What is the future of EPCOT?

Really, of all the great pavilions they could build, Hawaii isn't even on the list. Russia, Greece, Brazil, Egypt, Kenya, Ethiopia, Australia, India, Spain & Israel could be done easily and the food at half of them would become a draw unto itself. I hope that someday Disney will fill in the gaps with some of these ideas - but first, they need to pay attention to Future World.

Really, of all the great pavilions they could build, Hawaii isn't even on the list...

Omg it was just an example.

Russia, Greece, Brazil, Egypt, Kenya, Ethiopia, Australia, India, Spain & Israel could be done easily and the food at half of them would become a draw unto itself. I hope that someday Disney will fill in the gaps with some of these ideas - but first, they need to pay attention to Future World.

I still think Future World is more like "Can you believe we didn't have this stuff 10 years ago?" world. The spirit of Epcot is the world showcase and I agree with you that your suggestions for countries are great, especially Egypt. Future world is taking up valuable real estate imo.

me thinks you presume too much.
I have yet to find evidence that either one of us are right so really we both could be right, only one of us is, or we are both wrong. It's not documented online as to what the current status of sponsorship or involvement of each country is.

I still think Future World is more like "Can you believe we didn't have this stuff 10 years ago?"
What does that mean? Future world hasn't been about technology or the future for decades now. Soarin and test track are over 10 years old. I'm confused as what your point is here.

I have yet to find evidence that either one of us are right so really we both could be right, only one of us is, or we are both wrong. It's not documented online as to what the current status of sponsorship or involvement of each country is.

Actually, I found an article yesterday because our discussion piqued my curiosity and there is an article, but it's from 2013. I don't know how accurate it is because it states Norway stopped sponsoring in 2002 and that can't be accurate (can it?) if they lost the pavilion to Disney in 2014.

However, here it is.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201308/3591/

I am not trying to prove you wrong or right. I thought we were just having a nice discussion.

What does that mean? Future world hasn't been about technology or the future for decades now. Soarin and test track are over 10 years old. I'm confused as what your point is here.

It means that I believe that future world is dead and so is the concept

Actually, I found an article yesterday because our discussion piqued my curiosity and there is an article, but it's from 2013. I don't know how accurate it is because it states Norway stopped sponsoring in 2002 and that can't be accurate (can it?) if they lost the pavilion to Disney in 2014.

However, here it is.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201308/3591/

I am not trying to prove you wrong or right. I thought we were just having a nice discussion.
Nice find. I think that might be accurate because it onto became news with frozen that Norway wasn't sponsoring the pavilion. My guess is in 2014 the news focused on the relationship between the pavilion and Norway making it seem like they just pulled out which in fact they hadn't been involved for years. Then my guess would be people tried to go to the Norway government to try and make a change but they didn't want to be involved. Another key sentence is they say that Norah was one of the few countries that actually sponsored a pavilion.

It means that I believe that future world is dead and so is the concept
Well then it's been dead for much longer than 10 years. The concept isn't dead and it can work Disney just doesn't choose to continue to invest in such a concept. I think that's because it would be incredibly expensive but it's not like they don't have the money.

Nice find. I think that might be accurate because it onto became news with frozen that Norway wasn't sponsoring the pavilion. My guess is in 2014 the news focused on the relationship between the pavilion and Norway making it seem like they just pulled out which in fact they hadn't been involved for years. Then my guess would be people tried to go to the Norway government to try and make a change but they didn't want to be involved. Another key sentence is they say that Norah was one of the few countries that actually sponsored a pavilion.

Glad you liked it :)

I really hope my husband finishes his masters and get his dream job as an Imagineer so I can know all the inside stuff!

Glad you liked it :)

I really hope my husband finishes his masters and get his dream job as an Imagineer so I can know all the inside stuff!
That's my dream job as well but with how some things are going I'm not sure if I still want that job.

They could extend the USA bit, and have a bit for each state, which would be interesting for those of us who are not from USA?
Then separately have more other countries, so a USA showcase AND a World Showcase?

That's my dream job as well but with how some things are going I'm not sure if I still want that job.

Look at it this way. Maybe one day you'll be able to stop them from making an awful decision. Hubby just wants to be part of building it and right now isn't too partial about what he builds.

I accept both of those as fact, but my reference was to countries that were currently invested and were no longer interested in investing. The most prolific being Norway. I have no knowledge of any other country ending their sponsorship with their pavilion and if you do, I would love to see it.

Norway was never sponsored by norway...it was a "private consortium" of business interests from multiple Scandinavian countries that basically collapsed before the pavilion opened. So it was ripe for Bulls.....err...I mean..."an exciting new concept"

But the bigger issue...is that Epcot is high cost and built on a "sponsorship" model. They couldn't afford that park then...they were a small fry company.

Not so now...they don't need that anymore.

But boy are they spoiled by it. So now it's gotta be another damn magic kingdom and more plush racks? That's where this is going. That exists...it's called BUSCH GARDENS WILLIAMSBURG. and it's lovely...just not Epcot.

Things are different now...kids can google what the Eiffel Tower looks like in a hut at the base of Kilimanjaro...

But...that doesn't mean you go Coney Island with the place.

They want luxury clientele? Then make the pavilions in Epcot top notch...make them unique to put it on another level. Quality could win out.

But look in the mirror...is your DS 9 and DD 7 bored there?

?

Right...I'm done....

:rotfl2:
They could extend the USA bit, and have a bit for each state, which would be interesting for those of us who are not from USA?
Then separately have more other countries, so a USA showcase AND a World Showcase?

Lol...unfortunately probably 30 states have nothing to offer :rotfl2:

First time post here so please bare with me....Personally I see a way we could incorporate both the expanding of the countries and eliminating some dead weight in Future World(in addition to the already rumored removal of World of Energy and replacing with Guardians of the Galaxy-sad to see that building go architecturally speaking as well as enjoying a 45 minute break from the heat) Take for instance Wonders of Life- why not raise that building and create a New Zealand Land that has A Lord of the Rings ride or two or just make it a Lord of the Rings zone and let people know how it was filmed in New Zealand by having some locale New Zealand fare?) Same with Journey into imagination( it has never been the same since they got rid of Dream finder and failed to add futuristic games etc) create a Australian land and instead of using movies as a base maybe do something with Steve Irwin's family and create a small sanctuary and/or a replica barrier reef where people can go to relax and use it as a nice buffer between the rest of Future World and The World Showcase......they will never do Israel by the way due to terror fears. and as much as I would love to see a Russian one I doubt they will ever do that due to the unstable climate of Russia itself. One last thing- Disney does not need corporate or country sponsors to maintain the countries- it is just greedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter