What is the future of EPCOT?

I accept both of those as fact, but my reference was to countries that were currently invested and were no longer interested in investing. The most prolific being Norway. I have no knowledge of any other country ending their sponsorship with their pavilion and if you do, I would love to see it.
Most countries aren't currently investing but I can't find an exact document to show you with a quick search on my phone. For some reason Morocco is sticking out to me as one of the countries that's still sponsored but I'm not positive.

Im all for EPCOT becoming a "New Fantasy" Land of sorts. I wouldn't mind a Ratatouille ride in France, or a Mary Poppins ride in GBR. Mulan in China, Mighty Ducks in Canada (ok, I know they were American, but its the only Hockey I can think of right now :) ) Perhaps its because Epcot used to bore me to tears during school field trips. Whatever the case may be, I for one would be ok with the addition of rides to EPCOT. Rides that people actually wanted to go on. I'd also be fine if they wanted to put some actual rides in that weren't IP's, like Maelstrom was. For some reason they took out Cranium Command, Body Wars, and replaced them with a closed building.... They took out most of Innovations, and replaced those exhibits with empty space. They upgraded with The Land adding Soarin (I say upgraded because most people like that ride). For my family, after Nemo, touring around the seas exhibits, trying out some new flavors of Coke, riding the Mexico ride, we sort of just get bored. Without F&W, pretty sure that park would bring in less than 10 mil/ year. They know it, and I guess the only way they know how to boost attendance is to bring in some rides based on IP's. I know my children have no interest in seeing the videos in Canada and China. They aren't old enough to drink. Bad use of a ticket for us. Perhaps we aren't in the minority anymore.

Personally, I don't see any MAJOR changes in the World Showcase as of yet, but I think they will come. MK has gotten a new FantasyLand, AK is undergoing Pandora, DHS is totally redone, so I believe the EPCOT in specific FutureWorld will be the next in line. I don't think that it will at all be in the same theme that it is now. My whole premise is the fact that over the past 40 years technology has increased to fast, it is impossible for imagineers to design and construct attractions that will last and still be relevant years into the future.

Most countries aren't currently investing but I can't find an exact document to show you with a quick search on my phone. For some reason Morocco is sticking out to me as one of the countries that's still sponsored but I'm not positive.
Morocco was one of the few pavilions that was actually sponsored by the country. Most of the countries represented at Epcot were actually sponsored by the businesses that had stores and restaurants in the pavilion. Norway was initially sponsored by several industries in the county. When you exited the Maelstrom boat ride into the Norwegian fishing village, there names of the industries that sponsored the pavilion were on the houses in the village. Japan was initially sponsored by the Mitsukoshi department store, not Japan. Not sure if that's still the case. The American Adventure was initially sponsored by American Express, that's why Amex was the "official" card of WDW for many years.

Morocco was one of the few pavilions that was actually sponsored by the country. Most of the countries represented at Epcot were actually sponsored by the businesses that had stores and restaurants in the pavilion. Norway was initially sponsored by several industries in the county. When you exited the Maelstrom boat ride into the Norwegian fishing village, there names of the industries that sponsored the pavilion were on the houses in the village. Japan was initially sponsored by the Mitsukoshi department store, not Japan. Not sure if that's still the case. The American Adventure was initially sponsored by American Express, that's why Amex was the "official" card of WDW for many years.
Thank you for this.

I would venture to guess we won't see any major additions/changes to EPCOT being announced until after Pandora is finished and progress in DHS is solid. Even then, World Showcase probably won't change much, but other areas are in much need to updating or renovations.

As far as I know yes, Morocco is still sponsored and the sheik/prince/sultan, whatever, has very strict rules regarding its management.

#bringbackduffy

Can't tell if your serious, but I would love that and I would like to see ShellieMay and Gelatoni in the parks as meets and in shows. Speaking of characters I would really like Town Square to be a "random" meet and greet area. Maybe you come and you see Clarice and Three Little Pigs and Horace. Then later you could Jaq and Gus and Suzy and Perla, maybe the fairy godmother too.

I accept both of those as fact, but my reference was to countries that were currently invested and were no longer interested in investing. The most prolific being Norway. I have no knowledge of any other country ending their sponsorship with their pavilion and if you do, I would love to see it.

I'm not even sure Morocco is anymore. Most of them were there for seed money to get construction costs off the ground. As things moved on, they didn't renegotiate contracts for "sponsorship." FW has seen the same thing, but it's more noticable, since the pavilions signage is right there.

... and Frozen doesn't take place in Norway, didn't stop them from putting it in World Showcase.

To be fair, the Norway pavilion isn't really "Norway" either. It was a conglomeration of all the Nordic countries.

I accept that most aren't currently investing. I accept that some countries were initially supported by corporations of that country and still are (Japan), but you said most countries have been pulling out for decades and I challenged you to prove that.
I'm not even sure Morocco is anymore. Most of them were there for seed money to get construction costs off the ground. As things moved on, they didn't renegotiate contracts for "sponsorship." FW has seen the same thing, but it's more noticable, since the pavilions signage is right there.

To be fair, the Norway pavilion isn't really "Norway" either. It was a conglomeration of all the Nordic countries.

Morocco is still maintained by Morocco. It's part of the reason it doesn't light up during Illuminations since it is against Islamic culture.

I accept that most aren't currently investing. I accept that some countries were initially supported by corporations of that country and still are (Japan), but you said most countries have been pulling out for decades and I challenged you to prove that.

Morocco is still maintained by Morocco. It's part of the reason it doesn't light up during Illuminations since it is against Islamic culture.

I'm not sure you're going to find a definitive placeholder that states no one is supporting pavilions. It's pretty much a well known throughout many Disney Forums. Let's not confuse storefront and restaurants with naming rights, over the actual pavilion.

Here's a great, albeit old, article on World Showcase:

http://www.yesterland.com/worldshowcase.html

Werner lists the countries that had some sort of corporate sponsorship. I think 90% of them are long gone. Out of business, or swallowed up by someone else.

I remember the billboards for the other countries when we visited EPCOT in November of '82.

To be fair, Norway has had an increase in tourism over the past couple of years because of Frozen.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2016/08/16/frozen-leads-to-spike-in-norway-tourism/

...I was going to say! Frozen is absolutely set in Norway, as surely as Snow White is in Germany. I think the only mistake Disney made was giving it the stupid fictional name of "Arendale" (sp?). Why give it a name at all? Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc, etc, didn't give us a name - but we all know where they are set. They caused themselves a world of heartache by giving it a fictional name. If no name had been attached, the heartburn would have been so much less when they plugged Frozen into Norway.

Along those lines, why not build a Mr Toad's coaster behind the UK pavilion? (I'd LOVE that!) Why not build a Mulan dark ride behind China? This could be done without negatively impacting the experience at the pavilions, and drive lots of new visitors. ...but as much as I think this is a good idea, it's the front side of that park that needs some love.

Along those lines, why not build a Mr Toad's coaster behind the UK pavilion? (I'd LOVE that!) Why not build a Mulan dark ride behind China? This could be done without negatively impacting the experience at the pavilions, and drive lots of new visitors. ...but as much as I think this is a good idea, it's the front side of that park that needs some love.

Preaching to the choir.

According to Wikipedia, "The only pavilion that is directly sponsored by the government of its respective country is Morocco; the remaining pavilions are primarily sponsored by private companies with affiliations to the represented countries."

"Originally, the showcase was to include partnerships with the governments of the different countries. According to Disney's 1975 Annual Report, the Showcase would:

...offer participating countries a permanent installation for such features as themed restaurants and shops, product exhibits, industrial displays, cultural presentations, a trade center, and even special facilities for business meetings.

Major sponsorships for each participating nation will be asked to provide the capital to cover the cost of designing, developing and constructing its attraction and/or ride and all exhibits, as well as the Pavilion itself. It will also have the responsibility for funding the housing for its employees in the International Village. Its land lease will cover the cost of maintaining the attraction for a minimum of ten years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot#World_Showcase

Isn't it kind of obvious though? What has been added to any of the pavilions before frozen in Norway? Three caballeros? That was done by Disney and didn't have Mexican involvement. Most of the countries are not financially supported by their "home" countries. If they were we'd see improvements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter