What strange things are you noticing in your area?

In Pennsylvania, almost everything is shut down other than "essential" businesses. I get that perhaps something in your house could fail at any time and home improvement stores could be deemed essential, but what PA has done was take 75% of the workforce spread out around the state, restaurant patrons that would have been spread out around thousands of restaurants, bar patrons spread out, malls, shopping centers, notaries, car dealerships, insurance agent offices, everywhere spread out across the entire state and has packed them in shoulder to shoulder in a select few businesses mainly Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot.

Ex wife told me you can't even walk through Lowes. Packed. Those 3 are going to have record breaking sales and revenue.

The masses are pouring in buying up their fancy home improvement projects as if that is essential while oblivious to the world around them collapses while they prepare for their 2 week staycation working on prettying up their houses.

Our social distancing has brought people physically closer than ever before. Way to go society.

Lots of milk, fruit and veggies here. No paper products,,,,,,a little meat......a few eggs
Yes eggs, tissues, toilet rolls all sold out. That's why I was shocked about fresh milk being sold out. Is it lack of supply or people panic buying? I've no idea.

Yes eggs, tissues, toilet rolls all sold out. That's why I was shocked about fresh milk being sold out. Is it lack of supply or people panic buying? I've no idea.
Milk has been picked over, but always had fresh milk the last two weeks. It's all panic buying. They had bread today, but not last Sunday. Laughed at my wife " I don't want that kind of bread". Ah, at least there is bread, whole wheat will have to do, instead of from foo foo bread.

Well, the local grocery store chain is hiring off duty sheriff's deputies in patrol cars to be out front of all their stores to prevent problems. That is different. And I was at the grocery store at 6 am, and usually there are 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot, probably 40 today. Saw a few people with masks and gloves, and one lady who covered her nose and mouth every time she passed another person.
We were at the Walmart Neighborhood grocery just before they opened at 7 am. About 20 people waiting in line for them to open. That is not the usual. Only went there to check on paper products, they had none, so in and out.

This is what's happening here. We went to the store when they opened today and there was a line of about 40 people waiting outside the doors (at a fair distance from each other). And there was a police car sitting at the curb and an officer inside. The vast majority of the crowd headed straight to the TP (myself included since we hadn't done the panic buy earlier and were running low). There were people with masks and gloves. The deli and butcher areas were closed up, only prepackaged meats for sale. TP was pretty limited and I'll bet it was gone by 8 a.m. They had almost all the registers going and appeared to be trying to get people out quickly. The entire experience was a bit outside our norm.

We're also staying away from our parents who we normally visit once or twice a week. Our daughter is home from college and hasn't yet seen any family besides DH and I because we don't want to risk spread.

This is what's happening here. We went to the store when they opened today and there was a line of about 40 people waiting outside the doors (at a fair distance from each other). And there was a police car sitting at the curb and an officer inside. The vast majority of the crowd headed straight to the TP (myself included since we hadn't done the panic buy earlier and were running low). There were people with masks and gloves. The deli and butcher areas were closed up, only prepackaged meats for sale. TP was pretty limited and I'll bet it was gone by 8 a.m. They had almost all the registers going and appeared to be trying to get people out quickly. The entire experience was a bit outside our norm.

We're also staying away from our parents who we normally visit once or twice a week. Our daughter is home from college and hasn't yet seen any family besides DH and I because we don't want to risk spread.
My wife and I are the older generation in our family. Our parents have all passed away so that isn't an issue. Not sure about whether to see my 8 month old Granddaughter. Not sure DW and I would be a risk to her. My DIL works at a hospital that is treating coronavirus patients and it is business as usual for them since they deal with infectious disease cases every day.

Summer residents are flocking in (to Maine) from MA, NY, and CT. They normally don't come here until May. The grocery store parking lot was probably 75% out of state plates this morning.

Ex wife told me you can't even walk through Lowes.

My DS works there and wishes he could stay home. He works in seasonal and know Lowes should be open in case people’s fridge or stove break down but he is upset to see people risking his health and health of others to buy patio furniture and other non essentials right now

I went for a grocery run earlier today and I noticed a huge line at the carwash next door :rolleyes1

With the exception of a few shortages here and there things are as normal as they can be here. We are having a beautiful start to spring so people in our neighborhood are out walking, biking, and jogging. While respecting social distancing of course. We take the kids on two neighborhood walks a day. It’s tough when they see their friends and can’t approach them though.

There are more than the usual number of people out walking, jogging, bike riding, etc. Most seem to be keeping their distance, some crossing the street to avoid passing others too closely. Although now that I think of, they always did that if they saw me approaching!

How dependent everyone was on fast food, thus the reasons why there has been a run on the foods we should eat and make for ourselves at the grocery stores. I was amazed when I saw there was nobody in the drive thru line at Chick-fil-A where typically they are wrapped around. Heck we might be healthier when this is all done and over with, on a lighter note.

Lots of milk, fruit and veggies here. No paper products,,,,,,a little meat......a few eggs
I went shopping today. Besides the usual stuff (TP, hand sanitizer, disinfectant), there was no ground beef, no chicken, no rice, no beans, no noodles of any kind, no eggs, no frozen veggies or frozen potato products. It was crazy. I went to 3 stores to find the ingredients for my dinners. I finally found ground beef at Aldi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter