• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's $2100 to you? Poly vs Pop

I have tried and tried and tried to justify the cost of a deluxe, but there just isn’t any way! I honestly don’t know how so many people are able to stay in such over-priced hotels for weeks at a time. They are nice, but no way are they close to $500+ per night nice, especially when a good chunk of time is spent at the parks.
Yep. A huge chunk of time at the parks.

$2,100 is almost an entire trip for my fiancé and I. Personally, we don't spend much time in the rooms at all so I would never spend that much more for a hotel room, even though Poly is my dream resort

The rooms at the Poly are already in need of a dire refurb. The bulk of the 1st floor rooms all take in water during your average Floridian thunderstorm.

The newly refurbed rooms at the Pop may seem sterile but they are nice and a good bargain. I'd much rather pocket the $$$$ and put that towards special events/tours/fancy meals.

Our two rooms in Raratonga last July felt like new. We had no issues with water, and we had lots of thunderstorms all week.
When we last stayed at Raratonga during the summer of 2017, my former hotel corporate executive eye noted signs of the need for a refurbishment at this longhouse but nooo signs of water leakage in our third floor room.

Our two rooms in Raratonga last July felt like new. We had no issues with water, and we had lots of thunderstorms all week.

We were in Samoa and we kept having water come in near the sliding glass door to the patio.

Our room was a run down mess, especially for the price point Disney commands;

Really bad touch up paint jobs;
40Ef6WC.jpg

Molding that doesn't fit flush anymore;
GUJ6G1Y.jpg

Cracks and chips on the corner of columns/walls
HpyHKUS.jpg

We were in Samoa and we kept having water come in near the sliding glass door to the patio.

Our room was a run down mess, especially for the price point Disney commands;

Really bad touch up paint jobs;
40Ef6WC.jpg

Molding that doesn't fit flush anymore;
GUJ6G1Y.jpg

Cracks and chips on the corner of columns/walls
HpyHKUS.jpg
I recall when you posted these pics the first time and they inspired me to take a good look at the new to us longhouse, Rarotonga. Prior to that we had only stayed at Fiji which was in much better shape.

Were you able to get any satisfaction from the hotel after showing them these pictures?

Taking my 19 year old daughter and my 2 boys (14 and 16) on Disney trip from August 13-20th. I currently have the Polynesian standard view booked but I could book Pop Century preferred view instead. It's $2100 difference. I love Poly but Pop is fun. Obviously 2 different vacations; what do u think?

We have had this same decision for our summer trip. The Poly is my absolute favorite resort, but Pop (preferred room) is definitely not THAT far behind. We stayed there for a brief trip earlier this spring and I was blown away. The updated rooms stunned me with how nice they were. You can take that $2,100 and have some amazing dining experiences while Minnie Vans drop you off wherever you need to go and still have a big chunk of change left over :)

Taking my 19 year old daughter and my 2 boys (14 and 16) on Disney trip from August 13-20th. I currently have the Polynesian standard view booked but I could book Pop Century preferred view instead. It's $2100 difference. I love Poly but Pop is fun. Obviously 2 different vacations; what do u think?
I don’t ever look at how much I can “save” b/c I can’t deal with the values or even moderates lately. Also Poly is our favorite resort so I’m biased. I prefer monorail resorts also. But, everyone is different so it depends on what your expectations, preferences & needs are.

We stayed 1 night at Pop and couldn’t wait to leave. I couldn’t imagine spending my whole vacation there. If money is tight and the $2100 difference is too much for you, find a happy medium and stay at a moderate. Or look into renting DVC points to stay at a deluxe hotel for cheaper.
I stayed at pop once for a week & tried to move mid week, but there was nothing available. Was our worst trip ever.

I recall when you posted these pics the first time and they inspired me to take a good look at the new to us longhouse, Rarotonga. Prior to that we had only stayed at Fiji which was in much better shape.

Were you able to get any satisfaction from the hotel after showing them these pictures?

Nope because Disney gave us the Hurricane rate when we were there, and they felt that was more than enough compensation.

In your particular scenario, the POP for sure. I am of the (largely unpopular) opinion that the Poly is highly overrated. If you were deciding between the POP and BC/YC, I'd say the BC/YC is worth $2100 more.

It was loud & our neighbors were terrible which could happen anywhere; but we could hear them b/c walls were so thin. The transportation was atrocious. We used to be commando & I have no tolerance for ridiculous bus lines after park closing. I also hate having to line up for the bus before you even go to the parks. It was our one & only value stay. FTR, we prefer deluxe now, but back then we had only stayed at Coronado once so it’s not like we were just used to “luxury”. This was in 2008 before the remodel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter