What is cruise semi formal attire?

We’ve moved away from formal night. No more ties for the husband. It’s the night I do insist on long pants, but shorts and polo are fine the other nights. We cruise a lot and packing is a pain. Casual dresses for me. We don’t do pictures anymore! But enjoy watching families get their pictures done on formal night. We decline pictures at dinner too.

So what if you are wearing a sport coat and the person beside you has on shorts and a polo? Does it really change your experience?
"Formal" means tuxedo, and most people go to dinner wearing T-shirts. Yes, wearing a tuxedo while my neighbors are in t-shirts is a decidedly different experience than an entire dining room in formal attire.

"Formal" means tuxedo, and most people go to dinner wearing T-shirts. Yes, wearing a tuxedo while my neighbors are in t-shirts is a decidedly different experience than an entire dining room in formal attire.
What other people wear has never really changed my meal or other experience. But that’s what makes us all different.

Probably speaks to why Disney is good with whatever. Formal wear is simply becoming a thing of the past…

What other people wear has never really changed my meal or other experience. But that’s what makes us all different.

Probably speaks to why Disney is good with whatever. Formal wear is simply becoming a thing of the past…
I feel like you're not reading my posts completely. I'd be 100% okay with Disney eliminating formal night. I'd actually prefer it, as I don't like formal wear either, especially on a cruise when luggage space is at a premium. My problem isn't with the way people dress for dinner, it's the way Disney creates misleading expectations by SAYING they're doing a formal night, and then not.

First choice: Cruise casual, always
Second choice: Formal night, defined and enforced
Third choice: Saying it's formal night but it's really cruise casual.

I agree. To each their own. We like to dress up to acknowledge the dining room staff that we appreciate their hard work in presenting this special dinner. Equivalent to dressing up for a wedding and acknowledging all their preparations to make us feel welcome on their special day. But that is just us.
And us 100%.
We always take a smart change of clothes for every night in the MDR and formal long gowns for formal night. We take the same changes of clothes for the littlies so that they too look smart. On every cruise the head server has complimented them and told us how appreciated it was.

And us 100%.
We always take a smart change of clothes for every night in the MDR and formal long gowns for formal night. We take the same changes of clothes for the littlies so that they too look smart. On every cruise the head server has complimented them and told us how appreciated it was.
"Smart" and "cruise casual" are not mutually exclusive. I wear the same (very nice) silk shirts to the beach as I wear to dinner, outside of formal night.

To be honest, as a non-cruiser, if there is one thing that would put me off going on a cruise, it’s this “formal” and “semi-formal” stuff. Such a concept would go down like a lead balloon if introduced in the resort hotels or theme parks, and for good reason. I can only assume it exists because it has been a traditional shipboard thing for centuries, but in 2022 I would have no desire to pack a fancy outfit for one single dinner, or to feel like the sloppy guy wearing normal clothes when many are dressed up,
Then why are you on a "DCL" board? Honest question

Then why are you on a "DCL" board? Honest question
DISboards is the only site I've ever been on where people talk about the different sub-forums as if they're entirely different boards. Most people don't navigate the site by drilling into a particular sub-forum, they just click "New Posts" and browse what seems interesting.

"Smart" and "cruise casual" are not mutually exclusive. I wear the same (very nice) silk shirts to the beach as I wear to dinner, outside of formal night.
We just prefer to have a completely fresh change of more dressy clothes for each evening as opposed to anything that we have worn before or during the day. It’s just our family way. It’s exactly the same as we do at home or what we did whilst spending the day in the theme parks and then eating at the Californian Grill for example.
Yes we have to pay additionally for all our hold luggage, but it’s just the way we are. I’ve just spent nearly two weeks in Antigua with family and friends and we all did exactly the same. Beach attire. Back to shower. Fresh smart casual dresses for the ladies matching jewellery per outfit and can’t tell you about the men as I didn’t notice lol!
It’s probably unusual but we enjoy it!

We just prefer to have a completely fresh change of more dressy clothes for each evening as opposed to anything that we have worn before or during the day.
I meant the same type of shirts, not the same outfit from the day. Yes, we shower and change before dinner.

I meant the same type of shirts, not the same outfit from the day. Yes, we shower and change before dinner.
Yes I understood that, but the kind of thing we wear during the evening would not be appropriate for the beach as we take a variety of more dressy dresses for evenings which if I’m going in the ocean or lazing on the sands would not be suitable at all. The beach is shorts or flowy pants or something similar tops and swimwear and cover ups. Our dresses for the evening would be totally impractical.

We’ve moved away from formal night. No more ties for the husband. It’s the night I do insist on long pants, but shorts and polo are fine the other nights. We cruise a lot and packing is a pain. Casual dresses for me. We don’t do pictures anymore! But enjoy watching families get their pictures done on formal night. We decline pictures at dinner too.

I put a tie on with a dress shirt and slacks, but that is it these days. Packing a suit for a few hours one night isn't a good use of space for me, sine we only do carryon now. I do like the feel of formal night and it is fun to see everyone dressed up. It add a certain ambiance to the ship. But I don't judge those who don't, particularly since I don't go all-in either.

Wanted to comment at photos at dinner. We made the mistake of saying yes the first night of our last cruise. I thought it would be a quick snap. It was more like 8, with the photographer insisting our children get up and stand behind us, then pose this way and that. It was a big "no thank you" after that night, because mid-dinner isn't a good time for an extended photo shoot. It seems they would get more takers (and potential sales) if they just kept it short and sweet, without making people get up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter