When and why did colorful Christmas trees start becoming all the rage and popular?

Back in the day when it came to Christmas decorations and Christmas trees it used to be that artificial trees were traditionally green but as time went on I had begun seeing white Christmas trees and I couldn't figure out why this new trend of Christmas trees became popular? Was it to give the tree a snow-white look to make it like a real tree covered with snow during the winter or did it begin a new trend of colorful Christmas decor? Because if you go to any store you not only see white artificial Christmas trees and traditional green Christmas trees but you now see blue trees red trees and bright green trees and all it tells me is that people are changing the looks of their Christmas decor and a bright colorful Christmas tree fits the decor well. And I can see colorful Christmas trees being a fad for a long time
It's actually very simple: people are monsters.

I think whatever you prefer is just fine - it's your house and your decorations.

Personally, we have a mix of trees - 2 green, 1 white, and 1 silver. The silver one gets purple lights and my husbands sci fi ornaments. The white one gets blue and white lights and University of KY ornaments. The other 2 rotate between whatever we feel like putting out that year. I don't have room for 4 this year, not sure which ones will make the cut.

Several years ago, target had a dark silver tinsel tree that looked purple. I wanted that thing soooo badly, but couldn't justify the price. Our silver one is looking a little worse for wear, when it goes I may look for a black one to replace it.

We also do a halloween tree
I’ve seen Halloween trees that looked pretty cool… but they were based on trees without foliage— so just the trunk and branches that served as a scaffolding for purple or purple, orange, and black-ish lights (black looked dark purple to me when lit) and then Jack o’lantern, with smaller purple & black ornaments as accents. They are interesting to see in homes that are decked out for Halloween.

One year when I was hospitalized in December and then basically bed bound for weeks, our tree got left up for most of January. DH was too busy taking care of me & the kids, and working to have time to take it down.
I told him it was too bad we hadn’t done all red & white/silver ornaments with my red and white lights that year, because we could’ve left it up a few more weeks and called it a Valentine’s tree.🙃:lmao:

* I’ve done the semi-monochrome trees before, generally done red or blue with the same color lights (occasionally add a few white ones in too because I like a LOT of lights on a tree, but I’ve also done with just the single color lights. Then for ornaments, I do almost all blue [90%) with a few white or silver speckled in, or almost all red with a few gold peppered in. It’s quite striking.
So I’ve got the makings of a Valentine’s tree. I’ve actually even got a 3.5 ft. all-white tree that would look awesome as a “Love tree”. 🥰😍:love2:

Last edited:
I'm curious how that would look. Can't wrap my brain around it.
:o The one I (accidentally) had was a 10’ pencil tree made out of shiny black tinsel, without the slightest nod towards realistic. It came pre-decorated in red and silver; silver ribbon streamers and huge, glittery red gerbera daisies (that I originally thought were poinsettias), filled in with shiny glass balls in red and silver. Since I had it, I went with it but I added hundreds of multicoloured mini lights and a few of our own special ornaments, including a traditional angel on top. It turned out looking reasonably Christmas-y.

:o The one I (accidentally) had was a 10’ pencil tree made out of shiny black tinsel, without the slightest nod towards realistic. It came pre-decorated in red and silver; silver ribbon streamers and huge, glittery red gerbera daisies (that I originally thought were poinsettias), filled in with shiny glass balls in red and silver. Since I had it, I went with it but I added hundreds of multicoloured mini lights and a few of our own special ornaments, including a traditional angel on top. It turned out looking reasonably Christmas-y.
I can actually visualize that.

My comment was more about the fact that when I think about the concept of a black on black tree my mind comes up with -- nothing. I just cannot picture it in my head for the life of me. It's got nothing to do with being my taste or not my taste, I'm just genuinely curious about the idea of it. I've never seen or heard of anyone doing that and I'm intrigued.

Back in the day when it came to Christmas decorations and Christmas trees it used to be that artificial trees were traditionally green but as time went on I had begun seeing white Christmas trees and I couldn't figure out why this new trend of Christmas trees became popular? Was it to give the tree a snow-white look to make it like a real tree covered with snow during the winter or did it begin a new trend of colorful Christmas decor? Because if you go to any store you not only see white artificial Christmas trees and traditional green Christmas trees but you now see blue trees red trees and bright green trees and all it tells me is that people are changing the looks of their Christmas decor and a bright colorful Christmas tree fits the decor well. And I can see colorful Christmas trees being a fad for a long time
Its not that new.
My grandmother had a silver Christmas Tree with a spotlight that had a rotating thing of various colors that made the tree look different colors.
That was in the early/mid 70s. She probably had it since the 60s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter