What would you do in this situation?

I recently moved to a new city. About 1500 miles away from my old city. My parents are currently keeping my dog (per their suggestion) so I can get settled into my new life here.

They planned to bring her to me in May, as I don't have any time off yet to pick her up myself and they want an excuse to visit anyway. I recently found out that there's A LOT going on in May at my job, which means late nights and working weekends.

My parents said they can keep her longer for me, but it wouldn't be until September that they would bring her to me.

I'm not sure if I should have her come in May, but I worry about her adjusting if I'm not home often. Or if I should wait until September, which makes me feel guilty about being away from her that long.

I'd find a great doggy daycare or pet sitter near you that she will be happy at during your long days and have her come in May.

I'd probably wait as well, as long as your parents are ok with it.

Aside from the dog being along for long periods of time in a strange place, if your parents are also coming to visit with you and you're working long hours, I would think that would cause issues with them as well.

If she's happy at your parents and they are OK with her then I would let her stay at Grandma/Grandpa camp. There will be a lot of changes for the pup when she moves and then you're working and not around much. The dog will either be home alone or with strangers at a doggie daycare during the day-- and how long are they open in the evenings? Then there are the weekends you'll be away too.

I would wait until you are settled completely and can start on a normal routine when she comes.

Not sure if this is fair, but I think it depends. You don't say, but I assume you live alone. It also depends on your age. Mid 20's, living alone - dog can stay with parents. Early 40's, spouse, two kids. The dog arrives in May.

Not sure if this is fair, but I think it depends. You don't say, but I assume you live alone. It also depends on your age. Mid 20's, living alone - dog can stay with parents. Early 40's, spouse, two kids. The dog arrives in May.
Yep, just me. Also just starting my career, so my salary is on the low end of course. Which means I don't really have the money to put my dog in daycare multiple times a week.

I'd put it off. Maybe something will change and your parents will be able to bring her sooner than September.

It depends on your dog. Mine is perfectly fine being in a new place for hours alone so I'd bring them. If you dog is going to be anxious or bark all day because you are gone I'd wait.

I recently moved to a new city. About 1500 miles away from my old city. My parents are currently keeping my dog (per their suggestion) so I can get settled into my new life here.

They planned to bring her to me in May, as I don't have any time off yet to pick her up myself and they want an excuse to visit anyway. I recently found out that there's A LOT going on in May at my job, which means late nights and working weekends.

My parents said they can keep her longer for me, but it wouldn't be until September that they would bring her to me.

I'm not sure if I should have her come in May, but I worry about her adjusting if I'm not home often. Or if I should wait until September, which makes me feel guilty about being away from her that long.
Yep, just me. Also just starting my career, so my salary is on the low end of course. Which means I don't really have the money to put my dog in daycare multiple times a week.
What kind of dog? You need to think of the dog's needs before your own wants. If it is a dog that needs human bonding, it stays with your parents. If it is a high energy dog, it stays with your parents. Can you get home every minimum 8 hours to let the dog out to go potty? If not, it stays with your parents. Is it a barker and will annoy your neighbors while you are gone late nights and weekends? If yes, it stays with your parents. Can you afford vet bills on your own? If no, it stays with your parents.

Do you have the time, energy, and money to properly care for this dog in May when you are working long hours and weekends? It doesn't sound like it. Leave it with your parents.

That said, there are some very reliable pet transport companies out there (not airlines, nope, don't fly your dog out) that you could use before September, so if you are ready, your choices are not only May and September.

What kind of dog? You need to think of the dog's needs before your own wants. If it is a dog that needs human bonding, it stays with your parents. If it is a high energy dog, it stays with your parents. Can you get home every minimum 8 hours to let the dog out to go potty? If not, it stays with your parents. Is it a barker and will annoy your neighbors while you are gone late nights and weekends? If yes, it stays with your parents. Can you afford vet bills on your own? If no, it stays with your parents.

Do you have the time, energy, and money to properly care for this dog in May when you are working long hours and weekends? It doesn't sound like it. Leave it with your parents.

That said, there are some very reliable pet transport companies out there (not airlines, nope, don't fly your dog out) that you could use before September, so if you are ready, your choices are not only May and September.
I never said I was thinking of my own wants. I have received lots of flack for "leaving my dog for so long" and that I should "make it work". I'm obviously very aware of the stress it may put on my dog and I put her needs above my own in all cases.

I know you said you don't have any time off yet, but between now and September you should be building some up. Could you take a long weekend maybe in June and go get your dog?

I'd be thanking my lucky stars that my parents were so graciously helping me and taking wonderful care of my dog. I'd leave the move until September.

I know you said you don't have any time off yet, but between now and September you should be building some up. Could you take a long weekend maybe in June and go get your dog?
I've considered this. But I still will only have a little bit of time, as I don't earn very much every week. I'm still looking into it though. My parents have quite a bit of time off, since they've been at their respective companies for so long so they already have the time requested.

I'd be thanking my lucky stars that my parents were so graciously helping me and taking wonderful care of my dog. I'd leave the move until September.
Oh I do. My dog is happy so I'm happy right now.

While I agree with your reasons that the dog would likely be better off staying with OP's parents, I can't understand why you phrased the bolded like you did. It implies that the OP isn't putting the dog first. Everything she's written leads me to believe that putting the dog first is exactly what's happening. Even the sentence "Or if I should wait until September, which makes me feel guilty about being away from her that long," suggests that the OP is focused on the dog, not herself. (Then it would have been something like,"Or if I should wait until September, because I miss her and want her here.")

OP, there's nothing wrong with choosing to keep your dog where she is being well cared for, even if it isn't with you. Ignore those trying to make you feel bad about your decision. It must be so hard to not have her with you, but you are showing great love for her by having her stay with your parents. I would probably have her stay there until September, so when she does arrive you know you will be able to give her more time and attention.

Something else to consider... if May is one of your "busier" times, is September also? You should be able to ask coworkers now.

Lots to think about...How long has the dog been with your parents? What was your routine with her before? How much of a change will it be in your new place?

I would highly recommend leaving your Pup with your parents. You need time to get in your work routine without leaving your pup home along for extended periods. As you said as your starting out you don't have the funds for the Doggie Day Care option. What your going through is common.

I grew up in at college town and sadly after graduation the pounds were full of dogs that were left behind as kids headed off to their new lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter