you're not following his reports, you should be!—but let me echo that we had a lovely little chat. Jeff is a fellow Canadian, and I believe that he even has some family in my own province of Nova Scotia, so it almost seems silly that we both had to go all the way to Florida to meet each other! Jeff, thanks so much for taking a few minutes out of your vacation to meet me and N, and I'm honoured to have been your first Dismeet!

FfLoiPI.jpg

After meeting Jeff and popping in to TSL, I noticed that it was almost time for us to happen upon a "chance" occurrence back at an undisclosed location toward the front of the park. We backtracked and arrived in the mystery location just in time to meet a few friends! (If you're unfamiliar with this character event, I'm not supposed to disclose the information about it, but you can just google "Character Palooza" and "Character Locator" to learn more.)

Disclaimer: don't mind my less-than-airbrushed skin! The new pink hair really drew attention to any blemishes (my only qualm with my super-fun rosy locks) and this day I wasn't feeling fighting with melting make-up in the humidity.

ikyTzMa.jpg

rYZS5rE.jpg

24VhASX.jpg

ySNUYk1.jpg

9lzXjPp.jpg

CCWzmNV.jpg

DJFqpQG.jpg

zp5gNB2.jpg

9B0K2Zw.jpg

vbgFmJ5.jpg

m3elEij.jpg

3lZ90pX.jpg

(Disbelief that there's no page in the book for Br'er Fox)

g8Sk9OA.jpg

rYSI9i6.jpg

mOFGjsJ.jpg

8z0Lobm.jpg

Ns0uUzy.jpg

JPckWz2.jpg

This is something I'd been hoping to catch for a long time, and I'm glad that it worked out! The characters we saw were so great, and some were quite uncommon, so it was awesome to get some fun photos and signatures for my book. Getting to meet Robin Hood and Br'er Fox was especially dreamy, and I couldn't have been more excited! Br'er Fox, especially, was a fantastic character meet. He had a whole lot of attitude...even exiting the scene like this:

SUb2sJD.jpg

It was a toasty-but-gorgeous day, and we strolled down Sunset Boulevard to our next destination.

OwYBrVD.jpg

We had a little extra time before our dinner reservation, so we stopped for a few photopass photos along the way.

uzahCYJ.jpg

UAeQhjK.jpg

Our dinner this evening was at the 50s Prime Time Diner, a first for us! I'd heard lots of good things about the food and the antics, so it seemed like a good option for us. It was also exciting because I could get gluten free fried chicken, which is a neat novelty I can't enjoy at home.

I was beginning to get a little tired, and to be honest, N and I were both starting to get a bit cranky. That wasn't helped when I met with the chef, and he told me that the request I'd put in two weeks in advance with the special diets folks to have gluten free fried chicken had never been received! This was frustrating because this particular allergy meal takes a long time and can't be guaranteed if you don't request it in advance. The chef said he would still do it for me, but it would take at least 45 minutes. I wasn't thrilled to have the extra wait, but I was glad at least I could still be accommodated. In the end, the chicken was...just okay. But I'm glad I tried it, and I appreciated the effort.

ZcmMJkk.jpg

It looks like N got the sampler-type entree? I dunno. He ate it. I think it was fine. I don't quite remember since it was 10 months ago... :confused3

VNY2RQI.jpg

One thing I thought was a nice touch was that they had a gluten free dessert! Like an actual legit gluten free dessert! Rather than the typical gluten free selection of allergy-friendly ice cream, sorbet, or fruit, they could serve us this makeshift s'more on gluten free cookies. We weren't particularly hungry for dessert, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity!

awc26z0.jpg

Overall, despite the fatigue and crankiness, and despite waiting some extra time for our meal, we did have a nice experience here. Our server was excellent. He made a few sarcastic wisecracks, but he kind of read the room when he first got to our table and seemed to notice that we were too tired to really play, so he kept things pretty civil. We did have fun watching the family at the table across from us get picked on by their server though! She kept putting their little guy in "time out," and he thought it was hilarious. :laughing:

Continued in next update...

"Nothing is more powerful than the imagination!"
Aug. 18—Part 3

After dinner we still had lots to accomplish, and having a home-cooked 50s-style meal seemed to give us a bit of a second wind. We headed back to Toy Story Land to check things out after dark, and to ride Slinky Dog.

ZOfIqTa.jpg

8XlI15Z.jpg

I love the adorable theming in this whole land, and especially in the queue for SDD.

PjArXCr.jpg

XaQU6Un.jpg

The ride was a lot of fun, and it only made me slightly spinny/nauseas.

A2NVHZj.jpg

After the ride, we were finished with TSL for the evening. As much as I would have liked to also ride TSMM, I thought I should do my head and stomach a kindness and take time to settle. I took some photos as we headed out.

5TOhThW.jpg

8LgkYoo.jpg

We decided to walk over to Launch Bay and kill some time so I could stick around for my favourite nighttime spectacular.

First we met Kylo, and I surprised both him and N with my total willingness to join him and fight the Resistance. :confused3 What can I say? The First Order dudes get cool creepy-looking robes, and I know what happens to people who cross Kylo...

17Hr33W.jpg

dcbhLKC.jpg

hOnU2xn.jpg

(See N's expression here: his face is saying, "I do not know this crazy woman. She's not my wife. This isn't actually happening, right?")

It was pretty hilarious. Kylo didn't seem to really know what to do for a second, and the CMs were busting a gut. N wasn't impressed with me, but he was mostly just happy that I was trying my best to participate in his Star Wars fandom, so he let it slide.

fgda40r.jpg

Then we went to meet BB8, and I let him know that, of course, I was just placating Kylo, and that my allegiance still resided with the good folks of the Resistance.

eW3cg2S.jpg

zbklb0B.jpg

bUNsLuC.jpg

N and I did a bit more pin trading, and then we caught the projection show on the front of the Chinese Theatre. I think it was called something "at the movies" or something like that? I wasn't really paying attention, but we'd never seen it before, and it was kind of neat.

nkARP3T.jpg

gOwVNw3.jpg

Before too long, it was time for the main event, my favourite nighttime show at WDW...Fantasmic!

4eNL3lw.jpg

gRc9xlJ.jpg

a9Ye8tY.jpg

3EQWtKG.jpg

s7N6dQk.jpg

GqNYO6A.jpg

EemFhrj.jpg

38qh7mL.jpg

oioKUig.jpg

2VJIOrc.jpg

5LylWHB.jpg

SeBN2t5.jpg

7hhpKDD.jpg

NWG84Nt.jpg

We enjoyed the show, and I was glad that we'd stayed. I absolutely love this show, for the soundtrack, and the way it follows a narrative, and the message that beauty, and love, and imagination will always triumph. :lovestruc My dream job, for the record, is also to be buds with Mickey in this particular role when he opens the show. (I may or may not have his opening dance memorized in case I'm even called on in an emergency. :blush:) Soo much love for Fantasmic!

Then it was time to head back to the resort and get some much-needed rest. We'd need our sleep if we wanted to be ready to meet another luxuriously beautiful day in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I was on a mission to get to Toy Story Land to put in for a DAS for Slinky Dog Dash.
DAS?
I know what it is... just don't remember what it stands for.
Perhaps it was because of this that I was initially a bit oblivious to the sound of someone calling out my name. When I finally clued in, I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS!
Oh that's right! I almost forgot that happened. :)
we had a lovely little chat.
Filled with tons of "ehs" and comments about cold weather.
Jeff is a fellow Canadian, and I believe that he even has some family in my own province of Nova Scotia, so it almost seems silly that we both had to go all the way to Florida to meet each other!
(Disbelief that there's no page in the book for Br'er Fox)
What?????
(If you're unfamiliar with this character event, I'm not supposed to disclose the information about it, but you can just google "Character Palooza" and "Character Locator" to learn more.)
Interesting. I'm not big into characters, but... quite the windfall!
Disclaimer: don't mind my less-than-airbrushed skin! The new pink hair really drew attention to any blemishes (my only qualm with my super-fun rosy locks) and this day I wasn't feeling fighting with melting make-up in the humidity.
Merely gorgeous. Check.
Our dinner this evening was at the 50s Prime Time Diner, a first for us!
Yum!
he told me that the request I'd put in two weeks in advance with the special diets folks to have gluten free fried chicken had never been received!
Oh no!
In the end, the chicken was...just okay. But I'm glad I tried it, and I appreciated the effort.
Too bad it wasn't better, though.
One thing I thought was a nice touch was that they had a gluten free dessert! Like an actual legit gluten free dessert!
Good!
She kept putting their little guy in "time out," and he thought it was hilarious. :laughing:
The ride was a lot of fun, and it only made me slightly spinny/nauseas.
Glad you liked it. It's a great little coaster. :)
First we met Kylo, and I surprised both him and N with my total willingness to join him and fight the Resistance.
:laughing: Meghan!!!
The First Order dudes get cool creepy-looking robes, and I know what happens to people who cross Kylo...
Well... can't argue with that.
(See N's expression here: his face is saying, "I do not know this crazy woman. She's not my wife. This isn't actually happening, right?")
Then we went to meet BB8, and I let him know that, of course, I was just placating Kylo, and that my allegiance still resided with the good folks of the Resistance.
Ooooohhh… a double agent. Sneaky.
We enjoyed the show, and I was glad that we'd stayed.
:) I'm glad you did too.
My dream job, for the record, is also to be buds with Mickey in this particular role when he opens the show.
I can totally see that happening.
(I may or may not have his opening dance memorized in case I'm even called on in an emergency. :blush:)
:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter