What would you do in this situation?

While I agree with your reasons that the dog would likely be better off staying with OP's parents, I can't understand why you phrased the bolded like you did. It implies that the OP isn't putting the dog first. Everything she's written leads me to believe that putting the dog first is exactly what's happening. Even the sentence "Or if I should wait until September, which makes me feel guilty about being away from her that long," suggests that the OP is focused on the dog, not herself. (Then it would have been something like,"Or if I should wait until September, because I miss her and want her here.")

OP, there's nothing wrong with choosing to keep your dog where she is being well cared for, even if it isn't with you. Ignore those trying to make you feel bad about your decision. It must be so hard to not have her with you, but you are showing great love for her by having her stay with your parents. I would probably have her stay there until September, so when she does arrive you know you will be able to give her more time and attention.
I certainly didn't mean it that way, only that every dog is an individual and needs to be thoroughly evaluated under ever situation. I meant that I sympathize with missing a beloved pet, but it certainly didn't come across that way. My apologies to the OP. I am always bad at phrasing what I mean without tone and body language. My good intention is there, my mouth (or fingers) are not synced correctly. My friends sometimes wonder if I am Sheldon's female half. So again, apologies. No snark ever intended.

I don't know your current housing situation, as I haven't through the thread. If you are in an apartment, and your parents are in a house with yard for dog to run around, I would leave the dog there until your schedule evens out. Apartments aren't always great for dogs, at least if you have a set schedule you can walk the dog before work and after......however until then, I doubt the dog will really be happy sitting around in a small area.

I never said I was thinking of my own wants. I have received lots of flack for "leaving my dog for so long" and that I should "make it work". I'm obviously very aware of the stress it may put on my dog and I put her needs above my own in all cases.

I think that the flack you have received is crazy. In the first place the only ones who have a say in this arrangement are you, your parents and your dog. If all of you are okay with this, tell anyone who feels the need to share their opinions that you all have made the best decision for the wellbeing of your pet, and their feedback is not only not necessary but unwelcomed.

I think that if you cannot be home long enough to help your pet acclimate to her new home, let her stay with your parents. I have always believed that for the most part, the more difficult decisions tend to be the best ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter