What is the worst mistake you have ever made?

My grandpa was becoming more ill, and had money set aside in his regular bank account for each grandchild when he passed away. He asked all of us if we just wanted to take the money "now" to avoid taxes, and such (you know, just a cash gift). I told him to hang onto my share, in-case something unexpected happened, and I didn't mind paying taxes on it later when they did his will proceedings. A few of my other cousins agreed with me, and also waited. Some of the grandkids took the money, which was fine, but because of this going on my Aunt caught wind of how much money he actually had in his account. We knew she was a POS, because she basically lived in his upstairs apartment for YEARS without paying rent, and treating everyone like garbage. We didn't realize how bad she was until it was too late...

Fast forward a year later, my grandpa had apparently been writing small checks at my Aunt's suggestion for months. He had mild mental disabilities at this point, and we didn't know this was going on. The bank saw nothing "suspicious" about it. She took it all and ran. Still don't know where she is. Grandpa ended up living with relatives until he died another year later, because she cleaned out 80% of his money before leaving.

The cherry on top of the cake? She was suppose to be my Godmother.

My grandpa was becoming more ill, and had money set aside in his regular bank account for each grandchild when he passed away. He asked all of us if we just wanted to take the money "now" to avoid taxes, and such (you know, just a cash gift). I told him to hang onto my share, in-case something unexpected happened, and I didn't mind paying taxes on it later when they did his will proceedings. A few of my other cousins agreed with me, and also waited. Some of the grandkids took the money, which was fine, but because of this going on my Aunt caught wind of how much money he actually had in his account. We knew she was a POS, because she basically lived in his upstairs apartment for YEARS without paying rent, and treating everyone like garbage. We didn't realize how bad she was until it was too late...

Fast forward a year later, my grandpa had apparently been writing small checks at my Aunt's suggestion for months. He had mild mental disabilities at this point, and we didn't know this was going on. The bank saw nothing "suspicious" about it. She took it all and ran. Still don't know where she is. Grandpa ended up living with relatives until he died another year later, because she cleaned out 80% of his money before leaving.

The cherry on top of the cake? She was suppose to be my Godmother.

What a horrible thing for someone to do. :(

My worst mistake was definitely the time I clipped a restaurant with my RV. I tore out their awning, my awning, and 20-ft of our roof. Did I mention it was a BRAND NEW RV? Oh, yeah. We decided to go inside and get lunch while the insurance company hashed it all out with the owner. That was a $3500 hamburger!

Not going to Disney World before I got married and had kids. 2021 people!!! I swear this time!!!!

That ridiculous night I decided to give up coffee cold turkey. Alcohol may have been involved in making that decision.

The morning after did not go well.

Having my mother move in with us. Long story, but it ended up tearing my family apart. That one decision changed the course of my life.

Saying (or thinking) I would never do "that".

Now I try more for an understanding attitude. I guess age does that to you.

Not going for the dual major Bachelor's Degrees. I only needed 3 more classes for the dual major AND not going to grad school back in 2004 after I graduated with my BA. When I was finally ready to go back about 8 years later, the 3 semester Master's program was going to cost as much as my 4 years of college education combined. It was a series of bad decisions at that time that I regret. Some 18-21 year olds aren't mature enough to make those decisions for themselves.

Incidentally, I also made the decision to get married in that time period, when I was 19. I can't consider it my worst mistake because the marriage produced my 2 wonderful children, but I definitely think the kids were the only good to come from the marriage.

Last edited:
Taking the job I have and then sticking it out for so long. I recently heard AGAIN that things would improve and AGAIN I bought into it. How many times can one person be so gullible? (Stupid?)

1. Choosing the college my parents picked (30yrs ago... I still think I woulda been happier at Vassar- Barnard ain't bad but it wasn't my choice)
2. Not buying a home in SF and staying there. Should not have come back to NYC in 2001 for law school
3 not investing in an index fund from the get-go.

Life would have likely been happier overall if the above three were redone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter