What would you do if your resort room was left open all day?

katmatry

Mouseketeer
Returned to our room after spending the day in the parks to find our room was left propped open by housekeeping all day.
When I reported to the cast members at the front desk his response was, “I’ll let housekeeping know” and he never apologized.
Housekeeping was apologetic and said they would look into it.
Nothing was taken from the room.
I’m annoyed this happened but I will let it go and continue to enjoy my vacation.
I’m just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or how you’d handle it if it happened to you?

After your trip ends, send a complaint to Disney via the guest services email. This exact thing happened to us years ago at the Beach Club Villas. Like you, we immediately reported the problem to the front desk, but got no real response. Our follow up email was taken much more seriously. We talked to multiple people to make sure that the issue would not happen to other guests, and we received a "redo" weekend to compensate us for the problem.

I have a small battery powered camera that I am thinking about taking with me on my next trip. I can put it in my room and be alerted when anyone enters. I have a wifi sharing program on my laptop so I link the camera to my laptop so the info does not go out over the DVC network.

I think that is a complaint best directed towards the hotel manager rather than a desk CM. The resort will usually leave a letter in your room with info on how to pass on feedback to the general manager. I would fill that out if you don't want to waste time looking for the manager during the day. Do it before you check out.

Tell them your $1000 Disney gift card was missing..... kidding of course. Like others have said, I would submit an official email complaint once home and see what they say.

ok maybe I'm the cranky old lady....I would be upset. Even if nothing was missing, but how do you know someone wasn't in the room touching things. It's not safe for housekeeping to clean but it's safe for perhaps a person to come in touch items unknown to me.

People were freaking when they put in the wall mounted shampoo because who knows what someone would do, but this is ok???

I'd be talking to manager.

Last edited:
This happened to me at AKL... Nothing was taken but I was really disturbed by it. My family had left a day earlier and the fact that I was staying in the room alone put me on edge. I complained to the front desk and later got a call from the manager, who wanted to give me some fastpasses (this was Feb 2020) to compensate me. I said, it's my last day, and I'm flying out tomorrow, I think it would be fair to give me a credit back toward my stay. They were reluctant but ended up giving me $100 off that night.

During my stay, I would email the general manager mailbox, such as WDW.GM.AnimalKingdomLodge@Disney.com, WDW.GM.PopCentury@disney.com, etc., and report it that way. In my experience, those mailboxes are monitored for in-stay issues and they respond right away.
^This is what I would do

Writing the email while on vacay- describing my current feelings about the lack of security in the hotel (they should have noticed a door propped open that long), the egregiously bad housekeeping (they literally failed doing the most basic and important thing) and the laissez-faire front desk making the entire situation worse- would let me feel like someone listened to my anger and would mentally help me let it go and get on with my trip.

Ask to speak to a Housekeeping manager. They can read the lock to determine who was the last person to "scan" into the room and left the door propped (provide a specific day/time frame). That way they can address the proper CM, fortunately nothing was missing but it is a lapse of security.

This happened to me at high end resort ( not Disney) I was very alarmed. Fortunately all cash/valuables were locked in a safe and nothing was taken. I immediately walked to the front desk and explained I’d been gone ( hours) and came back to a propped open room door. A manager came with me back to my room, called housekeeping spv who met us there. I received a very sincere apology by both and acknowledged that things can happen accidentally. I was polite but they knew that I was very “ flustered” by it. I did not Ask for anything,
However, the Manager asked if we wanted an immediate Upgrade to a Water front room ( which was not available when we originally booked mos back). They sent over the bellhop who transported our luggage, even hung our clothes on the traveling rack ( I packed up the bathroom stuff) and we spent the remainder of our vacation In the Upgraded suite. ( I think it was like 5 nights left. And let me say, that upgrade was Significant having paid for it before.
No, not Disney but that’s what a True Deluxe Resort considers customer satisfaction imho. .. over and above .. perhaps because we are repeat guests, idk.
Its important to address things head-on, politely explaining what occurred and how it impacted you. Leave the rest to them.
Don’t let it ruin the rest of ur vacation OP, but I’d ask for a Mgr/Supv now. Security is Pivotal to Confident and Comfortable Travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter