What to do when it rains

Mommy2Logan

Mouseketeer
We are going on Wed. Looks like rain is in the forecast every day we are there for this short trip. What activities are there to do:
1. At Aulani when it rains.
2. On the Island when it rains.

We were only planning on having a rental car one of the days but we may change that if needed.

More than likely, it’ll just be passing morning and afternoon showers in the vallies of the Koolau areas. Aulani is on the leeward side of the Waianae range and is usually not affected, despite what weather.com says.

If it does rain, though, Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum would be my indoor picks. Windward Mall, and to a lesser extent Kahala Mall, have a good number of unique, locally owned and operated stores. In Kapolei, there’s a Chuck E. Cheese, Johnny Rockets w/ a Game Center, and a slime store ... because who doesn’t want to fly across an ocean to go to Chuck E. Cheese lol j/k.

Just wanted to add that The Honolulu Academy of Arts and Hawaii State Art Museum are great pics as well but not too interesting for little ones.

Last edited:
Rain on Oahu is usually highly localized. It could be raining in Waikiki but perfectly dry at Aulani. The North Shore and Kailua are also very different climates. I'd just check the local weather that day and head for the sunny spots.

Thanks for the replies. I think the forecast is mainly based off the Tropical Storm Kiko expected to become a hurricane. If the outbands come close to Hawaii, I think we could see more than localized rain, but I'm going to keep my hopes up. I know when I have gone to Kauai over the years, it pretty much shows rain every day even it it only rains an hour.

At Aulani, you can do activities in the Pau Hana room, go swimming (because you're already wet...), SUP in the lagoon, indoor art tour, indoor Menehune Adventure Trail, rent a movie, go on a day trip somewhere...

We live where it rains a lot, so it doesn't phase us much. We'd still go hiking or to a park or whatever, even in the rain. If we had a picnic planned, we may change to something else in the water, like surfing, or somewhere dry, like a museum.

We have been to aulani several times. In May. It tends to rain a little almost every day. But we usually just hang out at pool under the umbrella until it passes. Or if the weather looks crummy all day we will go into kapolei to a movie. But we have been around Oahu many times and aren’t interested in most indoor activities on the islAnd.

We were fortunate to not experience rain, but if we had, I might consider visiting Waikiki. Shopping along the strip, stopping in the different hotels for drinks or just to check them out. Maybe visiting Ala Moana Center. The strip and even the mall are not entirely under cover, but if its not a deluge, I think it would be manageable with an umbrella since you'd be going in and out of buildings presumably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter