What word mispronounced drives you crazy??

Gyro. As in the Greek pita sandwich.

Drives me nuts.
Just for the sake of education Gyro is pronounce Your'os . The G is silent and you roll the "r". Ji-row does not cut it. If we can learn to say escargot instead of snail it seems like this should not be difficult. I was taught that by a Greek immigrant that opened a sandwich shop that had the natural Gyro from Greece. The meat seasoning and the sauce is awesome. I did find one place over the past 45 years that made them very much like his, but the meat didn't have the right seasoning. Close, but no cigar.

Pamphlet - around here - they say ‘Pamplet’

OP do you work for big tech? I was discussing this earlier with DH. 🤣 My pet peeve for a mispronounced word is often. I know dictionaries now provide two versions but the "t" should be silent. Otherwise words like soften, hasten, listen, fasten, etc. would sound really odd.

In a former life I owned a property mgmt company. Retained control of my first 2 buildings since they were used to me and vice a versa. A very vocal shareholder consistently mispronounced “proprietary lease” and said instead ”pituitary lease”.
One day, I told the Bd of Directors a donkey sent eviction papers to him demanding the gland back.

Not the only word he mispronounced but certainly the most memorable.

incomparable

It is not pronounced like compare, and for some reason I keep hearing it pronounced that way on TV. :scared:
:o Guilty as charged; I don't pronounce it in-comp-ra-ble. I didn't even know it had to be but I suppose that is correct from a phonetic standpoint.
This is regional in U.K. too.
How do you pronounce it? I don't personally know any Welshmen but on TGBBS I've noticed Mary Berry always said skon while Paul Hollywood says skown.
I swear the gyro sammich (just to annoy @SteveH) ;) is pronounced 17 different ways. In the US, I have found its pronunciation is different to the geographic location you are in.
Around here we just call them donairs and stay out of the fray. :duck:

My personal absolutely most despised mispronunciation isn't really one at all, its a purposeful colloquialism: taters. Why, just why? The word is poe-tay-toes and seriously people, it's not clever or funny. Unless you are Cletus on the Simpsons, if you say taters you are embarrassing yourself. And to actually type out mashed taters or sweet taters in a post discussing food? Somebody please call 911 - I'm having a heart attack. :faint:

:o Guilty as charged; I don't pronounce it in-comp-ra-ble. I didn't even know it had to be but I suppose that is correct from a phonetic standpoint.

How do you pronounce it? I don't personally know any Welshmen but on TGBBS I've noticed Mary Berry always said skon while Paul Hollywood says skown.

Around here we just call them donairs and stay out of the fray. :duck:

My personal absolutely most despised mispronunciation isn't really one at all, its a purposeful colloquialism: taters. Why, just why? The word is poe-tay-toes and seriously people, it's not clever or funny. Unless you are Cletus on the Simpsons, if you say taters you are embarrassing yourself. And to actually type out mashed taters or sweet taters in a post discussing food? Somebody please call 911 - I'm having a heart attack. :faint:

Or a hobbit.

I don't say taters but this cracks me up. It does sound hillbilly. Like totes or adorb (or totes adorb!) unless your 12 years old -- and I know a lot of 12 year olds, and they don't even use it -- you sound ridiculous.

However, I hope you don't need to call 9-1-1 when someone says they had these on the dinner table.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.07.45 PM.png

I don't know of another term except tater tots.

I don't say taters but this cracks me up. It does sound hillbilly. Like totes or adorb (or totes adorb!) unless your 12 years old -- and I know a lot of 12 year olds, and they don't even use it -- you sound ridiculous.

However, I hope you don't need to call 9-1-1 when someone says they had these on the dinner table.

View attachment 557524

I don't know of another term except tater tots.
:rotfl2:I uses terms like totes adorbs and on fleek when I reeeeealy need to irk my DS - sometimes he just has it coming, KWIM?

As for tater tots, that is perfectly acceptable given it is the actual proper name of the dish but you have given me a new idea :idea: for driving DS nuts by starting to refer to them as potato tots. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter