What's your rack rate?

Of course without DVC we would be staying in a regular room...

This is the comparison that's important to me. I like to look at what we'd be spending without DVC. Without DVC, we'd spend about $2,000 on a 6 night split stay between the Pop and Boardwalk. At this rate, it will take us about 25 years to break even financially, but we WILL eventually cross the breakeven point. And instead we'll be staying in 2 bedrooms at BWV.

No matter which side you look at it from, DVC is great!

I was shocked when I just did this...

AKV - 2BR Savannah view June 6 -16

This wasn't available so I had to pick 2BR Concierge Suite which came to $17,156!!!!

Dividing that number by 591 (which is the total nuber of points that would have taken) gives me a value of $29.03/pt

Multiplying that $29.03 by the 484 points it actually cost me gives me a grand total of $14,050.52 :scared1:

Wonder if I could use this math to convince DH to buy some more points :rotfl:

The rack rate according to Mousesavers.com for the AKV (KV), 2 bedroom savannah view is $1090 per night, including tax. I know, because I just found it for my post directly above yours.

Ok, here is one:

DLR Paradise Pier Theme Park View 5/28-5/31

CRO rate: $940
Rate using points: $627.13
Savings: $312.87

Rack Rate: includes Spring Savings Room offer (25% discount)

Point Rate Calculations:
104 points
2011 GCV Dues: $4.0701/point
Buy-in: $98 (per point)/50 (yrs)= $1.96 per point per year

The rack rate according to Mousesavers.com for the AKV (KV), 2 bedroom savannah view is $1090 per night, including tax. I know, because I just found it for my post directly above yours.

Being honest with ourselves, is there anyone here who feels an AKV 2br non-concierge room is really worth over $1000/night? :rotfl:

Perhaps, if it were concierge, and IF it came with a private butler, chauffeur and Rolls Royce combo, then maybe.

Our two-week vacation would be $7,364 rack rate.

Beach Club Villas, Studio, 8/6 - 8/13: $2,796
SSR Tree House, 8/13 - 8/20: $4,568

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I want to see exactly how good of a deal DVC got us for this stay. I used all home resort points from these bookings, so the math should be pretty straight forward.

Our SSR contract was purchased in 2006 for $98 per point. (Thank you Orange County online deed search! I couldn't have remembered that without being able to look it up.) We'll have 48 total use years with these points, which means each point cost $2.04 per use year. SSR maintenance fees this year are $4.51. That means the points used this use year cost a total of $6.55 per point. The Tree House Villa reservation was 298 points. My total cost for the Tree House stay this year is therefore $1,951.90.

Our BCV resale contract cost us $97.35 per point when closing costs are factored in. We bought that in '09, which means we'll have 32 use years on that contract. Each point therefore cost $3.04 per use year. Maintenance fees at BCV this year are $5.28 per point. So my per point cost this use year is $8.32. The studio was 134 points. So my total cost for the Beach Club studio this year is $1,114.88.

That makes the total actual cost for our vacation this year $3,066.78. That's a far cry better than the quote I just got off the Disney World web site for $7,364 for the same rooms on the same dates! :cloud9:

Ok, I'm on a roll now... I want to know how this compares to what a smart person would spend for the room. (I shouldn't mention that our very first WDW trip, before we bought DVC, was booked through the web site at the rack rate, thereby eliminating me from the "smart person" category that year.)

We have annual passes, so I'm assuming if I weren't using DVC I'd use that discount as my best deal. It doesn't look like our stay is within a blackout period, so I'll use a best-case scenario and assume the 35% savings would apply to all nights of both stays. That would make the discount $2,577.40, making my cost to book through CRO with an annual pass discount code $4,786.60.

I'm still ahead with DVC by $1,719.82. :woohoo:

See that... I'm back in the smart person category, again. I bought into DVC!

October 13-15, LV studio at BLT = $1080
October 15-18, Std 1BR at BWV= $1823

TOTAL = $2903 :scared1:

Even with an AP discount, it would still cost almost $1900. If it weren't for my DVC, we'd be staying at Pop Century again. In 2009, our room at Pop was only $350 for 5 nights. There is NO WAY I would EVER pay $2000 for a room for 5 nights. Now, with the DVC, I can stay in a bigger, better resort without the "sticker shock". (*Disclaimer: I love Pop Century for what it is...a nice, clean, budget-friendly resort. It is my first choice when I am out of points:hippie:)

December 2010 Xmas week BWV's 1 GV and one standard villa for 6 nights and an additional SV studio for 5 nights rack rate was $20,000 plus. Wouldn't have had the best 35th anniversary/ family trip ever if we weren't DVC owners.
DVC is magical!

Admit to checking what my DVC trips would cost too;). I tend to announce it in grandiose fashion to DH as we're pulling up to the DVC de jour:laughing:. Probably should temper it with knowledge that few guests pay rack with all the pincodes/FDPs bouncing around the last few years, but I do believe the promos are a blip and will disappear as soon as Fantasyland update is complete.

OK... we bought in last year. We have a 13 night trip planned next month and we took a 6 night trip last Thanksgiving. 6 nights at BCV 2BR over Thanksgiving, 12 nights AKV 2BR value, 1 night AKV 2BR standard, and a AKV standard view studio for our friends for 7 nights.... GRAND TOTAL with TAX = $20632.50 :scared1:.

Even if you figure in a 40% discount, that is still $12380 :eek:.

THV

Dec 17-23 $630 $3780
Dec 23-26 $965 $2895
With taxes a little over $7500!! Thats insane! Plus I was able to do 6 nights in a CL studio at AKL with our points this year too!

May 17 - 20
SSR Studio Rack Rate $1,148 $340/nite
Dec 11 - 14
OKW Studio Rack Rate $1,097 $325/nite

Take any of the above numbers and multiply them by AT LEAST 3 for the Grand Californian. Rack rate during summer season for a regular hotel room there is at least $450 plus 20%-ish tax and daily fees. I want to say i read that rack rate for a studio is around $800. Not than anyone really can rent a villa for rack rate in the first place, since they are always booked up.

When we stayed in a GV at OKW in December 2009, the rack rate was $1275 per night. It has gone up since then. OUCH!

So far I haven't heard anyone actually staying at VGC through Disney with cash and the rates aren't posted anywhere. However, someone did check when they first opened and nightly rate for studio was $850, 1 BR $1050, before taxes of course. Yikes

This is the reason why DVC is having a hard time renting the rooms that members use as tradeouts. During busy times, they end up giving free upgrades from values or moderates to SSR and OKW just to fill them. Especially during free dining where the rack rate is so high. Also why the points for non-DVC options keep going up.

This is the reason why DVC is having a hard time renting the rooms that members use as tradeouts. During busy times, they end up giving free upgrades from values or moderates to SSR and OKW just to fill them. Especially during free dining where the rack rate is so high. Also why the points for non-DVC options keep going up.

Do you think the rack rates are artificially inflated to justify the costs of DVC?

Do you think the rack rates are artificially inflated to justify the costs of DVC?

15 years ago, they quote me more than $300 a night for a plain Jane hotel room at the Grand Floridian.

So $900 for 2 bedroom suite at BLT 15 years later seems right in there for prices.

Nov 2010 SSR Pre-Thanksgiving 2br 4 days @ $715= $2860 + 4 days Studio @ $370= $1480 Grand total $4340

Jun 2011 OKW GV 5 Days @ $1415=$7075 + 5 Days Studio @ $340=$1700 = Grand Total $ 8775

Aug 2011 AKV 2 days 2 br@ $925 = Grand Total $1850

This is without tax ---:scared1:---:scared1:---:scared1: Unbelievable, love DVC!

I've never paid for a cash room, what discount do they give DVC owners for cash rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter