What was your first car/truck?

Here is Nicole and I's first car together. It's a 1978 Fiat 850 Special. What a car. This thing had a 2x4 across the front from one door to the other holding the seats in. There was a hole in the floor board behind the driver's seat that when it rained you had a fountain in the back. We took it up Mt. Etna(the volcano we lived on) and I had to stick my foot out and push like a scooter.:lmao: I loved that car. It would fit in the back of a pickup truck, and you could reach your arm across from the drivers seat and reach out the passenger window. And you can't tell from the pic. but it was hand painted with a brush and house paint. Ah, the good ol' days.

IMG-1.jpg

Mine was my moms old Chevy Caprise classic. I think it was a 1978 ?? Two tone mustard color.

Chad's was a beat up old Impala. It was huge, green, had a big dent in the front hood, you could hear it coming blocks away. I'll never forget when we took it to a beach about an hour away from home. There must have been 8 of us teenagers in the car (you remember how big those back seats were). We had to stop a few times on the way there and back to put water in the radiator to keep it from overheating. We also kept losing the radio unless we sat a certain way in the backseat over the speaker wires.

You know what though....we didn't mind a bit. We were 16 and thrilled to be going anywhere...not matter how beat up the car was. We both came from pretty poor families and Chad worked 30 hours a week all through high school just to be able to have a car. I wish we had a picture of it !!

Posting for dh...

His first car was a 72 Corona. It had a rusted out floor. He said the master cylinder leaked so bad that he had to keep a bottle of Crisco in the car to fill it up (much cheaper than break fluid :laughing: ). He sold that one and got an International Scout. He said it was ugly green, all metal and always had the top off. If it rained, he'd towel off the seat, take off and the rain would run out of it. :rotfl:

Humble beginnings I tell ya...

We also had a car with a rusted out bottom :rolleyes1 One of Chad's bosses gave it to him when he was 17. It was a piece of crap but it was transportation....know what I mean ?? You could see the road right through the passenger floor. It freaked me out at first, but I got used to it. I think he only had it a couple of months.

My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane Convertible with a 289 that I bought in 1972. It was navy blue with a white top & a light blue interior with navy carpeting. It looked boss, but was a true POS!! Everyday I wondered what the car would have in store for me. The worst thing that happened was when the brakes went out with absolutely no warning when I tried to stop to cross a busy highway. YIKES!! The second was that the zipper that held the back window in (some kind of plastic window) was dry-rotted and the first snowstorm found me digging snow out of the inside of the car!! Thankfully, Al was a great big brother & always baled me out when it came to repairs. I got rid of it in 1974 after moving to Florida & my then new DH said he didn't want to spend his life working on my car!!:rotfl:

Al's away for the weekend, so I'll answer for him. His was a 1961 Chevy Corvair that had rusted out floor boards and went thru fan belts quicker than it went thru gas. Another POS! When he was drafted into the Army, my mom inherited it. It lasted long enough for her to slide it down an embankment while turning on an icy road - due to the fact there the trunk was in the front & there was no weight to help the car grip the road.

Our dad had his "feelers" out when he purchased both cars. We never let dad help us choose cars after that!!

Started driving a 1974 Honda 750cc motorcycle (had to be doing more than 70 mph to get it to 5th gear, that thing would fly), then bought a used 1973 Ford Gran Torino two door that had only 73,000 miles on it. It had the 302 with automatic and bench seats. You got it, Starsky & Hutch style car :cool1: . Had that car until the rust on the sides started to get bad. When the junk man came to haul it away on the ramp truck, the sides split.

The next car was a 1974 Pontiac Firebird; frog green outside with white interior. When I went to the mechanic to figure out why the parts weren't matching on it, found it had been modified so that it could get better top end speed (terrible on the take off and MPG around town). I took it out on the highway and managed to peg the needle at around 155-160. Couldn't tell for sure because everything was shaking (including me) and I really didn't want to take my eyes off the road for long :scared1: . Pretty sure the speedometer was very inaccurate and I was not going that fast, but it was fun while it lasted. I think my guardian angel is on Prozac.

Did I mention how glad I am that my son's first car is a 1986 Dodge 12 passenger van? That thing might get to 80 mph downhill on a long stretch.

Like I said before mine was a 1969 Toyota Corona like this one but white. Blew the engine 2 times and then got a 1970 Ford Galaxy 4 dr. great "Parking" car.:thumbsup2

357274193_qBQrD-L.jpg

This was my best friends first car. Remember these?:scared1:

357274197_wtv7S-L.jpg

PACER!!! always made me think of a pregnant rollerskate!!!

Hey...for a pinto...that looks pretty darn sharp!!! Just dont rear end it!!!! KaBOOM!!!

Oh Scott, that is cool. My family had a lime green pinto when I was young.

If I had 2 of them now, I could use them as roller skates....:rotfl2:

My first car was a 71( I think ) Buick Centurion.Monst of the time people think that I mean a century but no, it was a centurion. I loked around to find a pic of one ( not mine)
buick.jpg
I could fit my friends plus Surfboards in this thing and fast is an understatement. Me and some friends were riding down the beach when a guy pulled up next to us and started tapping the gas. we took off and I'm sure his Girlfriend (that he was trying to impress ) gave him a hard time for a while when my junky looking buick pulled away from his Trans Am with the 6.6 liter motor. I still don't know if those cars were all that fast or if my Uncle that I got it from had left it a little tweaked. My dad was telling me that my uncle would tune it where he would stomp the gas and it would just sit there and burn up the tires ( he was a mechanic for PAN AM if anybody remembers them). A few years later ( and a couple of cars ) my brother bought an 84 Trans Am when he got out of boot camp and I took his 70 something Pontiac Le Manns. I lked it because it looked like a GTO .

Oh Scott, that is cool. My family had a lime green pinto when I was young.

If I had 2 of them now, I could use them as roller skates....:rotfl2:

My family had a two-tone orange and yellow Pinto when I was gorwing up. I always remember my Dad complaining about and the phrase Put In Neutral Tow Often being a joke about the car

There were a few "first" cars I drove when I just turned 16.

One was a Mercury Montego Station Wagon - HUUUGGGE - 70's
The other was a Ford Maverick - 70s
Another junker that was floatin around the house was a Pinto Station Wagon - late 70s

The first car I actually owned with the title in my name was a 78 Toyota Corolla two door, 4-speed. (Try putting two car seats in the back seat of one of those!!)

Before that my first husband had a 79 Ford Grenada and we bought an 85 Plymouth Duster brand new (in his name)

1983 Chevy Chevette...that thing was slower than Jen's golf cart!

:rotfl2: Remind me to tell you what fun it was when we went to pick up Jen's golf cart when she first bought it. . .:rotfl2:

First car I regularly drove - 1971 Pontiac Grand Prix. I never lost a race!
First car I owned - 1972 Dodge Charger.

I've always had the need for speed!

1970 SS Chevelle Saved my money for 3 yrs LOL it was fast!!! 396CI

ACFD28.jpg

Wish I still had her.

NICE!!! Where was that pic taken, doesn't look like Florida... LOL

:rotfl2: Remind me to tell you what fun it was when we went to pick up Jen's golf cart when she first bought it. . .:rotfl2:

First car I regularly drove - 1971 Pontiac Grand Prix. I never lost a race!
First car I owned - 1972 Dodge Charger.

I've always had the need for speed!

Yes, well, we shall forget about that, shall we?

Now Lisa just has two children that want to drive her fast cars! HA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter