What is one comment that you can't forget.

A neighbor stopped to visit and I didn’t know her that well. She asked what sort of things I like to do and I responded that I enjoy reading. She said “I have a sister that doesn’t do anything either.” This lady is out doing yard work practically before the sun is up so I think she didn’t feel reading was a worthy way to spend your time!

At one of my bridal showers many years ago there was a tradition to tie the ribbons from the packages in the bride’s hair. When the shower was almost over someone quietly told me I looked ridiculous.

I hate to say it, but this is extremely common. We heard it with DD, who was adopted as an infant from Russia. Truth be told, she responded to actual Russian (not someone non-Russian speaking Russian) for perhaps two months after she came to the US. After that, nothing. In fact, within a couple of days, she was responding to what I was saying in English. Babies pick up things fast. Many of my friends who adopted internationally got the same question.

When it happened, it just seemed so ridiculous to me that this woman believed that by the time this child would be speaking words, that he would be speaking Korean. As if he wouldn’t learn anything from his English speaking parents (and everyone else around him) between the time he was three months old and old enough to talk. My mind was blown.

It was 2 years of me trying to get pregnant and I was at a baby shower sitting at a table with 4 pregnant women and one of my close friends said in conversation " HUSBANDS NAME just has to walk by me and I get pregnant."

Still can't. Do you have any control over the size of your babies or how you carry them. You are correct, like I said, why someone would even ask a question like that is as brain dead as one can get, but, you still shouldn't have been bothered, annoyed maybe, they were the ones stepping beyond their polite social behavior, not you. If, like you said, you are upset because of the lack of social sophistication of the woman, fine. You have every right to think the woman is a neanderthal, but, it certainly doesn't reflect any negative about yourself.

Please don’t mansplain to a 9 month pregnant woman how she should or should not feel about her weight and shape...just don’t.

Had the exact same thing said to me by a boy in junior high and it still stings, well into my 50s.

The worst things said to me, unfortunately like other posts, have been by my mother. After I gave birth to my son at the end of August, and was still swelled up like a balloon, she came to visit and told me it was "the fattest I had ever been" and then added, "And I'm really enjoying it". That was almost 20 years ago and it still hurts. She has lots of zingers and when confronted her response is that she says what she thinks!
I am not perfect, and as a parent, have said things my kids that I regret, especially in a heated moment, but she needs no trigger and has no remorse whatsoever.
My mom can be so insensitive about my weight as well. She thinks her remarks were to "help". They just sent me into an eating disorder in high school and then overeating in my 20s. I always try to remind my boys they are perfect how they are. We stress eating healthy and treats are a part of balance. I also encourage them to play outside and physical activity. I don't want them to ever think that I find their looks lacking and have it mess with them as they grow.

Grandmother to my sister (who has a severe eating disorder): "I will love you no matter how big and fat you get." (I think she likely meant well)

My mother to me: "Your father and I are probably getting a divorce and it's YOUR FAULT." (they didn't divorce)

My MIL to DH, in reference to his deceased father: "Your father never liked you."

MIL to DH (who was having a panic attack and said he felt like killing himself): "You should do it."

Grandmother to my sister (who has a severe eating disorder): "I will love you no matter how big and fat you get." (I think she likely meant well)

My mother to me: "Your father and I are probably getting a divorce and it's YOUR FAULT." (they didn't divorce)

My MIL to DH, in reference to his deceased father: "Your father never liked you."

MIL to DH (who was having a panic attack and said he felt like killing himself): "You should do it."
This is why I don't have a gun.

A high school boyfriend broke up with me but we stayed friends and I was still hoping we would get back together but he wasn't interested in me like that anymore. Fast forward a couple of weeks and he is at a dance dancing with my best friend- they kiss. Of course I am heartbroken and he said to me, "Wow, I never thought a girl as pretty as her would be interested in me." I was never the pretty girl.

My dad (no light-weight himself) liked to hassle people about their weight. He asked DH if he was expecting twins. I told dad to stop it, so he said it again.

I was 13 when my dad's sistergot divorced and moved in with us for a while. Looking back as an adult I can see that she was taking out all her bad feelings on me, saying many things when my parents were not around (sometimes her boyfriend was---he backed her up, as he did in this case). The one that hurt awkward 13 year old me so much that I still can'T really feel close to her was when she was ranting about various imagined issues I created and said that I could not possibly be my dad's child---no (insert my maiden name here) is so ugly and she knew she is not really related to me.

A few years ago, a coworker asked me what my weekend plans were and I told her that I was walking in the graduation ceremony for the MBA I had just finished. She laughed and said “What a waste of time. Not worth the paper they are printed on.” I still work with her and it still makes me mad when I think about it.

Back in 2003, as a student on my old college campus...

I was waiting to take the elevator from one of the upper floors down to the ground floor. The elevator door opened, and I walked in...apparently, in the middle of a conversation that this dumpy-looking older middle-aged married couple was having.

The wife paused, mid-conversation, as I walked into the elevator; apparently, she wanted to spontaneously get my random P.O.V. on the topic she and her husband were in the midst of debating. So she bluntly asks me:

"You're not gay, are you?"

More than a little bit taken aback, I replied, honestly:

"Actually, yes, I am." :flower3:

And, thrown for a loop (and probably slightly humbled), she goes:

"Oh."

Then, another beat passes, and she follows up her reaction by asking:

"But aren't you afraid of getting sick?"

To which I responded:

"Actually, I'm a virgin." (which I was, at that point in time)

Then she looks at her husband, rather salaciously, and exclaims:

"Ohhhhh! A gay virgin..."

As though I was some museum oddity... :love1:

I honestly felt like I had just talked into The Twilight Zone. :crazy:

Few years ago there was a couple in a grocery store and the woman was deciding between 2 types of tea and the man leaned over and said “ don’t get that one. Nothing good grows in India. There’s only dirt.

I took it as a sign to save as much money as I can and take my kids on different trips so they can learn about the world.

My heart goes out to soooooo many of you who responded to this post. The level of insensitivity and flat out meanness just amazes me.
Virtual hug for all of you!!!

My MIL, to me, regarding me homeschooling our developmentally disabled son, "I would not have made the decisions you made, I would have made better decisions."

Ugh. People can be awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter