What should they do with Pleasure Island?

ITA! I am SO TIRED of the "everything has to be family friendly" attitude. what about all the adults?
Not everything is strictly family friendly. There are still quite a few places where adults can go at WDW. And off property, tons.
there are plenty at the village market place
Village Market Place, that's a blast from the past.
If I want to drink on my vacation, I will.
Again, plenty of places scattered throughout WDW to do that if you want. But a concentrated area for clubby type places is not in the cards. Too many problems to justify it.

I wish they'd bring back something like Virgin Mega used to be, with a plentitude of movies, music, books, and then expand it by also having the newest electronics (ipods, phones, gaming, software, etc.).

Also, instead of high end foo foo restaurants how about some fun restaurants like a TGIF, Chili's, Nathans, Tilted Kilt. Throw in a club or dinner theatre where you could have different headliners (Comedians, Magicians, Musicians) throughout the year...like a Vegas show.

A place that's not quite sin city , but also fun for adults and familys to go.

I love the DIS. I learn something new here each day. Today I've learned that my household is not a family. The ages in my home are 42, 38, 19 and 19.

I guess when we head to WDW next April, we'll just be a bunch of adults traveling together,but NOT a family.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I say bring back Comedy Club, Adventure Club and a few dance clubs.

The opposition to Pleasure Island in its former state is a little confusing to me. It wasn't exactly Bourbon Street. It seemed fairly tame the one time I was there, and there were kids in the Comedy Warehouse when I visited. The performers even pointed out that since King Mickey was in charge even on the island, all humor must be appropriate. :laughing:

Were there many reports of troublemakers on the island, or are some people really just offended by the mere knowledge that other people were drinking and/or dancing in an area designated as Disney World property?

I'm shocked no one has embraced my Hooter's restaurant idea! :rotfl2:
There is one about ten minutes away.
Were there many reports of troublemakers on the island.
It was a combination of things. It was becoming a hangout for those that wanted to just hangout. As they had done away with the cover charge, the younger crowd could just come in with all their friends and stay there all night. With that comes other things.
just offended by the mere knowledge that other people were drinking and/or dancing in an area designated as Disney World property?
Drinking, that's the key word. It was as a result of what some people become after too much drinking.
Too many incidents of bad behavior on the buses. Once someone pukes on a bus from over drinking, that bus is out of service until it can be cleaned. When some people were drunk and then confronted by the bus driver, it would often turn into a bad situation. No one should have to deal with that on a nightly basis. I haven't had any situations of that nature since the change.

Translation: every one must go to Disney and vacation my way or it's not right. :confused3

My sons are older get them Rihanna as a sitter and you can dump them any time you want. and yes I find the assumption that people who chose to use disney kid clubs are "dumping" their kids pretty darn offensive.

Better call family services because some times my husband and I actually abandon our kids and go to Disney by ourselves. :scared1:

Rude to say the least.
I agree. I once took DS to the club at the Polynesian Resort so that he could have fun. He's an only child and he got the biggest kick out of getting a chance to play with some kids his own age for a while.

Besides we never needed to be attached at the hip the whole time we went on vacation. We all had different needs and tastes and by being a little flexible we could all have fun.

Thanks for the reply, Magicbus. If that happened to you personally, I am so sorry. That must have been frustrating to say the least! :hug:

We were on a bus to Downtown Disney during our last trip and a kid threw up. It was pretty darn unpleasant and of course that trip takes forever anyway. I can't imagine dealing with this on a regular basis.

I can say with certainity what they should NOT do and that is add more stupid stores for shopping!! Most the stores they have sell the same overpriced junk anyways.

make it a carnival area?..like the boardwalk on old NJ

make it an area for theater and broadway style shows?
maybe even a dinner theater show
Maybe add a couple museums/

historic reenactment stuff

I think they should have kept comedy warehouse and while I didnt like the adevnturers club, I think they should have kept it, it was obviously popular..remove the booze from those 2 places if booze was a problem

that area could be something cool and inique but you know some annoying executive will turn it into moare stores because that is what disney needs..yeah right.

Better call family services because some times my husband and I actually abandon our kids and go to Disney by ourselves. :scared1:

I think that's great that you go alone. That was not my point. My hubby and I go on trips alone a lot. That's when we do our drinking and dancing. When we go on a family trip with the kiddo, it's all about spending time together, not leaving him behind at the hotel. But, that's just my opinion. No biggie.

We went to WDW on our honeymoon. And, we went to Pleasure Island. We found the dance clubs to be super cheesy. Adventurers club was ok. The comedy club was the best out of the lot.

I'd like to see a live theater venue where they could present their broadway shows like Mary Poppins and Lion King.

I'm shocked no one has embraced my Hooter's restaurant idea! :rotfl2:

Well, I suppose most of us don't want to lower ourselves to that level. :eek:

At least be honest about it and open up a place called Knockers or Juggs and then I'd be interested.

But Hooters? Nahhhhh, fake everything: food, waitresses and "family atmosphere."

There's good low class sleaze, and then there's Hooters.

Jim

Well, I suppose most of us don't want to lower ourselves to that level. :eek:

At least be honest about it and open up a place called Knockers or Juggs and then I'd be interested.

But Hooters? Nahhhhh, fake everything: food, waitresses and "family atmosphere."

There's good low class sleaze, and then there's Hooters.

Jim

It was a joke, Jim. Loosen the panties and have a laugh once in a while.

Locals had no use for the place.
As for profit, according to a few bartenders I spoke with, people would come in and nurse a drink for two hours while they experienced the entertainment. Not enough booze flowing to cover costs.

There is one about ten minutes away.

It was a combination of things. It was becoming a hangout for those that wanted to just hangout. As they had done away with the cover charge, the younger crowd could just come in with all their friends and stay there all night. With that comes other things.

Drinking, that's the key word. It was as a result of what some people become after too much drinking.
Too many incidents of bad behavior on the buses. Once someone pukes on a bus from over drinking, that bus is out of service until it can be cleaned. When some people were drunk and then confronted by the bus driver, it would often turn into a bad situation. No one should have to deal with that on a nightly basis. I haven't had any situations of that nature since the change.

so, which was it? were people taking up space, NOT drinking, and there was no profit?

Or were they drinking too much?

i could see going back to an admission. (sothe local kids couldn't just "hang out") and I certainly can feel for the bus drivers.
but you have the same problem at the boardwalk. (oops, shouldn't say that.. maybe that will go "poof!")
As a bartender in Illionis, I took a few classes (basset, tips). the problem of drunks and over serving can occur anywhere: pleasure island, boardwalk, even epcot.. . over serving is no reason to close a venue. stop the over serving.

I just think it's ok to have a few adult oriented venues. (you don't want to encourage people to drive off site and drink). It's ok to have karaokee at the Swan for adults only. it's ok to have a place for adults to gather and have fun. g back to charging an admission.

although, I DO like the idea a PP stated of a venue for tweens and/or teens. even though it wouldn't help me at all now, I recall when my sons were that age it would have been much appreciated.
disney cruise lines have a teens dance hall. there could be a teens dance hall and a teens karaokee. (with a couple clubs for the parents right next to them) !

so, which was it? were people taking up space, NOT drinking, and there was no profit? Or were they drinking too much?
Why does it have to be one or the other? The taking up space was also outside, so you didn't have to buy drinks and you could bring your own.
but you have the same problem at the boardwalk.

No, you don't have the same problem. The concept is different. It's much smaller so it's easier for security to monitor what's going on. There is no bus service back to the resorts and takes care of that problem. Most people are either staying at one of the Epcot resorts or drove there. And it's not a cool place for the younger crowd to hangout.

Why does it have to be one or the other? The taking up space was also outside, so you didn't have to buy drinks and you could bring your own.

bring your own? if you can do that at DTD you can do that at boardwalk.

No, you don't have the same problem. The concept is different. It's much smaller so it's easier for security to monitor what's going on. There is no bus service back to the resorts and takes care of that problem. Most people are either staying at one of the Epcot resorts or drove there. And it's not a cool place for the younger crowd to hangout.

last time we were at jelly rolls, we saw quite a few kids turned away at the door for being under 21, there was a LOT of young kids roaming back and forth.

I just think it's a shame disney did away with an adults venue. there was this big marketing campaign in the 90s , "disney is not just for kids"... "remember how much fun you had with the kids? come back and relive the romance" etc etc. the commercials showed adult couples, no kids, having great fun at the parks, the water parks, the clubs.

now, on THIS, a disney forum, , you have people saying, "IF you want to drink and dance, stay home". huh?

why is it when anyone talks about a LEGAL activity like enjoying legal adult beverages on vacation, people come out in GROVES, almost advocating prohibition on WDW property..cause, you know, it's "all about the children"?

there is no alcohol allowed in Magic Kingdom. fine. but there is nothing wrong with having adults only venues, or, venues aimed at adults, to satisfy the needs of the honeymoon couples, the groups of adults on vacations, the empty nesters.
I understand if some families don't want their children to be around drinking. but other families do partake in this legal activity. and see nothing wrong with it, not only legally, but morally. I have a few beers when I am with my grandchildren!:scared1:
I think it would be a total shame if pleasure island went the way of many more shops. .

More stores? Yuck. I can shop anywhere--and can find cheaper prices.

Since they're not going to reopen any of the good nightclubs, I think they should just bulldoze the whole section and turn it into something like Central Park. Green grass, trees, fountains, etc. Just a nice park like area. Of course, that won't bring in the dollars, so it'll probably be more stores with the same old Disney stuff that's already in the parks and in the Disney Store. Of course, it won't affect us--we only go to Downtown Disney for Earl of Sandwich now. There is absolutely nothing there that appeals to us.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Earl of Sandwich! Whenever we are in Orlando we have to make a point to hit that shop. MMM MMM MMM!:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter