What to do in NY in January

BelleF

Earning My Ears
Hi Disers!!!
We’re travelling to NY after Orlando this year, and I’m super excited!! We’ve been there in October 2015 and we did most of the typical things: MET, Natural History, Central Park, Top of the Rock, Empire State, Memorial, Highline, Broadway bridge, Chelsea Market and all the musicals I could fit in our schedule (yes, I’m a theatre nerd and proud of it :laughing:)
What do you suggest for this second visit??? We’ll be there for 5 days, and our plans so far are going to the MOMA, and DUMBO in Brooklyn.
Any tips or suggestions will be really appreciated!
Thanks and happy new year!

sounds like you got it going on, If it were me I might want to go see a couple TV programs being taped (or live)

Some ideas:
- Radio City Backstage tour
- Disney on Broadway tour
- NBC Studio tour
- Lincoln Center tour
- United Nations
- The Intrepid
- The Cloisters
- Ice skating at Bryant Park
- NY Public Library (Don’t miss the real Winnie the Pooh and friends in the children’s room.)
- NY Botanical Gardens, in the Bronx - Holiday Train Show runs through 1/15
- Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens

There’s a bunch of other art museums in the city: The Guggenheim, The Whitney, Cooper Hewitt, Frick Collection, New Museum, MOMA PS1.. my friend recently went to the Morgan Library and thought it was incredible. The above poster mentioned the Cloisters which is definitely a unique and wonderful museum.

I went to the Tenement Museum earlier this year and found it really interesting.

If this is an adult trip, since you are a theatre nerd I highly recommend a bar called Marie’s Crisis- it’s a piano bar where everyone gathers around and belts out show tunes. It’s a ton of fun!

I’d also recommend looking at a list of events for your dates from TimeOut NY and the Village Voice.. there is always something interesting going on in the city.

We are leaving at the end of the month for 9 days, I am so excited!!!

We just got tickets to see the Downtown Abbey exhibit, so excited.
We are doing a bunch of shows, we love Broadway.
There is a play called Perfect Crime we are seeing, that has been around for years and years with the same actress.
Tiffany has a new cafe called Blue Box Cafe, been trying to get a reservation for this place, its like trying to win the lottery.
Have you seen the 911 museum? We did that 2 years ago, a must see.
There is a comedy place with improv that has great A list comedians appear spur of the moment its called A**Cats (won;t let me type out name. )This place is great Sunday night shows at 730pm $12 a person, tickets go fast, you can purchase 2 weeks before.
A lot of the Saturday night cast just shows up sometimes. Its the funniest night you can spend.
We are doing a Brooklyn Food bus tour. We are going to Arthur Avenue to the real Little Italy.

Have fun!!

_1ejcD4OP7QOLi7aDow2XfTkc_22SEkvzoojC3KlUlxTDI45gNqEPSexFeiW64GFtgMfDvjHZXUrJIgW0Ekj8lW4nqfRjEBZxOdUER9OgxH_STArfICVEw=s0-d-e1-ft

_1ejcD4OP7QOLi7aDow2XfTkc_22SEkvzoojC3KlUlxTDI45gNqEPSexFeiW64GFtgMfDvjHZXUrJIgW0Ekj8lW4nqfRjEBZxOdUER9OgxH_STArfICVEw=s0-d-e1-ft

Here's a list of things happening in January 2018!

sounds like you got it going on, If it were me I might want to go see a couple TV programs being taped (or live)

That's a good idea, I'll check it! Thank you!

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are a must. Catch the ferry at Battery Park or Liberty State Park in NJ

We did it the last time, but we may take the ferry at Battery Park for a different view. Thank you!

Ice skating? Since all the winter rinks are out.

We'll definitely go watch people skate, and maybe try it...although it may not be a good idea considering the times I fell down the first time I tried ice skating

Some ideas:
- Radio City Backstage tour
- Disney on Broadway tour
- NBC Studio tour
- Lincoln Center tour
- United Nations
- The Intrepid
- The Cloisters
- Ice skating at Bryant Park
- NY Public Library (Don’t miss the real Winnie the Pooh and friends in the children’s room.)
- NY Botanical Gardens, in the Bronx - Holiday Train Show runs through 1/15
- Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens

Oooh that's a whole lot of things!!! Definitely going to the Public Library and checkin that Winnie the Pooh, and also you reminded me that a friend mentioned the Cloisters, so we'll probably go too. Thanks a lot!!

There’s a bunch of other art museums in the city: The Guggenheim, The Whitney, Cooper Hewitt, Frick Collection, New Museum, MOMA PS1.. my friend recently went to the Morgan Library and thought it was incredible. The above poster mentioned the Cloisters which is definitely a unique and wonderful museum.

I went to the Tenement Museum earlier this year and found it really interesting.

If this is an adult trip, since you are a theatre nerd I highly recommend a bar called Marie’s Crisis- it’s a piano bar where everyone gathers around and belts out show tunes. It’s a ton of fun!

I’d also recommend looking at a list of events for your dates from TimeOut NY and the Village Voice.. there is always something interesting going on in the city.

My boyfriend is not really into museums, but I loved the idea of the bar and that is something I know he'll enjoy as well, so looking forward to go. Thank you!

We've done two tours at the Tenement Museum and can't wait for a third! Little Italy is just a short walk from there too.

Thank you! I'll do some reserch about it.

There's a Downton Abbey exhibit going on right now. We're going next month but a few friends have been and really enjoyed it.

https://www.downtonexhibition.com/

Ooh I loooooove Downton Abbey! I'm not sure if I can drag the rest of my party there but I'm gonna try for sure!!

We are leaving at the end of the month for 9 days, I am so excited!!!

We just got tickets to see the Downtown Abbey exhibit, so excited.
We are doing a bunch of shows, we love Broadway.
There is a play called Perfect Crime we are seeing, that has been around for years and years with the same actress.
Tiffany has a new cafe called Blue Box Cafe, been trying to get a reservation for this place, its like trying to win the lottery.
Have you seen the 911 museum? We did that 2 years ago, a must see.
There is a comedy place with improv that has great A list comedians appear spur of the moment its called A**Cats (won;t let me type out name. )This place is great Sunday night shows at 730pm $12 a person, tickets go fast, you can purchase 2 weeks before.
A lot of the Saturday night cast just shows up sometimes. Its the funniest night you can spend.
We are doing a Brooklyn Food bus tour. We are going to Arthur Avenue to the real Little Italy.

Have fun!!

Thank you! Definitely taking note of the places and plays.
We've been to the 911 museum, maybe we'll go to the One World observatory this time. Thank you!

Here's a list of things happening in January 2018!

Good, I'll check it out. Thank you very much!!!

I second the "Marie's Crisis" vote!! I've been twice. It's a little basement "hole in the wall" and you are unlikely to find a seat but it's a blast! I was told that a lot of theatre ensemble members hang out there after shows and from the quality of the singing I heard, I believe it!

My husband's family lives in Manhattan and we try to do a new tourist attraction on some of our visits (some are family only). Here are some places that we have enjoyed that may not have been mentioned yet.

Broadway Walking tour (insidebroadwaytours.com or broadwayupclose.com)
The Ride (experiencetheride.com)
Wall ST Walk and visit to the Museum of American Finance
Anne Frank Center of Mutual Respect
Night time narratated bus tour (when there is no hop on/hop off) - We did one that went to Brooklyn

Hibernate.

Sorry, I'm cold. I'm tired of being cold. It's going to get colder.

(You have lots of good suggestions but all I'm trying to do is figure out how to get OUT of NY in January right now)

Hibernate.

(You have lots of good suggestions but all I'm trying to do is figure out how to get OUT of NY in January right now)

LOL, when I first saw the thread I thought- stay in the cabin or the ski lodge by the fire while the rest of the family was out there freezing their buns off. Then I saw it was suggestions for NYC and I thought- don't go, stay where it is warm and visit in April!

The Lower Eastside Tenement Musuem is my favorite.....and I love the Transit Museum (in Brooklyn). It's a history of the subway system and it's housed in no-longer-used station. On the track level, they have subway cars going all the way back in history....its very cool, even the adds are relevant to each time period. I used to take my students here on field trips, but really its good for all ages...as adults, you'll want to spend more time at the exhibits reading the info. I also love the Museum of the City of New York....always great exhibits and they change often.

If you want good Italian food in Manhattan, go to Carmines on the Upper West Side. This is where Woody Allen used to hang out back in the day. But that's not the point....the point is it is fabulous, old school family style Italian and lots of it! The suggestion of places are Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is a good one for Italian...City Island (in the Bronx) and Astoria are also good Italian neighborhoods.

You can also visit the Columbia University campus at 116/B-Way....the main quadrangle is featured in a ton of movies (and most recently it's where Midge's dad is a professor in the Amazon Prime original "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" --just an aside0. If you do go up to the campus, you can get a slice (of pizza) larger than your head at Koronet Pizza on 114/B-Way for about 3.50 a slice and you've never seen pizza so big and foldable (seriously)...it's pretty good pizza too. If you go a little further down B-Way to about 112th, you'll find Tom's Diner (which was used as the external shot for Monk's Cafe in Seinfeld). Head down B-way to the mid-80's and you'll find Harry's Shoes....every single style and brand you'd ever want and a few blocks further south...you'll hit Zabars....best place for take-out deli and gourmet yummy stuff in town.

If you are venturing into Brooklyn, check out the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park (also designed by Frederick Law Olmstead along with elements of Central Park in Manhattan)... take the 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza for both. Also, while you are in Park Slope, take some time to wander the neighborhood--lots of great restaurants on 7th and 5th avenue. Check out Ozzie's coffee shop (also on both)....

Back in Manhattan, did you mention the Highline Park?

My husband's family lives in Manhattan and we try to do a new tourist attraction on some of our visits (some are family only). Here are some places that we have enjoyed that may not have been mentioned yet.

Night time narratated bus tour (when there is no hop on/hop off) - We did one that went to Brooklyn

When I read your post, I remembered that we wanted to do The Ride last time! We may try it now. Thank you!!!

Hibernate.

LOL, when I first saw the thread I thought- stay in the cabin or the ski lodge by the fire while the rest of the family was out there freezing their buns off. Then I saw it was suggestions for NYC and I thought- don't go, stay where it is warm and visit in April!

Hahahaaaaa I believe you!! It’s summer here at home, so I’m definitely looking forward to some cold. Of course when I’m there I will be wishing it’s warmer but it’s still vacation!!

The Lower Eastside Tenement Musuem is my favorite.....and I love the Transit Museum (in Brooklyn). It's a history of the subway system and it's housed in no-longer-used station. On the track level, they have subway cars going all the way back in history....its very cool, even the adds are relevant to each time period. I used to take my students here on field trips, but really its good for all ages...as adults, you'll want to spend more time at the exhibits reading the info. I also love the Museum of the City of New York....always great exhibits and they change often.

If you want good Italian food in Manhattan, go to Carmines on the Upper West Side. This is where Woody Allen used to hang out back in the day. But that's not the point....the point is it is fabulous, old school family style Italian and lots of it! The suggestion of places are Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is a good one for Italian...City Island (in the Bronx) and Astoria are also good Italian neighborhoods.

You can also visit the Columbia University campus at 116/B-Way....the main quadrangle is featured in a ton of movies (and most recently it's where Midge's dad is a professor in the Amazon Prime original "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" --just an aside0. If you do go up to the campus, you can get a slice (of pizza) larger than your head at Koronet Pizza on 114/B-Way for about 3.50 a slice and you've never seen pizza so big and foldable (seriously)...it's pretty good pizza too. If you go a little further down B-Way to about 112th, you'll find Tom's Diner (which was used as the external shot for Monk's Cafe in Seinfeld). Head down B-way to the mid-80's and you'll find Harry's Shoes....every single style and brand you'd ever want and a few blocks further south...you'll hit Zabars....best place for take-out deli and gourmet yummy stuff in town.

If you are venturing into Brooklyn, check out the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park (also designed by Frederick Law Olmstead along with elements of Central Park in Manhattan)... take the 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza for both. Also, while you are in Park Slope, take some time to wander the neighborhood--lots of great restaurants on 7th and 5th avenue. Check out Ozzie's coffee shop (also on both)....

Thank you for your suggestions!! We’re staying in a hotel 1 o 2 blocks from Zabars and I really want to try their bagels...they look really yummy!!
We did the Highline and Prospect park last time, but we may go again that way, or go to Columbia campus...thanks again!!

The Ride is a hoot!!!

I see you mentioned Prospect Park, how far is that from Arthur Ave? Is it walkable? There is a restaurant called Butterfunk I'm dying to go to and try his Lemonade buttermilk chicken. He is on Top Chef and won a challenge with this dish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter