What's up with September and October availability?

Rory_Chapman

Earning My Ears
We started planning our October 2017 trip earlier this month. As soon as we started looking at resort availability for 10/15-10/21, so many of them are saying there's either no availability, or that they only have one category available (of course, it's the most expensive one). This is the story for Wilderness Lodge, both Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, the Poly, all the Epcot resorts (yes F&W, but still, not even a CL room is available?!).

Now, I get that mid-October crowds are trending up with F&W, Fall Break, MNSSHP, etc. But it's the same story for the whole month of September, and I just don't believe that crowds will be heavier in the early Fall than they are in the middle of Summer (I checked availability for the week of July 4, and there's a ton for the resorts listed above).

So I've been on the phone with three different CM's, each of which says it's possible that they could be waiting to roll out availability for when the next RO discounts come out. I guess my question is whether anyone knows if this happens at all? Do resorts just hang on to their cheaper rooms and not let people book them until later on in the year? Or am I wrong to believe that the middle of October is a less busy time than the week of the 4th of July (come on...)?

September has free dining. October is a fairly busy month these days, and your dates overlap some of that busy period.

Keep in mind that Coronado is under construction, POP is being refurbished, and two villages at CBR are being torn down.

Disney isn't "holding onto" rooms. They would rather book them up and have the deposits, which they profit on with currency float.

We started planning our October 2017 trip earlier this month. As soon as we started looking at resort availability for 10/15-10/21, so many of them are saying there's either no availability, or that they only have one category available (of course, it's the most expensive one). This is the story for Wilderness Lodge, both Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, the Poly, all the Epcot resorts (yes F&W, but still, not even a CL room is available?!).

Now, I get that mid-October crowds are trending up with F&W, Fall Break, MNSSHP, etc. But it's the same story for the whole month of September, and I just don't believe that crowds will be heavier in the early Fall than they are in the middle of Summer (I checked availability for the week of July 4, and there's a ton for the resorts listed above).

So I've been on the phone with three different CM's, each of which says it's possible that they could be waiting to roll out availability for when the next RO discounts come out. I guess my question is whether anyone knows if this happens at all? Do resorts just hang on to their cheaper rooms and not let people book them until later on in the year? Or am I wrong to believe that the middle of October is a less busy time than the week of the 4th of July (come on...)?

Fall is the new busy season. People have started avoiding WDW in the summertime.

Passholder rates came out for September 1 through October 7, 2017 today. I wasn't impressed. I got a better standard rate for my dates a few weeks ago by over $100/night. And even a few weeks ago there were slim pickings. Something unusual is going on because even when I adjust my dates nothing is coming up and TouringPlans.com is estimating that WDW resort wide crowds will be a 2 the week I'm going so there's no way all the rooms are "gone".

I was shocked with the limited availability on AP discounts for Sept/Oct. I booked Boardwalk when the Enchanted Escape offers came out but fully expected to switch to whatever deluxe was a steal on the AP discounts. Nothing but big suites and club level! Cheapest is $1200 at Contemporary or $224 at AsMu... uhh, no thanks!! No Mods at all, which kinda makes sense because of all the construction, but still not like anything ever seen before. I'm still not positive the online stuff is all up and working properly. Good thing we were happy with what I booked originally. I guess we'll be enjoying F&W from Boardwalk!

I'm in the same boat for early September. Something definitely doesn't add up. There is hardly anything available the entire week I'm looking for, at any resort...unless I book a 6 bedroom, club level, Mickey Mouse is my butler room that will set me back $67,578 per night!

I'm not buying that free dining, F&W or resort construction is causing this. The first week in September including Labor Day is notoriously a slower time.

I was shocked with the limited availability on AP discounts for Sept/Oct. I booked Boardwalk when the Enchanted Escape offers came out but fully expected to switch to whatever deluxe was a steal on the AP discounts. Nothing but big suites and club level! Cheapest is $1200 at Contemporary or $224 at AsMu... uhh, no thanks!! No Mods at all, which kinda makes sense because of all the construction, but still not like anything ever seen before. I'm still not positive the online stuff is all up and working properly. Good thing we were happy with what I booked originally. I guess we'll be enjoying F&W from Boardwalk!

We were able to get $265 at BWI and $310 WL club level with the fall AP discount. Pickings weren't great but there were some good deals to be had.

September has free dining. October is a fairly busy month these days, and your dates overlap some of that busy period.

Keep in mind that Coronado is under construction, POP is being refurbished, and two villages at CBR are being torn down.

Disney isn't "holding onto" rooms. They would rather book them up and have the deposits, which they profit on with currency float.

Ironically, POP and CB are the ones that show they have availability during our dates. Granted, they're the Pirate rooms at CB and POP only has standard rooms available, but that's more than the other resorts I listed above. I mean I totally agree that October has become a busy month. But busier than the week of the 4th of July?

Ironically, POP and CB are the ones that show they have availability during our dates. Granted, they're the Pirate rooms at CB and POP only has standard rooms available, but that's more than the other resorts I listed above. I mean I totally agree that October has become a busy month. But busier than the week of the 4th of July?

4th of July week isn't as busy as it used to be. It's really only busy July 3-4.

Everyone is saying that fall has become peak season so are families pulling kids out of school for vacations?

Everyone is saying that fall has become peak season so are families pulling kids out of school for vacations?
Yes/no. I still think most people will not pull their kids out the first few weeks in September, but definitely in October.

I booked the Enchanted Escape Room offer in the beginning of May hoping to switch it out with the AP discount. They said AP discount came out on June 14th but I saw no mention on the website. After checking every day it finally showed up June 23! By then everything in my desired range was no longer available so we're gonna stick with the original offer. Our adult DS was planning on coming with us but we have a king room and they won't let us switch to two doubles. Definitely something up with the website

Yes. And quite a few districts have started having a fall break.

I get the mid October pull your kids out theory. However in my situation, first week of September, are people pulling their kids then too? I can't believe they would with school having just started up. I feel like something is wonky with the system. This just seems nuts.

I booked the Enchanted Escape Room offer in the beginning of May hoping to switch it out with the AP discount. They said AP discount came out on June 14th but I saw no mention on the website. After checking every day it finally showed up June 23! By then everything in my desired range was no longer available so we're gonna stick with the original offer. Our adult DS was planning on coming with us but we have a king room and they won't let us switch to two doubles. Definitely something up with the website
Add a roll-away cot for $15/night for him. We have used them countless times and it's worked out great. They aren't that bad unless you are a super picky sleeper. I've slept just fine on them several times.

OP - Touring Plans says for Oct. 19 and 20 there's MNSSHP, Food & Wine, and a Utah Ed. Convention. That's alot going on. We went June (approx. 16-26 IIRC) last year and it was quiet - almost as low crowds as end of August (when we go annually). Granted there were 2 tragedies shortly before our trip, probably reducing crowds more than usual, but I just don't think summer is as busy a time as Sep/Oct/Nov now that many schools start in early/mid August and take a fall break.

Last edited:
Ok so not to beat a dead horse, but I was curious. From 12/22-12/29, every single resort has availability. And in almost all those resorts, all categories are available. I mean does that not seem abnormal? That Christmas would have more availability this time of year than mid-October?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter