• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the new food trend?

I’m needing a very nice 3 course meal that will be easy to serve for a church ladies light dinner

shrimp salad
gazpacho
shrimp, crab or lobster bisque
grilled fish over rice
caesar salad w/ grilled shrimp/salmon/fillet mignon or chicken
smoked pork
potato salad
individual strawberry shortcakes
berries with fresh whipped cream
chocolate pound cake topped with strawberries & fresh whipped cream

I would go with quiche,

Oh - that's a good idea. Simple and flavorful, goes good with salad(s). And it's a nice, light meal as well.

Buratta seems to be on every restaurant menu these days. I was reading some menus online the other day and one place even called there’s the ubiquitous buratta. Got a chuckle out of that.

So Maybe a burrata salad to start

I also do not like the current trend to add spice where it doesn’t belong or at least not tell you about it. I hate hot food! I ordered steams clams and it was loaded with jalapeños. Yuck. My husband ordered a burger (an expensive Manhattan one $25) and it has a chipotle Mayo. Yuck. Both menus should have at least stated the fact.
Things like Mac n cheese shouldn’t be spicy in my book. But again I must be in the minority because it is everywhere!

Buratta seems to be on every restaurant menu these days. I was reading some menus online the other day and one place even called there’s the ubiquitous buratta. Got a chuckle out of that.

So Maybe a burrata salad to start

I also do not like the current trend to add spice where it doesn’t belong or at least not tell you about it. I hate hot food! I ordered steams clams and it was loaded with jalapeños. Yuck. My husband ordered a burger (an expensive Manhattan one $25) and it has a chipotle Mayo. Yuck. Both menus should have at least stated the fact.
Things like Mac n cheese shouldn’t be spicy in my book. But again I must be in the minority because it is everywhere!

Have you ever purchased burrata? It's extremely expensive. It's not exactly something you'd have at a church ladies luncheon.

Although, it is delicious.

Apparently it's packaged stuff lately, especially dried veggie snacks of various kinds. Also plant-based milks and fake meat.

If there is one easily identifiable fresh trend, it seems to be hibiscus. Mostly in drinks, but often also turning up in salads & desserts.

Made this for a get-together the other day. It's so refreshing. https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/watermelon-cucumber-feta-salad-recipe

that's a fancier version of one of our 2 go to summer salads. instead of having flowers in my deck planters i have herbs so all summer long we have fresh mint and fresh basil. if i've got watermelon on hand we top it with mint and feta (love the costco crumble containers-they last in the freezer forever), if i have mozzarella it's a caprese salad (i have an awesome fig balsamic). great stuff during warmer days!

What time is this event? Will this be pre-plated or a buffet? You first mentioned a light lunch/dinner, then later said you need a 3 course meal for a light dinner.

The trend nowadays seems to be plant-based proteins and those impossible burgers that are fake meat, as a PP mentioned. It doesn't sound like something that a church group of women will be into. :crazy2: Unless you want it to be a fun item to explore. (I sampled a fake chicken nugget that someone had at lunch. It was mostly the salt and spices from the breading that gave it a chicken nugget taste. Some of those fake meats are way too processed to be any healthier. :scared: )

I'd keep the entree simple, grilled (real) chicken breast or a fish alternative.

Is the charcuterie fad over or is it still strong? Any new menu ideas for a ladies lunch or light dinner?
My family loves charcuterie boards -- one of "our things" is sharing a charcuterie board for dinner while sitting on the floor watching a movie. We also like to pack them into a large Bento box and take them on trips -- it's an easy meal to sit on the bed and share.

I went to a wedding a few months ago at which everyone was served a salad, and every table had a small charcuterie board to pass around. I thought it was a classy thing to do.
Always thought it was just a fancy French term for a 'snack tray'. Years ago when we were growing up, long before I had ever heard of that term, my mom used to serve cheese/crackers/snacks when friends/relatives were visiting. It didn't have any fancy culinary name, was just something she did.
Yeah, my mom and grandmother called them "Relish trays", and I always enjoyed making them /setting them out as an appetizer for family gatherings.
Hot honey on everything.
Oh, I do love that.
I would go with quiche, either individual small ones, or slices from larger ones, depending on the size of the group. Served with a nice summer salad, and some kind of cobbler or crumble for dessert. If you wanted to do a starter, caprese skewers are always a hit, especially in the summer.
Those are lovely ideas for a ladies' luncheon.
shrimp salad
gazpacho
shrimp, crab or lobster bisque
grilled fish over rice
caesar salad w/ grilled shrimp/salmon/fillet mignon or chicken
smoked pork
potato salad
individual strawberry shortcakes
berries with fresh whipped cream
chocolate pound cake topped with strawberries & fresh whipped cream
I love-love-love seafood in all its various forms, but allergies are fairly common. If you don't know that everyone can eat seafood, offer a second option.

I like the idea of a nice salad paired with skewers of some sort.

A note about strawberry shortcake: I once made strawberry shortcake skewers, which were wildly successful.

I love the idea of different people welcoming guests to their table with their own place settings! With that, I’d do upscale comfort food. Think dressed up Mac n cheese, (lobster is classic, we use smoked chicken and chipotle) or sliders with interesting toppings. And a fresh summer salad! My favorite is arugula with tomatoes, peaches and, yes, burrata in a vinaigrette. At a recent party a friend made a huge salade nicoise with cold salmon. Perfect for summer.

Not exactly new but for the summer you can use fruit to add lovely colors.

I love a beautiful water glass with a round slice of fruit floating on top, thin. lemons, oranges and lime are a nice fit.

There are many chilled fruit "soups" out there, I had a chilled raspberry soup at a wedding at Tavern on the Green once, and it was interesting and yum.

Sorbet can be served in hollowed out lemons and oranges.

Ohhhhh..... please tell me how you did those!
Not much to it: Bake a shortcake or white cake of some sort. Cut into chunks. Alternate cake and big, fat strawberries on skewers. Plate two skewers on each plate, drizzle with a bit of melted chocolate Finish the plates with a big dollop of whipped cream.

Why? Butter doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

Bacteria very easily lives in the microscopic crevices of wooden boards and the "handsy" nature of this trend will just end up making people sick. Can you imagine all the germs being spread along with the butter as people grab things with their hands and swipe them through butter, or frosting, or cream cheese. Gross. Just put the dip in a bowl and put a dollop on your plate like a normal person.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...d-trend-here-are-the-dangers/?sh=3af437c96ffb

Yes, butter should be refrigerated since it is a dairy product. Leaving it out all day on some sort of cracker board is a really bad idea. Besides the fact eating excessive amounts of butter doesn't seem like a healthy idea either.

Yes, butter should be refrigerated since it is a dairy product. Leaving it out all day on some sort of cracker board is a really bad idea. Besides the fact eating excessive amounts of butter doesn't seem like a healthy idea either.

Butter actually doesn't need to be refrigerated. It is stable at room temperature IF it's kept covered/away from air (it will eventually go rancid due to oxidation). A few hours on a board won't make it "go bad", but the potential for contamination is huge with this trend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter