What to do on resort days w/ 2 little kids @ Poly?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Heading to the Poly villas from Oct 4-8 with 2 small kids (ages 18 mo and 5) and forgot about the anniversary crowds when we booked. SIGH. So I am planning on only 2 park days and 2 resort days. If that. Crowds with a drunk tiny person aka toddler are pretty miserable.

Anything we should do at Poly or monorail resorts? What kind of fun adventures could I do with them while solo parenting (husband just got a new job so will be teleworking)?

Splash pad, pools at Poly are awesome and my 5 yr old loved them as a toddler. Thinking of taking big kiddo to TRex at Disney Springs. Maybe a monorail adventure?

The Monorail adventure sounds like a great idea. You might want to get off at the Contemporary, get a snack at Contempo Cafe (if they let non-CR guests order) or one of the shops, and sit on the concourse level and watch the monorails go through, maybe trying to see how many different monorail stripe colors you can see. Then, if the CR/Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness boat is running, ride over to Fort Wilderness and visit the horses at Tri-Circle-D. You could also stop at Wilderness Lodge and explore the lobby (totem poles, huge fireplace, and lots of stairways leading to interesting nooks and balconies) and the waterfront area (maybe time it so you can see the geyser).

The Monorail adventure sounds like a great idea. You might want to get off at the Contemporary, get a snack at Contempo Cafe (if they let non-CR guests order) or one of the shops, and sit on the concourse level and watch the monorails go through, maybe trying to see how many different monorail stripe colors you can see. Then, if the CR/Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness boat is running, ride over to Fort Wilderness and visit the horses at Tri-Circle-D. You could also stop at Wilderness Lodge and explore the lobby (totem poles, huge fireplace, and lots of stairways leading to interesting nooks and balconies) and the waterfront area (maybe time it so you can see the geyser).
Omg I forgot about all the fun boat transport options on Seven Seas Lagoon! Wonderful ideas, thank you.

Why not do a late character breakfast somewhere on the monorail loop. At 5 my girls also loved riding the monorail to GF from the poly to shop at the basin and other stores there then vice versa when we stayed at GF and going to the poly to shop and dole whip. We then would swim the rest of the day eating dole whips. Also at that age mine loved the oasis pool. Was nice to go there with the zero entry and just chill after the overstimulation of the other.

If you don't mind resort hopping (off the monorail loop), you might consider resort hopping to AKL to see the animals.

But if you want to stay on the monorail loop (or close to it), how about Fort Wilderness? Don't they have horses / ponies at the Tri-Circle D Ranch? Plus they have a nice outdoor eating area.

Or you can cancel and go when your husband can join the family and the anniversary crowds aren't there. Just a thought.

Your biggest concern may be handling two smaller kids, plus a stroller and all the stuff that goes along with taking younger kids to the parks/shopping/dining while on Disney Transportation.

Or you can cancel and go when your husband can join the family and the anniversary crowds aren't there. Just a thought.

Your biggest concern may be handling two smaller kids, plus a stroller and all the stuff that goes along with taking younger kids to the parks/shopping/dining while on Disney Transportation.
We rented DVC points with a nonrefundable 50% deposit… sigh :/

I’ve never done it before but I’ve read that people go all out decorating their campsites at the fort for Halloween. Some people go just to see the decorations. Might be something the kids enjoy.

No chance your husband can make being off part of his hiring? I’d allow it if a new employee was up front.

for me I’d do 4 park days and head back to resort to swim mid afternoon each day. I’d find taking kids to MK much easier than a long day of non park days that I had to fill up.

If you don't mind resort hopping (off the monorail loop), you might consider resort hopping to AKL to see the animals.

But if you want to stay on the monorail loop (or close to it), how about Fort Wilderness? Don't they have horses / ponies at the Tri-Circle D Ranch? Plus they have a nice outdoor eating area.

Yes, I would recommend doing this. OP could take the boat from MK to Ft. W. There is a playground near the boat dock. P&J's Take-out has great food and the stable is a short walk away. There are pony rides available for younger children. You could also walk or take the internal bus shuttle to the Meadow area and do some gem mining.

We rented DVC points with a nonrefundable 50% deposit… sigh :/

Not really answering your question - and I didn’t do it when mine were quite as young as your youngest, but my kids are similar years apart and I travel to Disney solo with them frequently. Poly has always been a go to on those trips because it’s just so convenient and easy to manage with two little ones. Well nothing it “that” easy at that age, but you get the point. We’d be doing a lot of pool/zero entry/splash pad time if this were us. And lots of great ideas above too.

You got this.

Rent a double stroller, maybe one that is not wide, but goes length-wise instead. The non-park days, you can just relax, sleep in, etc. Then go to Ft. Wilderness on one day and then AK Lodge on the other, although there are reports that certain rooms are being canceled (people being moved) due to construction going there.

My kids were about that age when they took their first trip. I was also semi solo because dad was working during the day. It really wasn't too bad to wrangle them by myself. The 2 year old did run from the first ride line but once he figured out line = ride, he followed the rules.

Park day followed by a rest day is an awesome strategy and we followed it for years. I think it helps with meltdowns. You've had good suggestions so far. They'll probably be most excited by the pool so I wouldn't plan too much else.

If you have the space in your budget, you could look into a theme park nanny/mother's helper for a few hours here and there. I started learning a bit more about agencies that offer those services but I haven't done a ton of research about it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter