What is with the Horrible Wait times???

I always think it’s just a matter of luck. We too were there last March, but our experience was the opposite of yours. We waited right around what the posted wait times were pretty much every time (except the last half hour or so of a park being open and during fireworks at MK). I’d say the times we waited 15ish minutes less was equal to the times we waited 15ish minutes longer than posted.

I really didn’t think we’d have to wait as long as we did a lot of times when we’d get in line, but we did. It was what it was though. We weren’t upset over it. I got in line expecting that wait. But at the same time I kind of didn’t haha.
We were at the parks a few weeks ago (end of Jan, beginning of Feb) and had a similar experience with standby lines. They were pretty accurate, and we were just as likely to wait longer than the posted time than less. Our sample of standby lines was limited as we mostly used LLs, but even the LLs got really long at times because of how many times the rides went down, especially at Epcot and HS.

Was in Hollywood Studios today. We went a lot pre Covid and have been a handful of times post Covid. I feel confident in saying, while I still love Disney, the change from Fast Passes makes the day less enjoyable.
All the talk that Fast Passes were making standby lines longer was nonsense as they are just as long with Genie+ (except now Disney makes big bucks).
All of the hit rides were between 100 and 240 minutes most of today. Even Alien Saucer and Star Tours hovered around 45 minutes.
To add insult to injury, Rise of the Resistance, Mickey’s Railroad, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania all went down at various times.
We still had a good day, mostly because we paid for RotR and got the Fantasmic Dining package.
Genie+ is almost a must in Hollywood Studios, which I’m sure is what they want.

I was trying to help my family navigate today from home in Texas (so they could enjoy their day and keep their heads out of their phones) and I was shocked at the wait times and ride closures today. Rise was down the entire morning until about 1ish and then it ballooned to 210 min so they missed out on that this time. They didn't stay onsite and park hopped from AK to HS to MK so I was watching all 3 parks all day. All 3 were nuts but MK was the most reasonable until after 2p and then it ballooned too. Overall they still had a productive day but I was constantly refreshing all day and it was way more chaotic than it used to be

There was a national cheer competition and a band competition at WDW in February. We also learned on our cruise that a lot of the southern schools had winter break this week and the previous week. I’m sure those all contributed to how busy it’s been.

Take a look at the wait times for the rides you want. There are certain times of the day in each park that are much better than others. For example the entrance attractions at EP get really busy in the first half of the day but then taper off. In MK the time during and after fireworks is much less busy.

I feel your pain, OP. Last year is the first time I have ever left WDW not wanting to return. The wait times were just too long, which to me seems ironic since with park reservations Disney now knows how many people will be in a park and should be able to plan accordingly.

It made me wonder how DVC sales were going, because I couldn't imagine the "magic" of repeating my experience year after year. I posted on here asking about DVC sales, and majority thought sales were as strong as ever.
I agree with this. I still like going just me and my husband. We enjoy the atmosphere, shopping. But we’ll en the teens want to come with us, I actually dread the parks and having to line up the way it has been. I told them 2 parks only this week. Too stressful.

I have an upcoming trip to Disney World and have been checking the My Disney App watching wait times.
It seems stand by wait times have been just awful!
Especially for all the popular rides. Regardless of the time of day.

What is causing all the wait times to be so High?
Is it a Capacity issue? Really Crowded?

It has been a few years since I was at Disney World due to COVID.
And I can't ever remember wait times being so High for the rides. Even with the changes of Fast Pass and Genie +.

I am not talking about Slinky, Rise or Flights of Passage, just the others.

Yesterday Everest, Navi, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder, Pirates, etc. all had wait times of 60 minutes + continuously throughout the day.
Some rides 85-150 minutes????

Just ridiculous in my opinion.

How can Disney expect people to stand in lines that long for most of the rides? You will NEVER get much done or be able to ride very much.

Don't they see they have a HUGE issue?

Are the parks currently that crowded? Even in February?

Wow!

I am not sure what to think for my upcoming May trip.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks!
People can’t afford to go anymore but they do, but they definitely can’t go AND pay for fastpass. So they wait in a 315 min. Avatar line. Or even better, a 120 minute slinky dog.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Lightning Lanes for myself, but if you want to live like the old days you gotta pay the piper.

I choked on my coffee this morning when I saw G+ at $29 pp! Insane!

It's been $29pp 3 days in a row now. I was shocked my husband told me to just buy it, he is NOT up for waiting in hours long standby lines after years of trips carefully planned using Fastpass. Really regret not just pre-buying it when I bought tickets - at the time I thought we wouldn't get it for every day of our trip and it was $15pp either way, had no idea I'd end up paying double for a single day in the end.

I was trying to help my family navigate today from home in Texas (so they could enjoy their day and keep their heads out of their phones) and I was shocked at the wait times and ride closures today. Rise was down the entire morning until about 1ish and then it ballooned to 210 min so they missed out on that this time. They didn't stay onsite and park hopped from AK to HS to MK so I was watching all 3 parks all day. All 3 were nuts but MK was the most reasonable until after 2p and then it ballooned too. Overall they still had a productive day but I was constantly refreshing all day and it was way more chaotic than it used to be
MK was reasonable before 2 because park reservations weren’t available for at least the past week for the Friday-Sunday dates.

Thus everyone booked an available park and then hopped.

I choked on my coffee this morning when I saw G+ at $29 pp! Insane!
Yes, $29/pp and yesterday for the very first time, sold out at WDW! By 1:30 it was sold out for the day!

Personally I won’t be at all surprised to see it sell out even earlier today as people are who ‘might’ want it are concerned about not getting it. Time will tell.

Simply not paying $29. Refuse to buy into this madness. Felt like I wanted to wind down the Disney obsession last year. Have it another shot after letting pixie pass expire for 6 months but I’m back to feeling like it’s going to be a once a year at most for us after these passes expire. 😢

I hate to say it, but I think g+ top out price is going to go up to even more than $29.

We’re going to WDW in September and who knows how high the prices will be by then (even tho it’s “slow season” then).

It's been $29pp 3 days in a row now. I was shocked my husband told me to just buy it, he is NOT up for waiting in hours long standby lines after years of trips carefully planned using Fastpass. Really regret not just pre-buying it when I bought tickets - at the time I thought we wouldn't get it for every day of our trip and it was $15pp either way, had no idea I'd end up paying double for a single day in the end.
It's going to depend on what days you're going and looking to use it. It hit $29 around Christmas and again this holiday weekend. We were there in Jan where it hit $20 a few days, but also was back to $15 a few days. It's likely they won't be charging $29 when you're there, but it might not be $15 either.

I agree with this. I still like going just me and my husband. We enjoy the atmosphere, shopping. But we’ll en the teens want to come with us, I actually dread the parks and having to line up the way it has been. I told them 2 parks only this week. Too stressful.

I've given up on the "dream" of sharing my love of Disney with grandchildren. We took our kids at 2.5 and 4.5 but with current circumstances -- waits, crowds, (and expenses!!) -- I don't think a young child would enjoy it. It makes me sad.

This will answer all your questions. Well worth the time to watch. Self created monster with no way to fix it but pass the cost onto you the consumer…

I've given up on the "dream" of sharing my love of Disney with grandchildren. We took our kids at 2.5 and 4.5 but with current circumstances -- waits, crowds, (and expenses!!) -- I don't think a young child would enjoy it. It makes me sad.
I know how you feel. It is Sad!

I have been looking forward to sharing and making Disney memories with my daughter.
We had her at Disney World when she was Two (2) but have not been back since with all the COVID issues etc.
We unfortunately are not a family that can afford to go to Disney every year.

With COVID we did not travel and just saved what money we would have spent on vacations.
Now that she is at the perfect age to experience all the rides etc., we are very excited about "hopefully" sharing some of the past Magic with her. And making some new memories as well on our upcoming trip.

With all the price increases, food costs and just things in general that used to be Free (ie: Fast Pass, Magic Express, etc.)
the cost of the trip has easily doubled.
Add in all the Genie + costs and headaches just to achieve riding all our favorite attractions and we honestly don't know how things are going to go or how often we will be returning. I guess we will see.

We Love Disney!
But they are pricing out the average family.

We are hoping for a Great experience in May, but are a little anxious about how things will play out.
Especially with what we are seeing and hearing about park wait times, food costs and the added stress of Genie +.

It is just sad to see how much things have changed.

But we will remain excited and optimistic.
Hoping to experience all the new things we haven't seen (Galaxy Edge) and hoping to feel the old Magic!

Thanks to all who have responded to my original post and shared their thoughts!
It is appreciated!

Wait times are so bad today that Canada Far and Wide is showing upon the attractions map (0 minute wait), and Walt Disney Presents is showing a 20-minute wait. Wow. How did Disney not anticipate these crowds and extend park hours!

Yikes, really worried about Princess weekend crowds now.

50 minutes for Barnstormer, Alien Saucers 65...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter