What to expect on "grad nite"?

oceanscape

DIS Veteran
We have only ONE day to do DCA/DL on Monday 18 May.

Just checked the timetable online and found out it is Grad Nite! What does that mean? Can we expect HUGE crowds? :(

I have been "wondering" the same thing. :confused3 Thinking about going in May, 2016, but concerned about grad night crowds as well. :scared1: THANKS!:goodvibes

I am going June 2nd - June 6th and have 3 Grad Nights out of the 4 days I will be at the parks when I'm there. I'm a little concerned too.

I am going June 2nd - June 6th and have 3 Grad Nights out of the 4 days I will be at the parks when I'm there. I'm a little concerned too.

Yes...us, too. Trying to avoid grad nites, but it's really limiting us!
From what I read on other threads is that the grads generally don't flock to the parks until later in the afternoon and evening. We do not know this from first-hand experience though.
So, if you get an early start to the day, that will help.
The best of luck to all of us! ;)

We had a Grad Night on our trip last May, and it was interesting to see. The morning was quiet, the buses were still on their way. We were able to do lots of rides in both parks before noon. In the afternoon, Grads started streaming in and the demographic got a little closer to Knots Berry Farm. We went on THE LOUDEST ride ever in the Haunted Mansion, the Fast Passes on all the rides got snapped up quickly, and there were groups of happy laughing kids everywhere to maneuver around. Also, we spotted cops and dogs sweeping the Mad Tea Party area looking for who knows what before the kids arrived. So, enjoy the quiet morning, plan to watch a show during the evening, like Aladdin, instead of riding Tower Of Terror. For good seats for WOC, consider a Carthay Circle dining package, which has it's own reserved 'standing area' where it is unlikely you'll have many grads to deal with. Have fun!!

I really don't think Grad nights are a big deal at all. I was there for two of them on one trip the first year they did the current format of giving all day passes and the crowds seemed heavier on the regular days without grad night. It didn't get overly crowded teenager wise till the afternoon and of course the evening but the morning was great and really it wasn't a huge difference. I think more people avoid the grad nights and make the days between them more crowded.

As for the kids, I only saw one negative thing and that was small as one kid out of excitement let a curse word fly at the top of her lungs but her friends immediately got on her and she apologized to those around her.

I am a HS teacher so I am used to being around teenagers so that certainly will effect my view of things and I usually leave the parks around the time of the night time entertainment or right after because DD was 3 at the time of that trip (6 now) so closing the parks didn't work for us. So I wasn't there for the late night teenage crowds. I could certainly see that being a little crazier.

Also I made sure to get all the big ticket rides done early so as the teen crowds got bigger we were doing other attractions that would be less appealing to them so that also helped things along.

I've been to Disneyland on many Grad Nights over the last few years. Early June just works for us trip wise. While I would avoid them like I would avoid ANY special day I agree that they are not a trip killer. There are some people who have had very bad experiences with the grads, but there are just as many who have bad experiences with adults.

From my experience (and I've read similar things here) Fri and Sat Grad Nights are the busiest (no shocker there really). For Grad days we do the following: go to the parks early and hit the thrill rides early - basically think like a grad and do the stuff you think they would want to do early. Plan a nice dinner and go to shows that day/night - or just spend time outside of the park if there are things like that you want to do anyway (more pool time, shopping, etc.). If you have a park hopper just move around if there are waves of teenagers all of a sudden.

The grads get their own showing of WOC after regular guests are gone so I would think if you want to see a night show you should see that one as grads in the park would favor Fantasmic. Having said all this - I have small kids so we're usually not at the parks super late - so that is also helpful for us crowd wise.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Just checked the timetable online and found out it is Grad Nite! What does that mean? Can we expect HUGE crowds? :(

This is us exactly! We could do the Sunday (big crowds) or the Monday (grad night). We chose the Monday in hopes we can do more in the morning. Our kids are little and it's our first California trip so I hope bunch of loud grads don't suck the fun out!!

We will be there on May 18 also. I was glad there was only one grad night planned during the week. I have been there during grad nights before, and it's not so bad. Keep in mind that the high school grads may show up as the day goes one, but during that time of year it's not uncommon to see school groups of all kind during the days, a lot of 8th graders, etc. and they tend to show up early and leave in the afternoon. The park will still be less busy on May 18 than in late June to early August. Just follow typical best practices: get to the park early, use FPs, eat at off times, etc.

I've booked a trip which means that we'll be in Anaheim from 18 May 2016 to 24 May 2016. I had planned to visit Disneyland and California Adventure on four days during this period.

It seems that the grad days/nights during this period in 2016 will be on the following dates: 18, 20, 21 and 23.

Based on the information for 2015 (http://www.best-california-vacation.com/disneyland-hours-may.html), it also appears that each of the parks regularly closes early for grad nights (i.e. as early as 6pm).

I live in Australia, so I'd never even heard of grad days/nights before I started "googling" the park operating hours in May 2016. Have I made a huge mistake?

This trip was meant to be a chance to really enjoy and experience the two theme parks as on a previous trip in 2012 we only had time to spend around four hours in each park. But, it seems like I've chosen one of the worst possible times to visit with larger crowds and significantly reduced operating hours.

It's too late to change the trip dates now, but can anyone offer any guidance for a strategy to deal with grad days/nights?

I've booked a trip which means that we'll be in Anaheim from 18 May 2016 to 24 May 2016. I had planned to visit Disneyland and California Adventure on four days during this period.

It seems that the grad days/nights during this period in 2016 will be on the following dates: 18, 20, 21 and 23.

Based on the information for 2015 (http://www.best-california-vacation.com/disneyland-hours-may.html), it also appears that each of the parks regularly closes early for grad nights (i.e. as early as 6pm).

I live in Australia, so I'd never even heard of grad days/nights before I started "googling" the park operating hours in May 2016. Have I made a huge mistake?

This trip was meant to be a chance to really enjoy and experience the two theme parks as on a previous trip in 2012 we only had time to spend around four hours in each park. But, it seems like I've chosen one of the worst possible times to visit with larger crowds and significantly reduced operating hours.

It's too late to change the trip dates now, but can anyone offer any guidance for a strategy to deal with grad days/nights?

I went this year and there were 3 Grad Nights while I was there at the beginning of June this year. The mornings are great! It does get more congested with the Grads around 4:00 pm and on into the evening. Some people don't even notice them and it doesn't make a difference. The grads can come all day but "Grad Night" really doesn't start until 10:00 pm at California Adventure. I do not know why they would close California Adventure at 6:00 pm? That is really early! They were open until 10:00 for the the 3 Grads Night when I was there. Get there for rope drop first thing in the morning you will get so much in and it will be great! I can't stress to you enough - get there early and you will be fine!!!

I've been there for 3 grad nites over the last 3 years. On the days of grad nites we really didn't notice the teens until later in the afternoon. So we start our morning in DL and hope over to DCA around lunch time since the grads tend to start arrving by noon and they usually start their day in DL. Then around dinner we hop back to DL as the grads start to gather in DCA for their party. We've never had any issues with the grads and we are planning on going on 2 grad nites this summer as well.

Only DCA will close early for the grad night as that is where they get their private party. I dont remember it being as early as 6pm but maybe it was. I thought it was more like 8. DL will still have its normal hours so no need to worry about it closing.

The 6 pm closings were due to DLR having to prepare for the 60th Anniversary kick-off. They had nothing to do with Grad Nites.

We were there for 3 Grad Nites this year. My advice would be to make sure you do what is most important to you during the morning/early afternoon hours. Once the sun starts to set, it's a whole new ballgame (at least at California Adventure). One of the nights we chose to view World of Color. That was not a problem. The mistake we made was using our RSR FP after the show. Apparently there is a Grad Nite dance party that takes place in Cars Land. I'd avoid that area at all costs in the evening. It was CRAZY! We were directed out of Cars Land through Bugs Land and out through Hollywood Land, where there was also a dance party.

There were masses of teens screaming at the top of their lungs as they walked down the street. It was unlike any noise I have ever heard before. My daughter was absolutely terrified. She was actually crying as we were trying to get back to the Grand Californian. Apparently there is no longer a dress code, as we saw many kids dressed (and acting) like thugs and many girls barely dressed at all. Between the constant screaming and the banging on trash cans, it was a miserable, painful place to be.

So my advice, do your priorities at CA in the morning/early afternoon, and after the sun begins to set, head to Disneyland.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Okay, so the really early closures in 2015 were for 60th anniversary not because of the "grad nights"? That makes me feel a bit better. I was worrying that my four day pass wouldn't represent great value for money if the parks closed as early as 6pm on multiple days!

I'm still a little confused about the concept of grad nights - does California Adventure close early on EVERY grad night (i.e. 18, 20, 21 and 23 of May 2016) or does it only close early on some grad nights? It seems a little bizarre and ... unfair to me that one of the parks would close early so frequently, especially for international visitors who wouldn't even be aware of events like grad nights. Or maybe, as 2boysmom1998 indicated, they don't close early at all?

Unfortunately, we have already purchased our tickets and they do not permit park hopping, so going from California Adventure to Disneyland on grad nights won't be an option for us. It means that our Disney experience will be cut short on the nights that California Adventure closes early (although we'll obviously try to avoid going to CA on the grad days/nights for that reason).

I will definitely make sure we're at each of the parks before opening. But, but I do that for any park whenever we visit - there's no such thing as too much Disney!

Okay, so the really early closures in 2015 were for 60th anniversary not because of the "grad nights"? That makes me feel a bit better. I was worrying that my four day pass wouldn't represent great value for money if the parks closed as early as 6pm on multiple days!

I'm still a little confused about the concept of grad nights - does California Adventure close early on EVERY grad night (i.e. 18, 20, 21 and 23 of May 2016) or does it only close early on some grad nights? It seems a little bizarre and ... unfair to me that one of the parks would close early so frequently, especially for international visitors who wouldn't even be aware of events like grad nights. Or maybe, as 2boysmom1998 indicated, they don't close early at all?

Unfortunately, we have already purchased our tickets and they do not permit park hopping, so going from California Adventure to Disneyland on grad nights won't be an option for us. It means that our Disney experience will be cut short on the nights that California Adventure closes early (although we'll obviously try to avoid going to CA on the grad days/nights for that reason).

I will definitely make sure we're at each of the parks before opening. But, but I do that for any park whenever we visit - there's no such thing as too much Disney!

You can add the park hopper option to your tickets!

I hate grad nites. I have been at the parks for 8 grad nites in 2 years. I refuse to do it again. I actually didn't renew my pass because I hated that my expiration date was late May and would always want 1 last trip.

About 75% of the time I was on splash mountain the ride operator was on the speaker telling the grads not to shake the boat and to sit down. They refused to listen. The music for the ride was turned off so that the operator could talk. I was so pissed. In addition to that the grads will scream so loud on haunted mansion and tower of Terror and talk over the ride sound affects.

If you want to go on any ride with a picture (especially tower of terror) be prepared for the ride picture to be blacked out from the teens doing innapropriate things. This has happened so much to us. They ruined the chance for me to get my son's picture from the first time he rode tower of terror.

It's unlikely the park will close early. It typically stays open until the official start of the grad party (10pm.) After 10 (which would be typical midweek closing anyway), non-party guests need to leave the park. But it's not the hours that are the concern, it's the crowd flow. Crowds will start building in DL in the afternoon and continue through the evening. DCA will get some of them in the afternoon but it's the evening when things really pick up.

You have a lot of grad nights during your vacation. I'm not typically one who thinks parkhoppers are a must-do. But given how far you are coming and how many nights occur during your stay, you may want to re-evaluate purchasing them. It will give you more flexibility to react to crowd levels instead of being locked into a park.

**Edit to add. I personally have never had a bad experience with grad nights. Others have but also many, many have not. Don't get frazzled about them before you go. Just expect a lot of teens.

I'd recommend upgrading to Park hoppers. They are more important when grad nites are going on IMO. You'll want the flexability of being able to move btwn the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter