What strange things are you noticing in your area?

Except for the few people walking with masks on their faces, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I shop at a few different stores, and they are fairly well stocked. Toilet Paper gone in all of them. Nobody seems to be too concerned about catching anything. They are just going about their business.

I’m amazed at how much more I’m seeing of my kids. and I love it! My kids (especially older ones) are usually out at some activity and then like to disappear to their rooms when they’re home, but they’ve been hanging out together and asking to watch movies and play games with dh and me! Very odd. Usually I get like 2 words a day from my teenager...

I went shopping today. Besides the usual stuff (TP, hand sanitizer, disinfectant), there was no ground beef, no chicken, no rice, no beans, no noodles of any kind, no eggs, no frozen veggies or frozen potato products. It was crazy. I went to 3 stores to find the ingredients for my dinners. I finally found ground beef at Aldi.

Opposite here. Processed food as far as the eyes can see but low on fresh fruit and veggies.

I’m amazed at how much more I’m seeing of my kids. and I love it! My kids (especially older ones) are usually out at some activity and then like to disappear to their rooms when they’re home, but they’ve been hanging out together and asking to watch movies and play games with dh and me! Very odd. Usually I get like 2 words a day from my teenager...
That's just awesome!

Their is an eerie quietness, and I dont like it
Away from the central shopping areas, yes it is. Drove out to the kids, they're about half an hour away. Mom works at Lowes (said it was a nightmare today as well) and even though I saw plenty of other cars on the road (rural) and saw people occasionally out in their yards/driveways it still seemed eerily quiet.

I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a lady at the self checkout (the bigger ones that have a conveyor belt) with THREE carts filled about a foot higher than the top, along with the rack underneath each cart filled to the brim. And not with large items, but with regular groceries- hundreds of cans and boxes and jars of food. It suddenly made perfect sense why most of the aisles were so empty. I have no idea how she managed to get three carts through the store alone. She didn't have anyone with her at checkout.

Only other unusual thing I've seen was tonight when I stopped by the party store* by my house. It's a small hole-in-the-wall, off the beaten path place with no actual parking lot- just a dirt area circling it where you can park wherever. It's usually not an issue as I've never encountered more than one other car there (and even that's rare), but tonight, the whole area was packed with people parking every which way and having to wait for others to leave so they could find a way to drive out. I know it's a Saturday night, but I've never seen it like this before, and it's location doesn't exactly make it that well-known.

*Not a place like Party City, more like a convenience store that sells alcohol, tobacco, and snacks.

I tried grocery shopping before work today and learned:
1) they opened one hour earlier for elderly, pregnant, health care and emergency workers and anyone who felt they were at greater risk.
2) they don't allow reusable shopping bags right now
3) they installed "sneeze guards" at the cash registers
4) they still have no TP, Lysol, Clorox wipes, liquid hand soap or antibacterial gel
5) the only ground beef available was in a 10 lb roll! And I only know that because I asked the person at the butcher counter.
6) all of the junk food my daughter asked for was available, but there were no baby carrots to be found!

I only went to the store because I had been trying for 2 days to put in a grocery order for pickup, but no slots were available and I have not panic shopped, so I really do need food for the week. UGH!

Eerie silence on an otherwise busy Saturday night, and despite measures taken by supermarkets, still getting frequent sellouts on a lot of products. Not to mention that it almost feels like I'm living in a nuclear apocalypse.

Grocery stores out of bleach, bleach cleaners, bleach wipes, toilet paper, bs y wipes. Low on meat. Everything else is pretty well stocked.

I have found that if I “travel” a bit for stuff, I have better luck. My town has 1 grocery store and 1 major chain pharmacy and 1 mom
And pop pharmacy and is suburban...read pretty well populated so everyone in town is using those 3 places to shop, so they’re pretty bare of a lot of stuff.

Two towns away is more rural (less populated) and they have 3 grocery stores Plus 2 major chain pharmacies. Why they have more than my town while being less populated I have no idea. So I have been driving there to do my shopping (about 15 minutes vs 5 minutes to get to the stores so not bad).

Spreading a smaller population out amongst 3 grocery stores means that all the stores have more stuff. Yesterday I was able to get everything on my shopping list including toilet paper by going to 1 of the grocery stores and 1 of the pharmacies. Neither place had cleaning supplies. The pharmacy is where I got the toilet paper and they limited it to 2 packages per customer.

My elderly dad with dementia lives with me so I am trying to keep his world and routine as normal as possible. If DH and I end up having to use washcloths as toilet paper, then we can do that. Trying to explain that to Dad based on his cognitive situation would be difficult.

I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a lady at the self checkout (the bigger ones that have a conveyor belt) with THREE carts filled about a foot higher than the top, along with the rack underneath each cart filled to the brim. And not with large items, but with regular groceries- hundreds of cans and boxes and jars of food. It suddenly made perfect sense why most of the aisles were so empty. I have no idea how she managed to get three carts through the store alone. She didn't have anyone with her at checkout.

Only other unusual thing I've seen was tonight when I stopped by the party store* by my house. It's a small hole-in-the-wall, off the beaten path place with no actual parking lot- just a dirt area circling it where you can park wherever. It's usually not an issue as I've never encountered more than one other car there (and even that's rare), but tonight, the whole area was packed with people parking every which way and having to wait for others to leave so they could find a way to drive out. I know it's a Saturday night, but I've never seen it like this before, and it's location doesn't exactly make it that well-known.

*Not a place like Party City, more like a convenience store that sells alcohol, tobacco, and snacks.
I wonder if she was shopping for a food pantry or homeless shelter, etc.. It is definitely a possibility now because all these places are seeing higher than usual numbers.

I have a large family (7 people) and I’m also shopping for my parents since theyre over 60 and my dad has health issues. So when I go to the store to just do a regular shopping trip for us all I get some dirty looks because I have so much stuff. Also this “1 milk” and “2 bread” limit is a great idea but it’s annoying for me because I need more then that for my big family and my parents. So I’ve just been going pretty much every other day, to different stores each trip so I don’t take too much from any one store. I feel like I live at the grocery store.

I wonder if she was shopping for a food pantry or homeless shelter, etc.. It is definitely a possibility now because all these places are seeing higher than usual numbers.

I'm hoping it was something like that and not one individual just wanting to hoard everything.

More people outside walking around "for exercise."

And the dog walking! There are a couple people I didnt even know they had dogs (and Im a dog person so that's kind big).

The masses are pouring in buying up their fancy home improvement projects as if that is essential while oblivious to the world around them collapses while they prepare for their 2 week staycation working on prettying up their houses.

I saw the writing on the wall a little before most so we actually shopped for a few projects ahead of time. Unfortunately sometimes until you are in the midst of a project you dont know what you need. We are either making due or putting the project on hold until we actually have to go to the store for something essential.

How dependent everyone was on fast food, thus the reasons why there has been a run on the foods we should eat and make for ourselves at the grocery stores. I was amazed when I saw there was nobody in the drive thru line at Chick-fil-A where typically they are wrapped around. Heck we might be healthier when this is all done and over with, on a lighter note.

I'm trying to eat fresh now because who knows if there is going to come a time soon when we cant but the snacks do call me. Right now I am craving a bag of Chex mix that is taunting me from the pantry.

I'm noticing alot of black crows in my yard and surrounding land the past week. Usually they stay miles away, out by the highway and gathered around strip malls and restaurants. Now they're coming into the more rural area looking for food. I hope our normal little birds can compete :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter