What's a resort you swore you'd never stay at, but did and ended up loving?

I’m thinking SSR, is the closest we’ve come to this. We booked SSR last minute on DVC points just to have a place to stay and I absolutely loved it. The grounds and the rooms were beautiful.
That being said, I don’t think I’ve ever expected not to love my Disney Resort. I want to stay at them all! They all seem to offer something unique or special.

Coronado Springs, I never wanted to stay there because people said it was too big and I’m from California and there is a SoCal/Sandiego feel to it.
But I stayed very close to the main pool it was a short walk across a bridge to the food court . We were by 1st bus stop. The staff was excellent and the grounds were beautiful. The pool was awesome too. I loved POFQ, but the Coronado had such a nice resort feel to it.
Which area did you stay in?? :)

Wilderness Lodge.
We are an OKW-loyal family. Folks have been members since 1996. But WL, the theming, the pools, the boats, everything about it was really well done & even just walking around, was lovely.

Just curious, trying to open my mind a bit.

I think I would never want to stay at Saratoga Springs, but I watched a walk-through yesterday and it actually looks quite nice.

The grounds of CBR look amazing, but I don't think I like the rooms.

Tell me, did you think you'd hate somewhere and now you really like it? :)
Poly. I thought it was going to be dated, but it was lovely. This was before DVC and bungalows.

Coronado Springs. Location isn't great but the newly refurbed rooms are amazing. We got a rate of $100 for Christmas night this past year on Priceline and it was well worth it.

WL. I live in the pacific northwest so why bother? Turns out I enjoy the price compared to other deluxes and access to the boats (I love boats) as a transportation method. Feeling at home isn't a bad thing...

Art of Animation for us. We had never stayed at a value resort before and had no desire to, but we took a last minute trip on a tight budget so we decided to give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised by it. We would most definitely stay again, or try Pop Century as well since they're very similar. Considering it can be a substantial cost savings compared to the moderate resorts we normally stay it, these resorts have become great alternatives for us.

Wilderness Lodge. For whatever reason (because it was somewhat off the beaten track?) we never ventured there. The rooms looked dark and somewhat gloomy to me (in photos) and I didn’t find that appealing. Several friends tried to convince us otherwise, but I had kind of mentally taken it off our “resorts to try if only for a few nights” list.

We were - and still are - very happy with our home DVC (OKW and BLT) resorts. But DH wanted to try BRV a few years back and we both loved it. Now we stay there on a regular basis, even if just for a split stay. I love the lobbies - of BRV and the main building - and the general “vibe” of the surroundings. It’s an enchanting place and we find it truly relaxing.

OKW. We got a 1 bedroom and loved it! I thought the resort would be too big (especially with no car), but luckily we got placed near Hospitality House. DD10 still talks about it and begs to stay there every time we go back to Disney. Buses were easy and frequent (note this was just after re-opening in early August 2020). I am even thinking about buying into DVC after this stay (though not at this resort).

We have been to AOA twice (both times Mermaid rooms), Allstar movies, POR Riverside, and POR FQ. We honestly have loved them all. Going to try out CBR this fall. Have had ADR at several other resorts and always look around while there and they are all beautiful.

CBR. Always heard: too big, no special transportation.

Planned a trip 3 weeks out last year and it was the only place that had rooms available out of every value and moderate resort. We did want to spend SO MUCH MONEY on a deluxe for a last minute trip!

Between the refurb, the skyliner, the awesome pool and bar, Sebastian's, etc. it was way better than we anticipated. Staying there again later this year assuming its still open!
So they did get a refurb? Keep hearing from folks that have stayed there this past year saying it is so old and needs a refurb.

I wouldn't say I swore I'd never stay there, but I had no idea I would love it as much.

CBR!!!! Went for a 3 day stay to surprise my twins for their bday and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it!!!!!! Will go back in a heartbeat for a 3-5 day stay. For a 7-10 day like we're about to go on, we need a bigger room (so we do the deluxe studio at Poly with 2 bathrooms). But, we will do CBR again in the future if we have a money constraint or a short stay. It was our 3rd fav stay. Nothing beats your kiddo's first trip (WL) and your home resort (Poly), but this is a VERY close 2nd to the Poly. Loved the Skyliner, the food court, the pool, and the smell in the lobby!!

Edited to say we requested Aruba or Jamaica building and ended up in the latter. Close to Skyliner and short walk to dining and pool.

Last edited:
So they did get a refurb? Keep hearing from folks that have stayed there this past year saying it is so old and needs a refurb.

I am VERY picky when it comes to this and I did not feel like it was outdated. The bathroom, a little, but other than that, not at all. The shower/tub and toilet are separate from the vanity and the vanity area is very nice. The room is great. We did miss having a balcony, but it was fine. I loved it. It was our first moderate resort and I was very happy. In fact, it was MUCH better than Beach Club IMO. I did not like BC AT ALL. CBR's dining options are great and you can share with Riveria.

POR. I booked a split stay between POR (3 days) and WIlderness Lodge (5 days) a few years back having never stayed at either. I thought I would much prefer WL with the interior walkways and everything being under one roof. However, after I got to WL I found myself missing POR. I wouldn't say I liked one more than the other, but I was pleasantly surprised by POR because I had lower expectations.

I am now staying at Coronado Springs at the end of this month for the very first time and i am hoping i will be pleasantly surprised by this resort as i was with POR. However i am nervous because i have read that it doesn't have that Disney charm that the other resorts have.

SSR! We stayed there this last November on our points as it was the only thing available for our last minute trip and I LOVED it. Two feature pools! (Paddock pool with dining takeout right on sight!) Walk to DS. Playground for kids. Community hall. Fun bridge. Amazing. We did have a rental car though which I feel made our experience wonderful for the parks.

OKW. We got a 1 bedroom and loved it! I thought the resort would be too big (especially with no car), but luckily we got placed near Hospitality House. DD10 still talks about it and begs to stay there every time we go back to Disney. Buses were easy and frequent (note this was just after re-opening in early August 2020). I am even thinking about buying into DVC after this stay (though not at this resort).
If you are near the hospitality house are you last to get on a bus to the parks?

The rooms were newly renovated (one stay in Tower, one stay in standard King room), got a great price with AP discount, conveniently located, beautiful grounds. Try it!
I just gave up my Tower room for POFQ to stay in the same resort as a family member for convenience in meeting up. I want to cry. I really wanted to try that tower!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter