• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What would you tell a 1st timer to skip?

We must be an oddball family as Dh's very favorite is Country Bear Jamboree
we all love Ellen's Energy Adventure, all the country movies, Carousel of Progress and Kali River Rapids.

We have never done Stitch nor Mission Mars and we had a friend that was a CM for Mission Mars and he tried to get us to bypass the long line and try it. We said, "No, don't feel like throwing up "

Do you mean Mission:Space? Mission to Mars was replaced by Alien Extraterror-estrial Encounter, which was replaced by Stitch.

I agree with PP pick the must dos and go from there. I do this every trip, I usually make a plan with my top 5-10 depending on the day and then if I get more its a bonus.

Also allow for changes if your kids love something and want to do it again let them if you miss something you miss it, everyone has there own must does and skips your family will have their favorites too.

ETA: lots of people said skip Country bears, but it's one of my family favs... Everyone loves different things

This is subjective. We have done the shows and are over them. Some things listed are things we see every time and some are just sometimes or never. We have a boy, which may matter. I don't really like the animals at AK or Epcot. This is a list of things to skip.

MK:
Baby rides, unless you have a wee one, Dumbo, circus area, barnstormer, Flying Carpets
Speedway
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island, unless you have 20-30min. It's actually one of our favorites, but it's a time suck.
Swiss Tree House - see Tom Sawyer
Astro Orbiter
Mickey's Philharmagic
Pooh and Peter Pan, unless you are really into those characters
Tea cups
Prince Charming Caroussel
Splash, unless you like wet
Hall of Presidents if your child is really fidgety
Stitch

Epcot:
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Journey into Imagination
Movies at the countries
Innoventions
Circle of Life
Grand Fiesta boat ride

DHS:
Most of the shows, although Indy and Lights/Motor/Action aren't bad. There's the Frozen Sing-a-Long too
Honey I Shrunk the Kids - playground
Great Movie Ride
Muppet Vision

AK:
Most of the shows, except Flights of Wonder
Triceratop Spin
Affection Section
Conservation Station
Kali if you don't like wet
Animals - trails etc
Rafiki
Boneyard - playground

In general I got the other way. Pick the things you must do and work around them. Everything else is a bonus.

I agree with this. It's going to be much easier to make a list of must-dos and then fill in with whatever time allows.

My daughter was 5 or 6 on our first trip, and we only tackled MK and Epcot. We intended to do all 4 parks, but we had so much fun at Epcot the first day - we wanted to go back the next one! Even so, we didn't see (and still haven't seen) all that those parks had to offer.

I love these boards, but if you don't already have one, I would recommend getting a good guide book (like Unofficial Guide). It will detail the attractions 1 by 1, tell you who likes them (little ones, teens, everyone), tell you the scare factor, etc. I would go through each park, attraction by attraction and highlight the ones you definitely want to see. It will probably be easier to start with EP, DHS or AK because they have less attractions. Then, if you have a question about one ride or another, come back here for answers. Don't get me wrong. I'll answer questions here all day long, but I think a good guide book is REALLY a valuable piece of the puzzle.

Also, not that you asked, but Epcot is my favorite park. If you're totally uninterested in World Showcase (and will only be touring Future World), then I would say a half day will do it, provided you get there early. However, if you're at all interested in World Showcase, a half day will be tough. By contrast, a half a day is more than enough time for my family at DHS and AK.

Edited to add: PP said to skip Journey into Imagination in Epcot. While I personally agree, it was my daughter's favorite ride up until last year!

I would try to do most of the rides on a first trip. It sounds like you have enough time available to do all of the rides and then add in some of the shows. Even Stitch, which obviously isn't the best loved attraction, is great for some kids - my DD is the world's biggest Stitch fan and has never wanted to skip anything Stitch related.

Epcot is the one where you need to be pickiest with only 1/2 day allotted. You probably won't get much done in World Showcase, but you'll have enough time for most of the major rides. I would probably skip Ellen's Energy Adventure simply because it takes 45 minutes.

If I read it correctly...daughter is 5 years old...a lot depends on your child.....

Being 5 years old and assume active...do not overlook Tom Sawyer Island to run around, or Boneyard at AK...not attractions, but neat play areas.

MK...if you are going to MK for two days....Country Bears is a nice place for air conditioning and rest...Stitch can be scary for little ones. IF she is into Characters....do not get too annoyed if she wants to spend a ton of time with them. Took my nieces and her family years ago and they spent 2 hours taking pictures and meeting characters vs rides with the boys. You are going two days...so you should have time for both or pick what day you hit the rides hard.... and Carousel of progress great nap ride for little kids late in the day.

AK - depends on your child...if scared easy....Dina soar and Bugs Life can be scary, or the water ride if she does not like to get wet......

If you have time and money.....my little kids love taking the boat to the Wilderness (maybe lunch) and riding a mouse boat with my wife or myself. not cheap but fun and different.

...and after many years of going my kids favorite thing........ the resort pool!!!!!!

I agree with the others that said not to focus on what you should skip. As a first-timer, I wouldn't skip anything. You need to form your own opinions of the various rides and attractions. What one person hates, another loves. Pick a few things you CANNOT miss and for the rest, just enjoy what you are able to based on wait times, your location, etc.

Yeah, I hear a lot of people say that HS is a half day park right now because of all the things they've closed but that is the park that's hardest to weed out attractions because almost everything looks like something my daughter would love. And this is our first time so all the shows will be new to her. :)

Everybody is different. Some things get said so many times on this board as though it were the absolute truth when it really is preference.

I think HS has a lot of good shows during the day, the 2 most thrilling rides in DW plus the most sought out attraction in TSMM. Star Tours has different scenes, so almost every time you take the ride it is a different experience, so at least 2-3 rides per day does not get old to me. There are other attractions to try as well. For me, there is not one attraction or show I don't want to try again. The food gets dogged even though it is the same type and quality as any other park. then you can close out a day with Fantasmic!

If you are only going to WDW once a year or so, there is more than enough to keep you busy for a full day IMO. yes, some stuff has closed leaving holes in the park and it would be nice if it was easier to get around in, but I love the park. And for kids over 6, I think there is much more excitement at HS then Epcot by a wide margin. But again, it is just preference.

Of course after saying all that and wanting to let people have their own likes and dislike, I wouldn't trust anyone that tells you stitch is a good attraction.

Plan 4 or 5 must dos and leave time for enjoying just exploring. My DD was 4 when we went the first time on a very short whirlwind trip Thanksgiving weekend. AK had just opened. For some reason my MIL and SIL left me my husband and BIL with the kids in the Boneyard. (I still dont know where they went and i was to tired to care at the time) The kids had a blast just playing in the gravel stuff. The daddy's got buried and i took pictures. It was best part of the whole trip!

Honestly if its your first time? I would say nothing is worth skipping .. it just all depends on the makeup of your group.
You have to experience them once to form your own opinion.

None of the attractions are "bad" .. but some are definitely "one and done" ..

I'd personally skip all of DinoLand USA at AK ... minus the Dinosaur ride ... It's nothing you can't find at your local county fair (and not sure why it was added to a Disney theme park)

You'll probably have to skip a few things at DHS .. just based on showtimes. For that ..just decide which shows don't hold an interest to your family.

I do not recommend skipping anything to a first timer. Everyone is different, and something I don't care for might be something you and your family really love. Yeah, certain attractions get all the hate around here, but everything is someone's favorite. Try them for yourself and see is the best advice I can give.

I agree with those that say it's better (and more fun) to pick your must-dos rather than must-skips. But, in the spirit of your original question, we always skip the Tomorrowland Speedway, and usually skip the Swiss Family Treehouse at MK and Ellen's Energy Adventure and Circle of Life at EP. That's about it!

I'll agree with stitch. It's the one attraction I'm extremely bitter about since it replaced alien encounter. I mean, if kids are still leaving terrified, what was the point of changing it? However I do admit the animatronics in it are amazing. I was pretty impressed with how fluidly the guns move to catch stitch.

My child was probably extremely unique. Her favorite park from the first was Epcot. We would spend at least 2 1/2 days at Epcot and only one at MK. But like I said she was very unique. She loved the countries and would chat with the cast members for as long as she could when she got her passport stamped. Small World was the only ride she would skip.

My child was probably extremely unique. Her favorite park from the first was Epcot. We would spend at least 2 1/2 days at Epcot and only one at MK. But like I said she was very unique. She loved the countries and would chat with the cast members for as long as she could when she got her passport stamped. Small World was the only ride she would skip.

DS was 6 his first visit. At 9, he still loves Epcot World Showcase. He finds the movies boring though.

Magic Kingdom: Aladdin's Carpets (my parents actually wasted a FP on this once!), Country Bears, Stitch, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Animal Kingdom: Kali River Rapids
Hollywood Studios: Actually....nothing I can think of.
Epcot: China's movie, France's movie, Circle of Life movie (in the Land)

Really, it's better to ask, "What can I absolutely not miss?" My answers would be Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic, and the Haunted Mansion.

You are not alone - it's my daughter's favorite too - has been since first visit. Soarin and Test Track are 2 of her favorite rides (sadly, Maelstrom was too :(). She always liked some of the interactive exhibits in Innoventions too, and the jumping fountains outside the Imagination pavilion. She inexplicably loved Figment, and then of course, she loved World Showcase. When she was little, she loved the Kidcot coloring and the passport, but she also liked (and still likes) trying different treats in different countries. She could spend forever in the Japanese gift shop.

Magic Kingdom: Aladdin's Carpets (my parents actually wasted a FP on this once!)

Well - for sure, only do one of the Dumbo-like rides - preferably Dumbo (skip Aladdin and Astro Orbiter in MK). And actually, if you're going to AK, do Triceratop Spin instead of Dumbo at MK. There's so much less to do at AK.

I'm surprised that no one has said it yet... Captain EO. I really don't like it at all. I guess for some people it might be nostalgic, but if it's your first time then it wouldn't be nostalgic and I would skip it.

For HS if DD5 likes the thrill rides I would do ToT, TSMM, Star Tours and RnRC if tall enough. For the child in her, definitely the Animation Studio and if time allows the drawing class. Not very long but you come away with a keepsake you'll cherish forever. On the fence about Disney Jr. but my DGDs love it. Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Muppets, Frozen Sing along (though my DGDs 2 and 4 didn't seem to enjoy it much) and Fantsamic. I could live without Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and the stunt race car show in the back (sorry, can't remember the name Lights something). That's just me.
Best advice is don't waste too much time on shopping and eating at TS restaurants unless on the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter